Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 852 853 [854] 855 856 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1307925 times)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!
« Reply #12795 on: October 30, 2017, 01:04:31 pm »

i dont have the materials to craft zerg potion yet. but i see the increase in spawn from a single trophy. dont want to clog myself up with stuff too fast.

summoned a sandstorm and got a Cookiecutter gun from one of those crimson sandsharks. reforged it to unreal and added the blood corruption glyph to it. it should give crazy lifesteal and regen. it looses the on fire and ichor that the Armor Bane caused but the accesory from Cryogen gives frostburn to everything when i deal damage so it should be a tradeoff. besides, it shoots quite fast. kinda like Minishark lvls of fast.

also got enough forbidden fragments to craft the armor. but i dont have enough Titanium/Adamantite to craft it yet. gotta fish a bit more.

went to fish to the corruption, came back with like 14 units of ebonkoi and several crates, a toxikarp, vitamins, blindfold and enough murky sludge to craft the other biome accesory. along with some cursed flames.

ran out of sonar potions so i crafted 20 units and im waiting for stress to go down before venturing into the jungle to fish lardfish. current contract is to kill a brown recluse. piece a cake. then i think the moth is the next in line to kill. gotta check.

oh, i also got the Waifu in a Bottle. it took several sand elementals to kill but finally got it. first Waifu item i get (i got the wind stone from the Desert Scourge at the start of the run but it doesnt count).
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 01:08:06 pm by xaritscin »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12796 on: October 30, 2017, 03:44:57 pm »

Ehehe. You got the waifu, now you gotta' get the rare one :P

Doing that was the reason I crafted the first zerg potion, I think. 2% drop rate on sand eles is just kinda' mean, doubly so when it's expert mode only. That said, if you got the sludge, you got the biggest piece. Battle potion, a bone serpent drop, and murky sludge are the mats needed. Thing's technically pre-wall, though I'm pretty sure it's functionally useless at that point unless you feel like dying for some reason. You kinda' need hard mode items to survive the potion's effect, 30x spawn rate is no joke, heh. I mean, it's actually kinda' hilarious the way everything jumps at you from everywhere but you need some pretty serious dakka or you gon' die with th'quickness.

So far as frostburn vs. other stuff, I'd definitely recommend doing comparison tests for a bit before swapping. You very badly want a source of ichor somewhere in your arsenal for a lot of the tougher mod critters, particularly as a summoner. Armor pen accessories might work, too (I have no idea if summons benefit from them or not), but ichor's a good bit easier.

Could just keep the armor bane around for a debuff swap weapon to whip out when your target stops being yellow... better stuff out there for that specific purpose, but it'd probably be better than not having it. There's accessories that give certain attacks random debuffs that can manage it, too. Sooner or later you'll run into the ichor portal thing and have a summon damage source for the debuff, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12797 on: October 30, 2017, 04:14:03 pm »

got a stock of almost all the potion fishes. this took a while but the crates that i got in the way were more than enough to craft the forbidden armor. had to do a little bit more to get the material to craft a titanium pickaxe.

but still not tough enough to survive the Twins. i wasnt expecting that invulnerability thing to happen. the butterflies are too slow to latch onto the eyes when i need to move fast. may have to finally start using the beholders for this fight. also, may need to craft that void portal sentry because the queen spider is useless in these cases.

gonna look for the rest of the Ambrosial Ampoule materials (need to farm derplings and moths).

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12798 on: October 30, 2017, 04:18:42 pm »

Waifu in a Bottle
...Do I even want to know?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12799 on: October 30, 2017, 04:38:40 pm »

It's... calamity mod, I think? The play is on the sandstorm in a bottle, since it's a sand elemental in a bottle. It just "happens" that whoever implemented the things made all the accessory minion elementals female. And has the item names/descriptions refer to them as waifu.

