Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: The Witcher 2: total rubbish?  (Read 35073 times)

Grishnak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Witcher 2: total rubbish?
« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2011, 06:14:50 pm »

Yeah, GoG version didnt have the drm, so you didnt need the patch, or suffer any of hte performance issues. Lucky bastard. :P

Also, check my edit on the other post, if you would please. I edited it just after you posted. :/
I'm a saint when it comes to pirating.  I've ripped and burned many a .iso, went .rar at my maties and sailed the .7z's.
Blog for my new roguelike Lost Horizon. <- kind of on hold
My SoundCloud
My Youtube Channel

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2011, 06:33:57 pm »

So just finished it.  (Played on Hard mode, of course)
Overall opinion: Good game, as long as you ignore the bullshit controls. WTB, at the very least, target lock and potentially pause & target select so I don't leap past the hoard of critters to go smash the bunny rabbit behind them, and then attempt to light a torch.

Only other problem I had was: doing the alchemy path, so many places where you can't properly drink potions and set up, and one place where even if you do it takes so long they all wear off. 
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 27, 2011, 07:31:52 pm »

I got a few mods for this. My favorite is the one that extends potion and oil durations to 30 minutes. Second favorite is the one that extends UI tooltips for the items.

Thump

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2011, 09:29:44 pm »

I got a few mods for this. My favorite is the one that extends potion and oil durations to 30 minutes. Second favorite is the one that extends UI tooltips for the items.

Oooh.. where do we get these?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 27, 2011, 09:51:08 pm »

Here ya go:
http://www.gog.com/en/forum/the_witcher_2/full_list_of_mods/page1

I also use the zero weight mod too. But mostly because the inventory UI is so crap that I really can't be bothered finding what needs to be sold etc.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 28, 2011, 12:23:55 am »

Point is he was feeling RAEG at that point because someone killed his benefactor. And if he did run off, he'd some day have bounty hunters knocking on his door with 10 crossbowmen behind them. And I don't think he'd be up to the challenge when he's like 60 (enough ranged enemies can fuck you up even in gameplay logic).

I wouldn't know about the human route yet, though. I was hoping to get the patch before continuing.
I don't know either, but It's my bet.

From my perspective, all lead me to believe Geralt just wanted to get the hell off, more like he was stuck in that situation. My main cringe about that scene in particular, was him not jumping after the douche. As for the king, he was one of the best characters in the game.

Fighting him in plain melee I occassionally received an unblockable aard to the face with little to no warning. Did you fight him only with things available to you in the prologue?
My main problem against him would have been the lack of throwing weapons if we fought in the prologue. Otherwise that shield power at level 1 is more than enough to never be damaged. I just kept my distance from where I could dodge incoming stuff and whenever he came to attack he received a bomb/knife/etc to the face and then was beaten until he blocked. If he's shielded, just put a trap power/item to the ground then beat him. If he ever hits you, you're shielded, so no biggie. The only danger is when you have to waist for your power to recharge, but then you just gotta keep your distance and run around. Rince repeat, like every boss battle. I was expecting it to be harder, but the sad part is that I bet you get the same cutscene whether you win or not, just like
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Right. So you just hate cutscenes all together. Fair enough. Though I'd save that as a complaint for when there are no bigger problems considering how common this is.
When they are like this and you get a few of them in the same game, very much so. Don't get me wrong, Dragon Age was much worse with the cutscenes as I think the whole serious-cliche-is-serious is much more annoying as you play instead of having contradictory cutscenes. Dragon Age didn't even have the funny dialogs to make up for any of it either, you got "Enchantments?". In the wither 2 you get crazy dorfs asking about Geralt's sex life. Course being pissy and being annoyed at them are different things.

The only other game that made me rage this bad at the cutscenes was GTA:SA. They were overall good and fitting, but the ones where they had you build up your gang hood just to go into a series of cutscenes where you are fucked up and you lose all that work made me stop playing for a while.

I'm just explaining the source of these things. The story in the games is supposed to be a continuation of the books. They could hardly rewrite how he ended up where he did, don't you think?

Anyway, this sorta feels pointless. You can't accept the difference between gameplay and cutscene logic and that's fine. I can to a certain extent (as probably can most). Furthermore, I still look towards the books for explanations as to why Geralt acts the way he does since it's a continuation. You don't. Not gonna see eye to eye here.
I think that if you require a book to understand what's going on, the game is lacking. I don't mind the background bit where he feels pity for the kid and get stabbed. I do mind, like I've said, when I'm playing through the game, win a battle and the cutscene tells me I lost.

