Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Facebook Integration  (Read 2133 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Facebook Integration
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2011, 02:12:14 pm »

There is no situation where updating your wall manually wouldn't be better.

Slax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2011, 02:39:07 pm »

Not updating anything on that hellish place will always be the superior choice.

Pips40

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2011, 08:22:08 pm »

Anybody who should know about DF already knows about it. But I know what you mean, like how people used to post all of that Farmville garbage on their walls, except it would be cool stuff like artifacts and sieges. Well, it wouldn't be very cool on facebook... God I need to delete my account.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2011, 08:44:23 pm »

I think it'd be awesome.
I could bombard all my loser "friends" (Meaning: People I haven't gotten around to deleting yet) with tales of my awesomeness. And magma.
But, I'd rather Toady focused on the game itself... Maybe a third-party could make something like this, as someone said. You could edit the settings to choose which events would be displayed...
Perhaps instead of individual updates, you could have like an 'activity stream' embedded in your page?
And then, it could be used for sites other than Facebook, too. :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2011, 11:17:14 pm »

I'm glad this community comes through with (only mild in)sanity. Forums overrun with people whose previous hardcore gaming was farmville? Does not want.

Besides, there's a huge subset of facebook users who think twitter is heavy reading. How far would they get, really?

Not to sound elitist.... but I like the atmosphere of having to earn a place here by figuring out the game, at least somewhat. It keeps most trolls away.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2011, 12:05:01 am »

Not exactly on topic, but it occurs to me that dwarf fortress is a lot like farmville. The overseer pokes you again and again to get you to do work, which you only grudgingly do if at all. Eventually you throw a tantrum and are beaten to death by the captain of the guard.

Or something like that.

But seriously, a dwarf fortress-themed facebook game would be a hit. Give it stonesense's graphics and have work take place slowly over time based on other people's participation, throw in crazy events and people would love it. It might even convince me to play it, though I avoid such things like a plague. Of course if it ever exists it should serve the purpose of providing Toady more income so he can do more stuff with the real dwarf fortress.
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2011, 02:21:32 am »

You could do this with Soundsense-style logs watching.

It is most certainly possible.

Not sure what messages you would want to post on your FB - forgotten beasts, possibly most interesting thing for non-df player that appears in log.

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2011, 03:10:50 am »

Nobody would have a single fucking clue what your random spam-updates were about and they'd probably tell you to shut up.

Roflcopter5000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2011, 03:12:53 am »

FB-FBs?

RayesKotrora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2011, 05:29:22 am »

When I first read this I thought of it as your fortress updating you when cool shit went down as a heads up to go and check it out.

But then I realised DF isn't real life and OP was talking about Facebook apps.

*Shudder*

Och skänk henne dessa vinflaskor in bed henne dricka all sorg ur sitt sinn.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2011, 05:40:45 am »

Automated processes? No. Just no.

If you want DF in facebook then why not just start a "we love dwarf fortress" group and upload stonesense screenshots or sketches or the like to that group? or just .. you know. Upload to your own page saying "i love dwarf fortress"
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2011, 05:43:25 am »

SnoopyChickem

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2011, 06:59:16 am »

This sounds really good, some of my facebook friends play dwarf fortress so it'd be nice to be able to see and comment on what was happening to them. Sort of like a having a thread dedicated to your adventures, but on facebook. So the people that are interested in my specific adventures can see and comment on them and I can see theirs.
Raised by wolves to wrestle bears for honey

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2011, 07:25:45 am »

This sounds really good, some of my facebook friends play dwarf fortress so it'd be nice to be able to see and comment on what was happening to them. Sort of like a having a thread dedicated to your adventures, but on facebook. So the people that are interested in my specific adventures can see and comment on them and I can see theirs.

While we're on the topic of "Facebook integration", the forums should get a 'like' button so I can click it for this post! :D

Oh, and I liked the page too.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3