That said, it (along with a good four or five other elemental minion granting accessories) is pretty badass for a good chunk of the game/hard mode. Pretty active (if it's not the siren, they tend to hover off the side of my viewscreen when I'm in lower resolution fullscreen), decent damage, likes to hurl around AoE hurt tornadoes, in the case of the sand one. Cloud ele shares largely the same attacks, though with a different color. Kinda' pretty when their two attacks of that sort overlap.

... anyway, they're generally better than a +1 on most other minions, at least for a good long while, so they're pretty good for a summoner until they can stock up on the real good summon accessories. Then, too, once/if you collect all the pieces and get the harem rock heart of the elements. Also looks like their damage jacks up a couple times over the course of the game... triples after moon lord, 2.5x after devourer of the gods. Didn't notice that, good to know.

E: Have the tooltip for the finished product, it also gives 10 def:
   The heart of the world
Increases max life by 50, life regen by 2, and all damage and crit chance by 10%
Increases movement speed by 10% and jump speed by 200%
Increases damage reduction by 5%
Increases max mana by 50 and reduces mana usage by 5%
You grow flowers on the grass beneath you, chance to grow very random dye plants on grassless dirt
Summons all waifus to protect you
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 04:41:36 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12800 on: October 30, 2017, 05:44:42 pm »

yeah the Waifu thing is from Calamity. they made 3 more elementals to follow the trend with the sand elemental and made the item so they are "waifus". at least 2 of those are bosses and like several of the calamity recipes the item requires a lot of materials that are usually dropped by bosses. im sitting with 2 right now.

almost surveyed the whole jungle down to the magma layer, still no fucking moths around. the beholders even killed the Corpse Bloom (so now i have the druid, i thought he was post plantera, anyways, now i can buy my herbs)

the whole survey gave me several stuff, the giant turtle shell, a Needler, a Cross Necklace, a Dual Hook. only the gypsy powder was missing. well, not that i need the ampoule yet but wanted to have everything ready.

gonna go and farm some ebonwood for the sentry then check the twins again.

EDIT:

nevermind, forgot that sentry is post-Mechanical bosses.....goddamn..

« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 05:52:22 pm by xaritscin »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12801 on: October 30, 2017, 06:05:05 pm »

Yeah, corpse bloom is actually pre-wall. It's post skeletron and fairly rare, but that's it.

And yes, as you look for moths, know my pain and feel my suffering. Something like seven minutes straight of 30x spawn rate didn't get one of those bastards to show up. Did somewhat after the zerg pot wore out, but not during. Bloody things are a pain to find. Extra fun is when one shows up on the rare enemy finder, and then despawns before you can actually find it. Ruddy thing needs a direction indicator *grumbles*
Ask not!
Ask!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12802 on: October 30, 2017, 08:03:15 pm »

replaced the cookie cutter with the Armor Bane again. armor pen is better than life regen. you can only hit the bosses so much to actually heal yourself. went on a long trek to the tundra to find Cryonic ore to craft the Daedalus armor. and again, Calamity fucks an overly good set by adding unnecesary effects. the sentry summon above my head i can get it, but gravity reversal is something i dont need in a set. i only use that to pinpoint floating islands. so im using the Forbidden headgear as replacement while doing other stuff.

well it was that set or Feral Fur from Thorium, and for that one i would have to farm werewolves/wolves and worgs which means waiting for nights with blood moons or full moons and yeah, no. besides, the armor gives a bonus that needs you to use melee.

the most ironic thing is that i saw a moth once, didnt kill it because i had to get going. should have killed when i had the opportunity. fuck.

anyways. some farming in the sky during a rainstorm finally got results. 2 cloud elementals, one dropped the sword and the other dropped the summoning accesory. i also completed 2 more contracts because i got lucky and got a brown recluse and wyvern spawns. so now i have to finish a pirate invasion for the next one.

also have to remember to farm Cryogen again for the Frozen Stone or whatever is called. since its another part of the Heart of The Elements.

and well, no mechanical boss spawn as of yet. the Twins are too hard with forbidden armor, mostly because of that invulnerability bullshit so you cant kill just one  then follow with the other. Skeletron Prime is too heavy yet for some reason (i blame calamity).

hopefully the Daedalus armor will be what i need. im also equipping The Ring again just in case for the flat damage increases and other bonuses (and because the Obsidian Shield is useless for this kind of stuff).

