Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Literrally ripping the clothes off Merchants / Traders / Caravan Guards / Liason  (Read 6420 times)

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can rip-off the Merchants / Traders / Caravan Guards / Liason by "v"iewing -> "i"nventory unforbid (claim) all the items they are wearing, then enter each item and mark it for "D"umping, your dwarves will come, rip their clothes off, and "D"ump them, the Traders don't seem to mind that you leave them naked!!!  :D

It doesn't seem to affect the trading amount for next caravan calculations, I did the aboveI calculated the value of their worn clothes/weapons I bought off the whole caravan, and their profit wouldn't cover for the ripped-off clothes, nonetheless they brought a bigger caravan next year with more traders and guards that left naked again!!!  :D

Couchmonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nude Party! :D I bet elves will like that!

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Something that makes it even easier? Unless this has changed from .23, items worn/carried by caravans appear in your stocks while they're on the map. You can unforbid and dump all the (steel breastplates/battle axes/chainmail shirts) at once using that method! Of course, once you already have some, using this mass method can get a bit messy.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

Something that makes it even easier? Unless this has changed from .23, items worn/carried by caravans appear in your stocks while they're on the map. You can unforbid and dump all the (steel breastplates/battle axes/chainmail shirts) at once using that method! Of course, once you already have some, using this mass method can get a bit messy.
Just [tab], and only dump the forbidden ones, then unforbid all of them.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Manae

• Bay Watcher
  • Smile
    • View Profile

As I understand it, though, traders include their worn goods when calculating the net value of a trade when leaving the map. In short, stealing their clothes and armor is no different than if you simply seized similar goods right out of the depot. They may not immediately complain when you do it this way, but ultimately it'll show in your trading as you get more and more literal crap and nothing useful each year.

Trails

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As I understand it, though, traders include their worn goods when calculating the net value of a trade when leaving the map. In short, stealing their clothes and armor is no different than if you simply seized similar goods right out of the depot. They may not immediately complain when you do it this way, but ultimately it'll show in your trading as you get more and more literal crap and nothing useful each year.
It doesn't seem to affect the trading amount for next caravan calculations, I did the aboveI calculated the value of their worn clothes/weapons I bought off the whole caravan, and their profit wouldn't cover for the ripped-off clothes, nonetheless they brought a bigger caravan next year with more traders and guards that left naked again!!!  :D
It appears further !!SCIENCE!! is necessary.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile

not that this has been possible since 40d. it might have been possible during the 2d versions as well, i just haven't played those
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It appears further !!SCIENCE!! is necessary.
Indeed, although is kind of annoying to check every single item and sum their values.... I ended up summing at a birds flight, so I got an aproximate not the actual amount...

In my sample I calculated that aproximatelly:
-one "civilian", namely merchant, trader or liason carries between 1.000* and 1.500* (let's say 1.250*) in gear and
-the "military", namely caravan guards carry 2.500* in gear each

If I recall correctly I got:
5 guards = 12.500*,
5 merchants = 6.250*,
1 liason = 1.250*
Total = 20.000*

If I recall correctly I rounded up to the 20k figure, the actual figure wasn't yet there...
My merchants didn't get 20k in profit, next year their caravan was bigger, not sure if it was more valuable, but they indeed brought more people and load animals, I'm not sure but I think they did brought some heavy stones... maybe it was that.... but I'm not 100% sure.... I'm remembering this and my memory is not that good  :P

Any ideas in how to standarize to do some !!science!!???

« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 03:23:06 pm by Kaos »

Chocolatemilkgod

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding fortesses with magma since 2010
    • View Profile

Ooooh. Never knew you could do that. Clothes are actually worth quite a bit, so you can trade their clothes with them again :)
Dwarf 1: This is the worst part... The calm before the battle.
Dwarf 2: And then the battle is not so bad?
Dwarf 1: Oh...right. I forgot about the battle.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile

Ooooh. Never knew you could do that. Clothes are actually worth quite a bit, so you can trade their clothes with them again :)
Urist thoughtfully stroked his beard as he looked over the trader's wears. "Alright, laddeh...wot d'yeh wont fer these 'ere barrels full o' wine?" he queried, his eyes filled with a ravenous hunger as he studied the contents, watching a few flakes of early-spring snow drift down into the opening. Behind the barrel, shivering and desperately struggling to conceal himself, Eril the Elf Merchant stammered "O-Our clothes back, s-s-sir D-dwarf!"
Urist grunted and continued to slowly stroke his beard for some time. When he had finally replied, the steadily falling snow had nearly reached the top of his boots. "Alrigh', lad. Boot it'll cost yeh. What've yeh go' in those barrels o'er there?"
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Put that dorf to death for not stealing their stuff and killing them anyway.
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Dwarves really make for shrewd traders, eh?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile

Put that dorf to death for not stealing their stuff and killing them anyway.
Dwarves can't have a little fun with the hippies before putting them out?
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Only if they're caged/crippled so they can't run away.
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Urist thoughtfully stroked his beard as he looked over the trader's wears. "Alright, laddeh...wot d'yeh wont fer these 'ere barrels full o' wine?" he queried, his eyes filled with a ravenous hunger as he studied the contents, watching a few flakes of early-spring snow drift down into the opening. Behind the barrel, shivering and desperately struggling to conceal himself, Eril the Elf Merchant stammered "O-Our clothes back, s-s-sir D-dwarf!"
Urist grunted and continued to slowly stroke his beard for some time. When he had finally replied, the steadily falling snow had nearly reached the top of his boots. "Alrigh', lad. Boot it'll cost yeh. What've yeh go' in those barrels o'er there?"
"W-w-wine.  S-sir."

"Hmmm", Urist fluffed his massive beard out in full display, " and what have yeh for letting you leave alive?"

The Elf blinked.  He tried hard to stare down the Dwarf, he even managed an indignant "You wouldn't dare!"  Flushed with outrage he almost felt warm again.  Then his guards began to whimper, the youngest outright started to cry.  He deflated, "Everything you see before you," he sighed.

As the Elves trudged away, empty handed, empty of pride, flinching in shame when the Dwarven Broker shouted at them "And next year bring more pigtail clothe!"  They almost missed the change in the Dwarf's laughter as it turned cruel and hard edged, as they crossed the threshold to the Dwarf Home, where the flagstones were stained a deep dark brown.

They did not miss hearing the clang of the portcullis dropping in front and behind.  The youngest gaurd let out an inarticulate scream for he had heard tales, told to Elf children to frighten them, he hadn't believed, but he did remember.  Not that it did him any good now...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4