Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Literrally ripping the clothes off Merchants / Traders / Caravan Guards / Liason  (Read 6421 times)

Manae

• Bay Watcher
  • Smile
    • View Profile

Theoretically, yes? But non-military dwarves would be scared away before they got close enough, and military dwarves would go into a blood craze and try to beat them to death with their own XXSocksXX if you sent 'em out bare-handed to try it.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm necroing this to confirm that this "feature" still works in 34.02, happy shrewd commerce practices!

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Damn you for necroing this, i was reading the posts and thought necro had been unmuted :/
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

fluffhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I read through this and had a thought.  It seems that maybe it doesn't hurt your trade relations.  If it doesn't I have a theory as to why.  If you take the clothes off, then trade them back to the caravan, then the clothes will still be in the items that go off map.  So when checking the value of their goods, the numbers match. 

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I never have anything to trade by the first caravan, always too busy. I always rob em blind. Just claim and then dump over the entire depot, and the dwarves go to work.

Had a little trouble with that method lately, they don't start stripping them until they start leaving, so I think toady may be trying to fix that :p
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I read through this and had a thought.  It seems that maybe it doesn't hurt your trade relations.  If it doesn't I have a theory as to why.  If you take the clothes off, then trade them back to the caravan, then the clothes will still be in the items that go off map.  So when checking the value of their goods, the numbers match.
That was the thing I wasn't reselling them their own goods, I like to decorate all foreign goods to make them count as mine   before selling them.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Damn you for necroing this, i was reading the posts and thought necro had been unmuted :/

+1 :(

Plus, I still prefer flooding merchants off a cliff. I only want the weapons dammit! Keep yer damn clothes!

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

+1 :(

Plus, I still prefer flooding merchants off a cliff. I only want the weapons dammit! Keep yer damn clothes!
Getting those +steel breastplate+ and +steel helm+ from the caravan guards, sure is helpful ;)

And stealing the +pig tail loincloth+ or the +cave spider thong+ sure is hilarious!! XD

Jessoftherocks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grounds all green and mushy, in dungeons o Despair
    • View Profile

Why not encrust useless things with more useless things for profit!!!!
You obviously found a new species of smart kobold.
Way to go, you killed the only smart kobold's to have existed.
See? Not everyone avoids you!

FluidDynamite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Theoretically, yes? But non-military dwarves would be scared away before they got close enough, and military dwarves would go into a blood craze and try to beat them to death with their own XXSocksXX if you sent 'em out bare-handed to try it.

Seeing how people blinded siege operators to prevent them from being scared away, how about blinding the haulers?

I do enjoy the mental image of a bunch of blinded migrants charging straight into goblin sieges with their arms wildly flailing and tearing off whatever they get their hands on.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Blind haulers..... That would help greatly for hauling away those zombie corpses.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Blind haulers..... That would help greatly for hauling away those zombie corpses.

Doesn't work like that :/

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So just for clarification...I can steal the clothes off their backs, sell them back....do they then put them back on, or do they partake in Dwarven Nekkid Time™? And if they put them back on...how many times can you steal the same clothes from a set of merchants and thus make them ecstatic about the great deals they're getting......buying their own clothes in return for everything they own over a whole bunch of trades.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So just for clarification...I can steal the clothes off their backs, sell them back....do they then put them back on, or do they partake in Dwarven Nekkid Time™? And if they put them back on...how many times can you steal the same clothes from a set of merchants and thus make them ecstatic about the great deals they're getting......buying their own clothes in return for everything they own over a whole bunch of trades.
they don't put them back on, if you sell them back is the same as you were selling any other clothes, they become part of the caravan inventory.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

Ok... let's say for a moment that I ordered an epic buttload of small cut gems from the local dwarf civ.

I bulk dump the whole depot, except a single plump helmet.

I then unforbid the gems from the conveniently nearby dump, and issue them taken to the depot for trade.  I then trade all of them back for said plump helmet.

Does this create "absolutely batshit crazy trade balance" out of thin air? If so, does dumping the caravan again to get the gems still count the retardedly high trade balance when they leave?

This could create exponentially huge caravans without producing a damn thing!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4