Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: When did you stop believing in non-DF logic?  (Read 8319 times)

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
When did you stop believing in non-DF logic?
« on: May 16, 2011, 09:32:01 pm »

Because otherwise you are dealing with the problem of, how the heck does a bunny rabbit open a big granite door anyhow?
You have problems with that?

I stopped worrying about Real World Logic when I discovered a monarch butterfly's corpse could wedge a door open.
I stopped when I realized that soap can hold up an indefinite mass. In the magma sea.

So yeah. Post that moment. Mine was when I realized that you can make menacing spikes of ANYTHING, including yarn.
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
Re: When did you stop believing in non-DF logic?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 09:35:47 pm »

Someone can fall 30z levels and land on a kitten and be unharmed.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 10:06:20 pm »

You already posted mine.

I mean really, soap? A small pillar of soap can hold up several hundred thousand metric tons. That's when I said, "I give up."

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 06:26:23 am »

Mine was roundabout the point I discovered magma made for a suitable calculator.

Of course, it was also that which got me into Dwarf Fortress, so...
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 06:35:39 am »

Even if the big horrible monster about to kill you all is ridiculously huge, you can kill it easily if you drop a solid piece of rock on it. Encased in obsidian or ice works just as well too, because in the world of DF water flash-freezes instead of gradually getting an icecover.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 06:42:56 am »

When I discovered quantum stockpiles, and, in unrelated occurrences, also fully understood the implications of building big things out of ice and miscellaneous materials that don't thaw nor burn.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Coco146

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 07:10:53 am »

About 5 minutes after i started playing and 7 big burly dwarfs ran away from a badger.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 07:40:15 am »

I simply don't have enough !!Socks!!.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 08:50:14 am »

Hmmm, I'm not sure I remember... Possibly when I managed to cram 6+ animals into a single cage and watch them fight to the death? I dunno, was probably before that back in the mists of time, but oh well.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 08:59:21 am »

Perpetual motion machines (pump + waterwheel) that produce surplus power. Even if other game features strain credibility and bend the laws of physics, I can let most things slide by telling myself dwarves are superhuman engineers. But turning a pool of water and some wood/stone into an endless free power generator shatters the laws of physics and scatters the pieces.
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 09:00:06 am »

Mine was when I discovered that a dwarf falls through water at the same speed as falling through air.

The explosion at the bottom was beautiful though.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 09:18:43 am »

Honestly i still use non-df logic in df. i find it is mostly applicable it just need some, erm, minor alterations. Yes, minor alterations

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 10:17:49 am »

Perpetual motion machines (pump + waterwheel) that produce surplus power. Even if other game features strain credibility and bend the laws of physics, I can let most things slide by telling myself dwarves are superhuman engineers. But turning a pool of water and some wood/stone into an endless free power generator shatters the laws of physics and scatters the pieces.
Totally.

I can cope with everything else, it's required for the simulation, you can't have a perfectly real game, or it would be called reality, all that stuff.

But such a FLAGRANT violation of the 2nd law of thermodynamics is revulsing. This is why I always embark near a brook/river/flowing water.
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 10:24:18 am »

Totally.

I can cope with everything else, it's required for the simulation, you can't have a perfectly real game, or it would be called reality, all that stuff.

But such a FLAGRANT violation of the 2nd law of thermodynamics is revulsing. This is why I always embark near a brook/river/flowing water.

it's the first law. and after all, it's not a big deal - so what if conservation of energy seems violated?
For XIX century scientists, the Sun looked that way.
i'd easily explained it with the fact that dwarves put some hair from their beards into pumps they build and everyone know that dwarven beard contains an infinite amount of energy.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 11:42:09 am »

It was probably something to do with a single dwarf being able to turn a massive chunk of solid rock into a small lump that can be carried by hand... and then turned back into a solid wall again.
[Signature]
Pages: [1] 2 3