Mildly off-topic, in that it's in regards to the original Witcher, but it's been driving me absolutely crazy as I've been replaying it.

Why in all the hells is one of Geralt's 'finishing moves' him grabbing his sword by the blade, and clubbing the downed enemy over the head with the hilt? WHY?!
He's Geralt. He's that badass. If he was in DF, he would use chopped up limbs to crush people's skulls and kill trolls with a single thrown stone.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2011, 02:01:48 am »

I just finished the game.

The ending is quite interesting. On one hand, it clearly... CLEARLY shows signs of sequeltitis. There's literally no closure or explanation for what you have achieved throughout the course of the game. It does, however, give very good explanations and closure to your actual quest. Which I guess is the actual point of it all. The ending seems really hurried though, like they had to meet a deadline.

I guess it's weird that this game teaches players to give up on many things, unlike many other RPGs out there. It does a good job of breaking the illusion that the player is the single focal point of everything in the world and that everything revolves around the player. In the Witcher, it has this good feeling that you're there doing your thing for your own goal. Other things happen along the way but regardless of how you participated, or never participated at all, it's not your job to know how everything turns out. You get lots of clues, signs, etc. of what happened in other places and quests that you weren't a part of but in the end of it all, you can only know the result of your own quest.

And that's pretty mature in its own way.

Edit: What was the freaking point of putting literally MORE THAN TEN super epic high spec ultra loot in the very last 5 minutes of the game? What was I going to use 4 different kinds of super ultra armour on? The single final boss remaining?

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 28, 2011, 03:04:19 pm »

I'm considering uninstalling it. Cutscenes pissed me off again and controls keep locking up.

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 28, 2011, 03:28:22 pm »

Targeting makes me rage a little. "ok, the guy right in front of me will die in one more hit *click* oh, why did the target change to the guy in the back...Uh-oh, surrounded...Dead, damn."

Thump

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 28, 2011, 03:50:17 pm »

Also, anybody got any tips for surviving fights vs. multiple people? The nekker caves destroyed me a few times, and in most fights with more than one enemy I end up rolling away, hitting something, rolling away, hitting something... and if the targeting goes out of whack (which it can) I end up attacking something BEHIND the other enemies and getting trapped/killed.

^

I think this got lost in the thread, still curious if anybody has any tips. hehe

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 28, 2011, 03:54:33 pm »

I find that hit and run works, and making use of what you have. Like, bombs for example. Still, it is a huge pain in the rear.

Also, question, the Witcher sword (the silver one that you lose in the dragon, but can craft again), what use is it? Does it do bonus damage on specific creatures?

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 28, 2011, 04:10:03 pm »

Also, anybody got any tips for surviving fights vs. multiple people? The nekker caves destroyed me a few times, and in most fights with more than one enemy I end up rolling away, hitting something, rolling away, hitting something... and if the targeting goes out of whack (which it can) I end up attacking something BEHIND the other enemies and getting trapped/killed.

^

I think this got lost in the thread, still curious if anybody has any tips. hehe
Gob some damage-enhancing potions before. And engage the enemies only when you've got the quen sign on, otherwise run around and wait for the vigor to restore. That'll save you some health for every targetting fluke that throws you in the middle of a crowd. Also, be sure to get the foot work and the whirlwind skills in the swordsman branch (assuming that's what you're focusing on). These respectively double your dodge roll distance and allow your attacks to hit multiple enemies (rather than just swing right past anything that ain't targetted).

Also, question, the Witcher sword (the silver one that you lose in the dragon, but can craft again), what use is it? Does it do bonus damage on specific creatures?
Don't think there's anything special about it compared to other silver swords. Especially considering there's diagram of a robust version of it available at the blacksmiths, I think. Just use it against monsters.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 28, 2011, 04:11:57 pm »

What exactly is a Witcher anyway?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 28, 2011, 04:15:40 pm »

Based off Witcher 1 and not the books, they're monster hunters who go above and beyond the call of duty to know their prey and defeat them, usually using alchemy to modify their physiology.

Think of it like a detective who hunts serial killers by immersing themselves in the world, habits and culture of serial killers. They're very good at their jobs but they don't inspire a lot of trust. What separates them from other hunters is the giving up of their unsullied humanity for the sake of job performance.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 28, 2011, 04:17:50 pm »

What exactly is a Witcher anyway?
A human who underwent alchemy-induced mutation at a young age in order to be able to use ability enhancing potions without dying of poisoning, and was taught swordsmanship and use of signs (simpler kind of magic), all for the purpose of hunting monsters too fast and powerful for normal humans.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13