Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: The Witcher 2: total rubbish?  (Read 35003 times)

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Witcher 2: total rubbish?
« on: May 17, 2011, 07:29:18 pm »

The battle system is bland. The Witcher may have been a clicking simulator to some, but it was still better than this.
The dialogue is a load of Mass Effect/Dragon Age-like t*ss. In The Withcher, you chose what the character said. Here, you click a 2-word phrase, and the character goes off on a tangent spanning several sentences.
But the best part is, you can't drink potions in battle. That's kind of their purpose? Instead of hitting the hotkey assigned to a potion you have to be out of battle, use the quick select wheel to choose "meditate", then click "drink potion", then choose up to 3 potions, then wish you had the physical copy to snap the dvd.
The only improvement I am able to detect is that now your inventory is limited by item weight, not the number of items you carry. Still, having a limited inventory is the recipe for extremely dull times, so the best way to improve it would've been to get rid of the limit altogether.

I'm better now. So what did you think about it?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 07:34:53 pm by kotekzot »
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Withcher 2: total rubbish?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 07:33:43 pm »

I think if you're gonna critique something, you should at least spell the name of it right.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 07:36:03 pm »

I think if you're gonna critique something, you should at least spell the name of it right.
This is precisely the opposite of what I value the Bay 12 community for.
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
Re: The Witcher 2: total rubbish?
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 08:09:04 pm »

Troll post is troll. You can't have played the original game if you don't have even the slightest hint that Potions are used differently - they're more of a buff system. This was a major thing so it's impossible to have missed.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 08:13:23 pm »

I have played it a long time ago, since it came out a long time ago. I do remember potions being useful, though, so please remind me how they worked.
And yes, I'm raging because i liked the original and was looking forward to the sequel, instead I got a DA clone and am now mad.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 08:14:30 pm »

I have played it a long time ago, since it came out a long time ago. I do remember potions being useful, though, so please remind me how they worked.
And yes, I'm raging because i liked the original and was looking forward to the sequel, instead I got a DA clone and am now mad.

Potions were pretty much /exactly the same/ in the original.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 08:18:25 pm »

I just went on youtube and saw Geralt drinking potions without kneeling in The Witcher. What's your point again? And yes, swallow isn't a +90 vitality or whatever, it's +x% vitality regeneration. That's not the point here, the point is potions need to be used in combat, which is impossible in The Witcher 2.

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 08:20:29 pm »

The battle system is bland. The Witcher may have been a clicking simulator to some, but it was still better than this.
The dialogue is a load of Mass Effect/Dragon Age-like t*ss. In The Withcher, you chose what the character said. Here, you click a 2-word phrase, and the character goes off on a tangent spanning several sentences.
But the best part is, you can't drink potions in battle. That's kind of their purpose? Instead of hitting the hotkey assigned to a potion you have to be out of battle, use the quick select wheel to choose "meditate", then click "drink potion", then choose up to 3 potions, then wish you had the physical copy to snap the dvd.
The only improvement I am able to detect is that now your inventory is limited by item weight, not the number of items you carry. Still, having a limited inventory is the recipe for extremely dull times, so the best way to improve it would've been to get rid of the limit altogether.

I'm better now. So what did you think about it?

I didn't realy like the first game too much, it just seemed so mundane. I got part way into the 2nd chapter and just gave up.

I might get the second anyway, they might have made it more varied and interesting, but I'm gonna wait a while and see what people are saying.

They're not still doing the cards are they?

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 08:25:36 pm »

Cards? Like in gambling? I only remember playing poker with dice in The Witcher. I gave up halfway through The Witcher 2's first chapter, so can't really say.

Yodamaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 08:47:09 pm »

Waiting for performance patches before I play. From what I've seen so far though, I have liked it. Replaying the Witcher 1 now while I wait. It'll also be nice to be able to import a save :).

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 08:56:46 pm »

Too bad I've misplaced my save. I wonder if you wake up with another woman if you gave the finger to Merigold? I think I gave the kid away to that wench with the angry landlady.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 02:55:39 am »

This is precisely the opposite of what I value the Bay 12 community for.

Ah, wonderful. I'm glad you see us as all exactly the same people with the same values and attitudes.

But seriously, its been said earlier, potions have been used pretty much the same way. Getting angry enough that you would snap the disk if you had it says you have far more problems with the game than you should
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 05:03:18 am »

Here's a list of things that I find better than in TW1:
-English voice acting and script is no longer inane. In fact, I sort of prefer it to the Polish version.
-Combat feels less random and despite being more action-oriented, is harder.
-Animations are better. They were plain weird in combat in TW1 (who the hell does backflips during close combat??). Not to mention dialogue animations.
-No longer using the horribly performing Aurora engine.

Granted, the combat irks me at times. Geralt no longer remembers how to deflect arrows apparently, and the targetting system has a mind of its own. But I'd still rather have troubles in this than having the group-combat style massacres from TW1.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 05:42:37 am »

Hmm... I've been thinking about playing the first game for a while now, but I don't speak Polish yet.  Yeah, I know there's an English release, but still, I usually prefer the original flavor and so on and so forth.

Anyway, that aside, since y'all seem pretty excited about it... can you give me a little bit of information?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 06:49:03 am »

who the hell does backflips during close combat??

You've never watched Buffy the Vampire Slayer? :P
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13