Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 851 852 [853] 854 855 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1307935 times)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!
« Reply #12780 on: October 28, 2017, 08:32:26 pm »

in the end it was easier to camp the edge of the map with the ballista and wait for the goblins to  come. crafted the summoning item 5 times and fought the Starplate Raider 5 times. but still no artifact material. the summon weapon is cool. but still not enough to kill the slime god. gonna check for info in how to kill it or something.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12781 on: October 28, 2017, 10:00:14 pm »

after several tries i finally killed that asshole. had to get out of the arena during the encounter but once the Crimulian Slime God was down everything went downhill for the boss. the only annoyance is that i had to change my armor. had to jump from Diver to Star Plate armor. good thing that i had these minion accesories to compensate the loss of the minion bonuses. i also used an unreal bow dropped by the other boss and that helped a lot taking own all those slimes.

now i have to prepare for the WoF fight. dis gonna be gud.

EDIT:

heh i forgot about the star scouter. but well no meteorite fell down so yeah. think im gonna skip that one, it doesnt even drop anything for summoner anyways.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 10:08:29 pm by xaritscin »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12782 on: October 28, 2017, 11:50:39 pm »

you gotta be kidding me, "a meteor has landed" right when i was building the underworld platform. anyways at least i can go and fight the star scouter. i dont know how potent the WoF is in Revengeance but with the current equipment it shouldnt take longer than the typical expert mode version. i've already bridged almost 6K from the center. hopefully i wont have to use the lava waders.

the stress bar got practically full while building and digging the platform. and there were these mobs called "forgotten ones" which have like 5 health but just touching them can almost kill you. really annoying fellows. outside of that most of the underworld is manageable. i just hope the summons and the bow will be able to take care of the boss.

in other news the Party Girl finally came to the house. i dont know what does she sell with the mods but it shouldnt be any different i think. with her i think i have all the pre-hardmode NPCs collected. i may have to go and build again to pass the time. not to mention that there's still a lot of NPCs that are lacking housing. now that i have a hellforge, the Blacksmith is the most likely candidate.

im gonna wait until this bar goes down then check the meteorite.

EDIT:

farmed the Starplate Raider a bit more and finally dropped the material that was missing. now i have to reforge the Death Wind again. gonna keep this one for the WoF fight. allthought i prefer to use minions. the Scythes are good because they penetrate enemies but they eat minion slots. its complicated to use honestly.

EDIT2:

man the music for the Siren is really creepy. she spawned while mining the meteorite. a mob from the crash site dropped a summoning staff. its a bit below the Skeletalon staff, but maybe with the correct modifier it could surpass it. crafted the meteor head and the meteorite armor for summoner to add into the collection. and fought the Star Scouter.

turns out it does have a summon weapon but its a sentry. it summons a small ufo minion that deals a continous laser from under it or something. according to the wiki this guy doesnt occupy a slot and can be used with other sentries. much like how the sapling doesnt conflict with other mobile minions. gonna give it the best stat i can and see how much it works. with that. only the WoF is missing.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 12:43:00 am by xaritscin »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12783 on: October 29, 2017, 01:17:44 am »

Re: NPCs, probably the main one I could see missing is the Rogue. Can't remember you mentioning it and quick thread search didn't turn up anything either.

Thing has a piece of a pretty ballin' ranged accessory, but the requirements are something really easy to miss. I didn't figure it out until I actually looked up how to find the piece at some point post plantera, and found out it was in the inventory of a pre-wall NPC, heh. Thing's mostly throwing related, but I think there's one or two generically useful bits, too.

... any case, if you haven't yet, take the time to forge some iron level shuriken and keep at least one in your inventory. Because that is the requirement. Not a throwing weapon, not any particular shuriken, but specifically an iron tier one sitting in your inventory. As far as I'm aware absolutely nothing drops them, so unless you happen to craft that particular sort of one for some reason, it's hella' easy to miss the guy.

E: And ah, re: party girl, far as I'm aware what she has new is a ranged weapon I haven't got around to trying. It lists itself as actually doing pretty hefty base damage for the point you can get it, and iirc it's the material for a hard mode gun or somethin', too. Spirit mod puts it in, checking.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 01:22:07 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12784 on: October 29, 2017, 11:21:01 am »

well there was indeed a rogue NPC missing. i dont get why you have to craft iron shurikens for that instead of carrying the normal ones but anyways. built a big manor for the Blacksmith, Cobbler and Tracker  above the hill. there's still  3 unused spots inside the house and there's still space to make another house on the top of the hill.

the only annoyance is that for some reason modded furniture never counts as valid housing. or i had to got exta and craft chairs for some rooms because aparently bed + dresser only works in vanilla. anyways. the next stop is making a house for the Stylist and the Clothier.

gonna try and make as much houses for the NPCs before hardmode starts.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12785 on: October 29, 2017, 01:41:34 pm »

Later on you'll get a nice lil' thing for housing. Think thorium adds it, something like a one tile wall hanging that qualifies for everything a house needs. And yeah, I have no clue why the rogue needs that specific item instead of just a throwing weapon in general or something.

... any case, ceaseless void was a thing. Down side, took far longer than it should have. Up side, I got to see the DPS meter read 20k+ a few times, for a bit. Ruddy ridiculous fight. Bring AoE. Lots of AoE.

