Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Why can the PC control doors?  (Read 5037 times)

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why can the PC control doors?
« on: May 16, 2011, 03:09:02 pm »

I've always wondered about this. Why is the Player Character, who's ability is usually limited to giving vague suggestions to short, bearded alcoholics, can control doors? Is the Player Characters some sort of malevolent AI or something like Wheatley and GLaDOS?
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
Re: Why can the PC control doors?
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 04:12:10 pm »

I've always wondered about this. Why is the Player Character, who's ability is usually limited to giving vague suggestions to short, bearded alcoholics, can control doors? Is the Player Characters some sort of malevolent AI or something like Wheatley and GLaDOS?
That would be because WE ARE THE FORTRESS ITSELF.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 04:17:06 pm »

That would be because WE ARE THE FORTRESS ITSELF.
Flame Fortressfire is the god of fortresses, dwarves, and suicide. Flame is commonly depicted as a human.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 04:17:24 pm »

All dwarven outposts are sentient constructs. They start to form the moment seven dwarves gather in one spot, and the moment they dig the first tile, they are already a part of the construct.

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 04:32:21 pm »

When did you stop being a mutant communist sympathizer?

Signed,  Friend Computer

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 04:56:59 pm »

All dwarven outposts are sentient constructs. They start to form the moment seven dwarves gather in one spot, and the moment they dig the first tile, they are already a part of the construct.
Urist McArsonist strikes the Fortress in the door!
It flies away!

Urist McArsonist has broken a hematite door!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 05:03:21 pm »

Great, a legitimate question from a new user and we've got six consecutive joke/troll replies and nothing else. Good job.

To seriously attempt to answer the question: It is a little strange that it doesn't just create a "lock door" job or something similar, I guess, but that might be a little micromanagey. I assume that part is just abstracted out, as the actual decision to lock the door falls within the player's role.

Speaking of which, according to Toady, the role of the player is something like an abstract representation of all the fortress's official decision-making, such that anything the player does should ideally be said to be the choice of some actual official in the fortress itself. In other words, the player can do anything that could be considered an "official action". So you can order the production of goods and say that doors can be locked, but you can't, I don't know, possess dwarves and control them directly, or whatever.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Shogger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 05:06:26 pm »

I think it's because we already have problems with dwarves walling themselves off in construction. Having to deal with which side the dwarves are on when locking a door would be too much hassle.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 05:12:16 pm »

Great, a legitimate question from a new user and we've got six consecutive joke/troll replies and nothing else. Good job.
Huh, sorry, but as for me, I honestly had no idea, though I personally welcome the fact the player can directly control that one little thing. So, I just made a light-hearted joke that didn't insult the OP's intelligence. Sorry about that. :/
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 05:40:45 pm »

Because if you gave creatures the ability to lock doors, kobolds would be sneaking around your fortress locking doors instead of unlocking them. The endless 'cancel order: can't find item' spam would send them into giggle sprees.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 05:42:35 pm »

Because if you gave creatures the ability to lock doors, kobolds would be sneaking around your fortress locking doors instead of unlocking them. The endless 'cancel order: can't find item' spam would send them into giggle sprees.
I love kobolds.  :P

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 05:45:52 pm »

Huh, sorry, but as for me, I honestly had no idea, though I personally welcome the fact the player can directly control that one little thing. So, I just made a light-hearted joke that didn't insult the OP's intelligence. Sorry about that. :/

In an abstract way, I guess your answer was fairly correct anyway. But yeah, I was mostly talking about the other responses. No matter though, I'm not the forum police.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 07:18:55 pm »

It is Dwarfy.

To seriously attempt to answer the question: It is a little strange that it doesn't just create a "lock door" job or something similar, I guess, but that might be a little micromanagey.

Dwarfs are dumb enough to go through the door into the area you want locked away and then lock the door.

Seriously.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 07:22:57 pm »

Speaking of which, according to Toady, the role of the player is something like an abstract representation of all the fortress's official decision-making, such that anything the player does should ideally be said to be the choice of some actual official in the fortress itself. In other words, the player can do anything that could be considered an "official action". So you can order the production of goods and say that doors can be locked, but you can't, I don't know, possess dwarves and control them directly, or whatever.

So essentially... we are the nobles. NOOOOOOOOOOOO!
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531
Pages: [1] 2 3