EDIT:

farmed Cryogen until it dropped the Frozen Core. an enemy during the blizzard dropped the Ice Fairy Staff. these fairies seem to behave better than the butterflies so they may serve as a proper replacement. kinda act like the hornets from the hornet staff. they fly offscreen and shoot stuff but they have much better speed than the beholders.

i also discovered that i can still get up to 6 minions without using the full armor set. i mean, using 2 pieces of Daedalus with the Forbidden Headgear as extra defense and damage. i dont know if this would give me an edge during boss fights but anyways.

after that i summoned the pirates. and boy was it a carnage. i didnt die. but the Ice Fairies wrecked the whole fleet only waning a bit when the Flying Dutchman finally came. got a lot of drops from the event. 1 cursed medallion which is used for the 3rd artifact tier of the Death Wind. a yoyo called "Pirate's Booty" (and of course, its a hardmode yoyo with the midas effect it seems). a gun called "Captain's Regards" which is like a pirate version of the Vortex Beater (shoots bullets and cannonballs at the same time) and also got the Handcannon which as its name implies, shoots ammo similar to cannon balls, its quite fast and has a lot of damage for the stage its dropped i think (94-95 base ranged damage, no modifiers).

there were also 2 Pirate Loot Crates but i dont want to open them, gonna keep them in the furniture chest.

im gonna check what the pirate has to sell and go prepare more potions. gonna check if tese new equipments finally work against the Twins.

EDIT:

aaaaand nope, my guns do shit against these guys. i dont know what to use anymore. kited them throught space but even then Spazmatism finished me quickly, its so annoying. gonna have to test other weapons but i've already ran out of souls of light.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 09:18:56 pm by xaritscin »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12803 on: October 30, 2017, 10:32:49 pm »

Maybe go a bit lighter on the summons but heavier on defense and/or mobility? Twins fight looked a lot like being a bit jumpier than normal for a twins fight would be pretty helpful, and for what it's worth there is a faintly ridiculous amount of move speed et al bonuses littering this mod trio. Maybe at least pick up a dash from something if you're not already using one. Hard horizontal juke can be helpful-ish and it's real good at helping you reverse your momentum, assuming the kinda' hair trigger dash has sometimes doesn't get you killed. Almost entirely certain there's at least a shield accessory or two you can get at where you're at that has one built in (even discounting the EoC's expert drop), and there's most definitely some later on.*

Heck, might even consider trying to leverage teleportation. There's a means or two available pre-mechanical, iirc. Chaos eles drop the rod and I think there's some throwables you can get some way or another that'll 'port you to wherever they land... probably some other stuff, there's some weird crap in all the new armor sets introduced.

* It's actually kinda' irritating, multiple of the really good defense accessories (among other things) have a built in dash. I've thought more than once of changing the button for the ruddy thing after trying to perform fine-ish movement (e.g. land on a teleport pad, ferex) led to me instead catapulting myself across the screen or into a wall or boss's one-shot inducing head or whatev'.

E: Though all that said, it's probably worth noting the twins are frankly kinda' tame compared to some of the late game bosses these mods introduce (in any of the three, not just calamity or somethin'). If they're causing frustration some of the stuff after it is probably going to be hell, heh.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 10:34:38 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12804 on: October 31, 2017, 01:01:32 am »

im gonna sit for a while and rethink my strat.

in the meantime. wow, those blue moons are amazing. gotta give credit to the devs of Spirit for such a well done event. the thematic, the mobs, the music, the boss, even if most have typical behaviors the whole night got me moving all around the arena.

got enough materials to craft different stuff. the summoner set from this event looks pretty heavy, its like midway between Daedalus and Forbidden in terms of defenses but the damage bonuses to minions is almost the work of a lunatic (pun intended). but still not enough against Spazmatism at least until the end of the fight.

