Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Literrally ripping the clothes off Merchants / Traders / Caravan Guards / Liason  (Read 6442 times)

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"W-w-wine.  S-sir."

"Hmmm", Urist fluffed his massive beard out in full display, " and what have yeh for letting you leave alive?"

The Elf blinked.  He tried hard to stare down the Dwarf, he even managed an indignant "You wouldn't dare!"  Flushed with outrage he almost felt warm again.  Then his guards began to whimper, the youngest outright started to cry.  He deflated, "Everything you see before you," he sighed.

As the Elves trudged away, empty handed, empty of pride, flinching in shame when the Dwarven Broker shouted at them "And next year bring more pigtail clothe!"  They almost missed the change in the Dwarf's laughter as it turned cruel and hard edged, as they crossed the threshold to the Dwarf Home, where the flagstones were stained a deep dark brown.

They did not miss hearing the clang of the portcullis dropping in front and behind.  The youngest gaurd let out an inarticulate scream for he had heard tales, told to Elf children to frighten them, he hadn't believed, but he did remember.  Not that it did him any good now...
+1
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile

Urist thoughtfully stroked his beard as he looked over the trader's wears. "Alright, laddeh...wot d'yeh wont fer these 'ere barrels full o' wine?" he queried, his eyes filled with a ravenous hunger as he studied the contents, watching a few flakes of early-spring snow drift down into the opening. Behind the barrel, shivering and desperately struggling to conceal himself, Eril the Elf Merchant stammered "O-Our clothes back, s-s-sir D-dwarf!"
Urist grunted and continued to slowly stroke his beard for some time. When he had finally replied, the steadily falling snow had nearly reached the top of his boots. "Alrigh', lad. Boot it'll cost yeh. What've yeh go' in those barrels o'er there?"
"W-w-wine.  S-sir."

"Hmmm", Urist fluffed his massive beard out in full display, " and what have yeh for letting you leave alive?"

The Elf blinked.  He tried hard to stare down the Dwarf, he even managed an indignant "You wouldn't dare!"  Flushed with outrage he almost felt warm again.  Then his guards began to whimper, the youngest outright started to cry.  He deflated, "Everything you see before you," he sighed.

As the Elves trudged away, empty handed, empty of pride, flinching in shame when the Dwarven Broker shouted at them "And next year bring more pigtail clothe!"  They almost missed the change in the Dwarf's laughter as it turned cruel and hard edged, as they crossed the threshold to the Dwarf Home, where the flagstones were stained a deep dark brown.

They did not miss hearing the clang of the portcullis dropping in front and behind.  The youngest gaurd let out an inarticulate scream for he had heard tales, told to Elf children to frighten them, he hadn't believed, but he did remember.  Not that it did him any good now...

VICTORY!
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.

Define "useless crap".
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.

What's wrong with Large Gems? :P
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile

They don't DO anything.

They just clutter up your stockpile till they get traded away. The only use most trade goods have is to slowly remove loose stones from your fort in a manner that brings in usefull things (Large steel serrated disks for example).
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

Chocolatemilkgod

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding fortesses with magma since 2010
    • View Profile

They don't DO anything.

They just clutter up your stockpile till they get traded away. The only use most trade goods have is to slowly remove loose stones from your fort in a manner that brings in usefull things (Large steel serrated disks for example).

In fact the Large gems made from gemstone (ie not glass) don't get stockpiled correctly, IIRC. So they're even more of a hassle.
Dwarf 1: This is the worst part... The calm before the battle.
Dwarf 2: And then the battle is not so bad?
Dwarf 1: Oh...right. I forgot about the battle.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They don't DO anything.

In fact the Large gems made from gemstone (ie not glass) don't get stockpiled correctly, IIRC. So they're even more of a hassle.
Yep, but this is new between 31.25 and 31.21, my fort in .21 had large gems and they were neatly stored in bins in their stockpile, when I upgraded to 31.25 and moved my large gems stockpile they won't get moved...  :'(
In the plus side they finally placed wooden blocks in the stockpile menu, so you can stockpile these in bins now....

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Regarding the OP (and not the naked elves/large gem stockpiles sidetracking...) I believe it was shown some time ago that the size of the caravan depends on how old the fort is, i.e. in the first year they bring a smaller quantity of goods, which increases each year up to a maximum.  If you short-change them then they'll bring lower-value stuff, up until they get so mad that they send soldiers instead of a caravan.  IIRC this was a cheap trick to get the elves to bring more caged animals and less g-d damned bins of cloth, which are expensive for their weight.

Personally I've never been so desperate for clothes that I've stripped the merchants, but I've occasionally borrowed a steel spear or helm from the guards in the first couple of seasons.  They make so much profit from me later on that I consider it a loan ;)
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Personally I've never been so desperate for clothes that I've stripped the merchants, but I've occasionally borrowed a steel spear or helm from the guards in the first couple of seasons.  They make so much profit from me later on that I consider it a loan ;)

Same here, generally speaking.  I did have one trade session with an inexperienced broker where I felt like we got screwed over, but I needed the booze and the food, so I grabbed some armor and weapons in retaliation.  I just thought of it like a dorf sneaking around the corner and grabbing the stuff while the guard's taking a break inside the depot.  After all, who wouldn't set down a heavy spear and take off a helm when possible?   :D
DF sets out a challenge to us with no explanation and no assistance, and each time we fail it becomes more merciless, but we continue in the hopes that we can show it, "See?  I'm doing good, right?  I kept the little men alive!  You're proud of me, right?"

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Same here, generally speaking.  I did have one trade session with an inexperienced broker where I felt like we got screwed over, but I needed the booze and the food, so I grabbed some armor and weapons in retaliation.  I just thought of it like a dorf sneaking around the corner and grabbing the stuff while the guard's taking a break inside the depot.  After all, who wouldn't set down a heavy spear and take off a helm when possible?   :D
maybe even a "pig tail loincloth" or "rope reed thong" when they're bent over picking something they dropped!!!  :D

LonelyZues

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"W-w-wine.  S-sir."

Can someone explain to me the last part? Are we talking about the bridge there or what?

gentgeen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Some would consider a wall grate attached to a lever or pressure plate to be roughly similar to a portcullis.

LonelyZues

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah... that explain a lot. Ouch, and must say, I feel sorry for the elves, they didn't get the premium package. No wooden bin was offered to them.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Follow up, year 5 (or so), I got more merchants back this time 6 merchants, 6 guards, liason and a human diplomat, (and a nice goblin ambush and thieves, yay!!) my merchants only brought about 7k worth of woods, although I did place orders for heavy stuff, like metals and rocks, is there a max amount of animals per caravan??

I mean if I order heavy stuff they bring more burden animals, but does that occupy the space of other more valuable goods? or they would (if I haven't been ripping them off) just bring even more burden animals in other to bring the extra value plus the heavy stuff??

I'm ripping them off again, just this time I'm repaying them by letting them have a huge profit in trade, let's see what happens next year....

By the way has anyone tested if you can rip off invader's clothes?? I believe it can be done (if your dwarf survives).... maybe a heavy armoured hauler??

New military tactic!!! send heavy armoured (adamantine??) haulers to rip off invader's weapons and then beat their defenceless butts!!!  :P  on second thought the haulers will probably get scared and cancel the dump job... !SCIENCE! required!!!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 03:42:07 pm by Kaos »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4