Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Why can the PC control doors?  (Read 5035 times)

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why can the PC control doors?
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 07:32:40 pm »

It would be nice to have a locksmith workshop that made locks and keys. Locks would be built and installed in doors or hatches. Keys would be built, choosing from a list of available locks to match. Keys could then be assigned to dwarfs in their preferences screen, like work animals, or "pick up key" could be a job at the workshop.  Only doors with locks installed would have the lock option, but others could still be kept tightly closed. Locked doors would only be impassable to those without the right key. Lock quality would determine how hard it would be to pick. Key quality plus lock quality would determine how fast the door can be opened by the holder of that key, figuring it takes some extra time to lock and unlock a door rather than just going through it.

As it stands now, I figure you are setting a policy, and it's up to the dwarfs to carry out that policy. That leaves open the question of just how that door two hundred squares away from any dwarf, with an open door policy, gets locked immediately when the hostiles come calling, but I figure that doors are always locked, every dwarf has a key they can use if they are allowed to, and they are all built with pet doors that can be locked separately. Because otherwise you are dealing with the problem of, how the heck does a bunny rabbit open a big granite door anyhow?

See? It's just policy, all doors are locked all the time but the dwarfs all have the key, and the pets get in and out through a separately lockable pet door. If you forgot to set the door as locked and something gets in, well, some dwarf forgot to lock the door the last time they wen through. Viola! Inconsistency solved through creative re-imagineering.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011, 08:22:09 pm »

Great, a legitimate question from a new user and we've got six consecutive joke/troll replies and nothing else. Good job.
I'm not necessarily a new user, but it just seemed really weird that you can control Dwarves and Doors? But whatever, I still think it's kind of cool.
Think of the scenario.

From the Journal of Datog Palathusmok, Elven General

1.The Fortress of MoltenDeath has gone too far! Too many of our caravans have been lost to their insolence! I swear this oath to our Druid and drunk: The fortress of Stesokrash will fall by dawn!
2. We have arrived on the base of Stesokrash! We've encountered several of the villanous woodcutters, performing their murderous and evil deeds. We pursued them, and though they were running in abject terror for several minutes, they suddenly turned on us with absolutely ferocious tenacity. Our noble bowelves have the 4 evil doers, despite having lost a dozen of our spearelves in the process. We have laid camp near the gates.
3. We've decided to venture into the depths of Stesokrash. In one of the tunnels We've also found the remains of our caravans. Poor fools...I swear they will be avenged. Strangely, there hasn't been any signs of fighting, just one phrase written in blood, over and over: the LORD OF DOORS SEES ALL.
4. Even more curious. In our previous dealings, these corridors were known to have been armed with the most terrifying and fearsome devices, of course, formed only in the minds of the foul Dwarves. However, they seem strangely empty...Only doors and more doors.
5. We've split into several search teams to cover more ground. We still haven't heard from the spearelves yet. Did the dwarves find them. Strange...I'm sure this door was unlocked when I last found it.
6. I've finally found it! I can hear the voices of those thrice damned Dwarves beyond this door, infused with their foul wines and steeped in dark, tree killing thoughts. But wait, why did it lock. And this door behind me, I just opened. What IS GOING ON?
7. They open and shut. Click and clack. I see the wine, the gold goblet, the sword of legends, I see the light of the sun. Click and clack. For who is theLORD OF DOORS ?
8. Blessed release! I feel the opening of the gates of hell! The burning of the blood of the mounta-

Yes, that's how I picture my mastery over the doors.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 09:01:26 pm by Mrhappyface »
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2011, 08:31:55 pm »

Great, a legitimate question from a new user and we've got six consecutive joke/troll replies and nothing else. Good job.
I'm not necessarily a new user, but it just seemed really weird that you can control Dwarves and Doors? But whatever, I still think it's kind of cool. Imagine an invading army running into a long corridor with an unlocked door at the end, only for the doors in front and back to lock mysteriously. Then the magma floodgates creak open...Listen to the screams of the invaders as they futilely bang their hands bloody against the doors, weeping pitifully as their flesh burns and their fat boils...Witness the power of the God of Dwarves and Doors.
Door Fortress:
Where you get to lock immigrants invaders in a room with cats that are in magma.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2011, 08:51:07 pm »

I'm not necessarily a new user, but it just seemed really weird that you can control Dwarves and Doors? But whatever, I still think it's kind of cool. Imagine an invading army running into a long corridor with an unlocked door at the end, only for the doors in front and back to lock mysteriously. Then the magma floodgates creak open...Listen to the screams of the invaders as they futilely bang their hands bloody against the doors, weeping pitifully as their flesh burns and their fat boils...Witness the power of the God of Dwarves and Doors.