i got to kill the Destroyer tho. that's a slug fest so i could just stand above and evade the head while the butterflies and the bees shredded him. he droped the SHPC which seems fitting as a magic gun for this set. got to reforge it to Superior and thus only eats like 4 mana per hit.

it also dropped some hallowed bars and souls of might, along with some schematics that allowed me to craft a Probe Staff. the probes should be a proper upgrade from the butterflies. they have higher damage than the Ice Fairies and have much more uniform DPS.

i also replaced the Armor Bane with the Pleiadean Flare which is a flamethrower dropped by the Jabberwocky miniboss of the Blue Moon. that chance to not consume gel coupled with the ammo box really saves on material, and the damage is enough to shred the twins.

im gonna farm some of the spirit biome stuff  to improve the healing cape. there's a spirit armor too but it doesnt seem to have good stats compared to Seraph. hopefully this should allow me to kill the Twins at last.

the other option i think is to summon the Ethereal Umbra boss. but it may be heavy. so im gonna test the probes against the twins first.

among other stuff. there was also a meteorite and an astral meteorite. gotta clean one and check the other. allthought evading it is better. with the destroyer down. the Brimstone Elemental is the next in line from Calamity's side. but Spirit requires me to kill the Twins.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 01:03:10 am by xaritscin »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12805 on: October 31, 2017, 07:47:50 am »

Will say, if you haven't already done it before you go after the brimstone ele you probably want to hollow out a nice huge chunk of the calamity,* and maybe sizable portions of the surrounding underworld. WoF stuff might be enough, but you may want more verticality than those normally get built with. Don't think the ele itself is that bad, but what gets triggered in there afterwards is a different sort of story and you're pretty likely going to want quite a lot of maneuvering room. You're going to be dealing with very explicit bullet hell patterns while quite painful things are trying to ram you, heh.

If you're really feeling frisky, having a solid (and giant) line to the nearest underground hallow could eventually net you an otherwise inaccessible item. Apparently the profaned god has a special drop if you finish killing it in that biome.

* I eventually dug out pretty much everything above the bottom part of the center spot, heh. Dealing with the lava's mildly annoying but something around that level of materials offers complete lava immunity in a hat, so yeah. Makes some of the critter farming a bit more troublesome (theres something that starts spawning that's impressively irritating that can largely be neutered if you can shoot it through a wall), but both the space to maneuver and the ability to use skyfall weapons is real nice.
Ask not!
Ask!

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12806 on: October 31, 2017, 10:31:01 am »

For the twins, in a mod free run, i used Palladian armor and an Uzi with cursed bullets till spaz changed, then unleashed a daedulus stormbow with holy arrows on them both. First time I just used the stormbow and they both chamged at once, which might be what you need.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12807 on: October 31, 2017, 01:10:58 pm »

right now im checking all the mod wikis to see what accesories to replace. already replaced the Broom mount with a Wyvern. its fast enough to evade Spazmatism charging attacks. and after all the hassle i finally was able to craft the Spirit Cape but it seems the healing effect doesnt work on bosses. and gimps minion damage by 10% so yeah. pretty useless.

im gonna check the Lunic Eye from Calamity. and also the Spirit Staff sold by the Lone Trapper NPC. the probes are good but they can get stuck and seem to be quite slow. need something that penetrate the enemy further.

im gonna check the Ethereal Umbra boss just in case.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12808 on: October 31, 2017, 06:53:21 pm »

ok the Lunic Eye works. i almost win the fight, then suddenly die because of a fucking possesed armor spawning out of nowhere in the arena. gonna bring a calming potion next time. but it works. Spazmatism was close to dying. gonna try using the beholders with the Lunic Eye as support or something i can just keep kiting with the wyvern.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12809 on: October 31, 2017, 09:56:52 pm »

ok that's it. i cant deal with these guys. ran out of ideas. even with the whole uber equipment its nigh impossible to survive the second round. there must be some boss drop that helps me survive this bullshit.
Pages: 1 ... 852 853 [854] 855 856 ... 887