I have no idea why I called you a new user. I think I had just seen a thread posted by a new user and some signals got crossed. Oh well.

But yeah, it definitely is odd that you can lock doors against invaders instantaneously. I think dwarves being unable to figure out which side is "in" or "out" is a pretty good argument against a lock-door job, though.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2011, 09:13:12 pm »

So essentially... we are the nobles.
And then Halnoth was a baron.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2011, 09:14:42 pm »

So essentially... we are the nobles.
We're what happens when there is no magma available.

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2011, 09:26:39 pm »

Because otherwise you are dealing with the problem of, how the heck does a bunny rabbit open a big granite door anyhow?
You have problems with that?

I stopped worrying about Real World Logic when I discovered a monarch butterfly's corpse could wedge a door open.

And then there is this quote that sums up DF Logic completely:

"...a tile is large enough to contain a dragon, but not large enough to contain two kittens without one of them crouching. A tile can theoretically contain 1,000 dragons as long as 999 of them aren't standing up."

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2011, 09:28:56 pm »

Because otherwise you are dealing with the problem of, how the heck does a bunny rabbit open a big granite door anyhow?

I stopped worrying about Real World Logic when I discovered a monarch butterfly's corpse could wedge a door open.
I stopped when I realized that soap can hold up an indefinite mass. In the magma sea.

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2011, 09:32:58 pm »

Made a thread for the logic thing, can we get back on topic? And it's because we're a ghost of a dorf with telepathic/telekinetic abilities. Sadly they make the dorfs we control retarded and forces them to drink booze to live.
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2011, 09:45:31 pm »

As it stands now, I figure you are setting a policy, and it's up to the dwarfs to carry out that policy. That leaves open the question of just how that door two hundred squares away from any dwarf, with an open door policy, gets locked immediately when the hostiles come calling, but I figure that doors are always locked, every dwarf has a key they can use if they are allowed to, and they are all built with pet doors that can be locked separately. Because otherwise you are dealing with the problem of, how the heck does a bunny rabbit open a big granite door anyhow?

I always liked conceptualizing forbidden doors as "forbidden by policy" rather than "locked", but the fact that they keep hostiles out is a problem. I expect that at some point that will go away, since it makes invaders behave very weirdly. We just need different pathfinding rules for fortress citizens vs. everyone else. Then if you want a securely locked door you'll link it to a lever, which provides the equivalent of a "lock/unlock door" job and solves the question of which side to lock it from.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2011, 10:14:28 am »

I stopped when I realized that soap can hold up an indefinite mass. In the magma sea.
Heck, you can attach your fortress to the skybox....with a pole of ash.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2011, 12:07:22 pm »

Hey, to be fair, now I remember, I am almost sure that dwarves regularly managed to unlock one door I kept locking in a previous fort, probably because it was in the way of a nice (but potentially dangerous - but again, what isn't in DF? - and deadly) shortcut. So, even that isn't foolproof.

Speaking of which, according to Toady, the role of the player is something like an abstract representation of all the fortress's official decision-making, such that anything the player does should ideally be said to be the choice of some actual official in the fortress itself. In other words, the player can do anything that could be considered an "official action". So you can order the production of goods and say that doors can be locked, but you can't, I don't know, possess dwarves and control them directly, or whatever.

So essentially... we are the nobles. NOOOOOOOOOOOO!
We have met the enemy, and he is us.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2011, 12:29:54 pm »

I suppose Toady thought doing it through dwarf job is too much hassle.

And I know what is official line, but I still think player is Armok. Too good fit.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2011, 12:34:45 pm »

To seriously attempt to answer the question: It is a little strange that it doesn't just create a "lock door" job or something similar, I guess, but that might be a little micromanagey. I assume that part is just abstracted out, as the actual decision to lock the door falls within the player's role.

Speaking of which, according to Toady, the role of the player is something like an abstract representation of all the fortress's official decision-making, such that anything the player does should ideally be said to be the choice of some actual official in the fortress itself. In other words, the player can do anything that could be considered an "official action". So you can order the production of goods and say that doors can be locked, but you can't, I don't know, possess dwarves and control them directly, or whatever.
Ah, so nobles officially decide on autogenocide. I guess they really do have brain damage.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2011, 01:37:38 pm »

To seriously attempt to answer the question: It is a little strange that it doesn't just create a "lock door" job or something similar, I guess, but that might be a little micromanagey. I assume that part is just abstracted out, as the actual decision to lock the door falls within the player's role.

Ah, so nobles officially decide on autogenocide. I guess they really do have brain damage.
No, they do not. But they really, REALLY want to.
Pages: 1 [2] 3