Also, I've kinda' noticed that fancy dyed (or at least purple ooze) lamia wraps apparently give female characters intermittently glowing nipples. Still not sure what to think about this development.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 01:45:18 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12786 on: October 29, 2017, 03:00:41 pm »

https://imgur.com/a/hn1dq

here's an album with the lastest works. the retired heroes manor and the sky lake fishing hut.

currently building the party house (party girl, clothier, stylist). already got a first floor with checkered bricks done in top of the hill, but a blood moon stopped me from going on. 

EDIT:

i really recommend the Spirit mod, not only because of the whole Artifact thing and the extra stuff for certain biomes but mostly because of the soundtracks. the Starplate Raider fight was incredible, not only because of the boss VFX but also because of the battle theme.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 03:02:35 pm by xaritscin »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12787 on: October 29, 2017, 04:52:31 pm »

ok that's the last house i make before hardmode. i was getting bored of building the whole day. so prepared my things and went to the underworld to fight the WoF. it got me on my knees to be honest. but died on first try.

in fact, the thing died right when it had catched me, i had changed the boots for the healing cape to sustain an extra during the fight so i was running without boots and only using wings to keep pace. would've died if not for the minion damage shredding the boss. (i also got save by the Phylactery, but only barely)

as always the hallow appears on the side where i dont need it. just past the corruption. i needed it to spawn right on the other side but oh well. gonna have to hallow the whole town just to survive.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12788 on: October 29, 2017, 08:28:59 pm »

ok. the edge of the deser has been hallowed to evade crimson infection. may have to check again later. now, fished enough material to craft the adamantite forge and the mythril anvil. and farmed enough spider fangs to craft all the equipment.

first hardmode boss to fall was the Borean Strider. the spiders are really nasty taking in account my accesories can let me get up to 10+ of them. but they still werent enough to take down Infernon which is the first hardmode boss from Spirit mod. it seems im gonna have to go with Thorium bosses first, then check again.

im gonna leave Cryogen last because Calamity is mostly hardmode stuff so i think it will be really hard to fight compared to the other 3 bosses.  specially taking in account how fucked the Slime God fight was.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12789 on: October 29, 2017, 10:57:20 pm »

I've been doing a mostly vanilla run, except for magic storage. Those spider summons were the best thing I've found to start hardmode with, as they tear apart almost anything with their constant hits. Need a gun or magic though, as in vanilla you can't melee something being swarmed like that.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12790 on: October 30, 2017, 12:04:20 am »

agreed the spiders are just OP for the time you get them. they almost shredd through everything that isnt airborne.

ok i've fought all the hardmode start bosses but im getting rekt too soon. so i tried to improve my weaponry and stuff.

farmed some souls of light/night and the like to craft a Honey Blade which is a non minion summon weapon that shoots beehives like a projectile sword. the beehive also releases bees on hit but since i am choke full on accesories well cannot use hivepack.

i also crafted the materials for the Butterfly Staff III because no matter how good the spiders are, Butterflies are better at what they do.

a mimic dropped the Phylosopher's Stone -> Warded Charm of Myths for boss fights

bought a gun called Armor Bane from the Weapon Master NPC because the Starcharger was getting behind in terms of damage.

Warded my Summoner Emblen just in case.

added a glyph of blood corruption to my non minion weapons. so i can heal myself a bit during fights. i also spent some glyphs buying an Enchanter Broom mount or something like that. it gives almost infinite flight (albeit its slow compared to wings and the like) and gives a boost to magic and summon damage.

gonna try and fight those underworld bosses then farm for summoning Cryogen.

EDIT:

can confirm that it works heavily. Coznix died so fast i had to summon him 2 times to not waste the buffs. Infernon was still a pain to fight but i survived without the Phylactery. he didnt give the artifact material so gonna have to fight him again until it drops it. 

EDIT2:

dropped it on round 2. tried to stay in the underworld and get a drop from demons/imps that is needed for an accesory that synergizes with the artifact weapon. it gave a bad turn when a hell mimic appeared on radar and the thing shredded me and my 2 plat i have been building there. anyways. i have a lot of platinum to spend right now so added Ruthless to the Beholder Staff. those guys got up to 71 damage but well, they are marksman minions so they are a bit slow shooting. gonna keep them anyways. one may never know.

tomorrow im gonna try and hunt Cloud Elementals along with get the eleum materials i need to fight Cryogen again. the most critical stuff however is to gather enough plants again because i got short on stock with all those last bossfights. havent run out of potions but need to replenish the stock of daybloom and blinkroot, also, have to get ebonkoi and armored cavefish. even the variegated lardfish stock is thinning out.

this is gonna be a long farm.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 12:52:45 am by xaritscin »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12791 on: October 30, 2017, 09:09:57 am »

If you're cloud ele hunting, you might want to bring something that can make it rain. At least feels like it boosts their spawn up a bit. Pretty sure there's something fairly early in hard mode you can craft that lets you toggle rain more or less at will... another one not that much past it that lets you flip the day/night cycle, which is tremendously useful.

Re: Beholder staves and firing rate, they're a bit weird. Sometimes the things will machine gun fire (for shooty minions, anyway), sometimes they pace it out a bit, and a pattern to it I haven't really noticed. Mostly would very much not recommend them for damage, though. They're good-ish for it, but not two minion slots good. You keep one around for the enemy detection until you have other means of that (my current guy mostly just spams clockwork bow around with an accessory that makes projectiles emit light. Reveals pretty much the entire screen I'm on, ehehe), and that's about it.

If you can get to it, I think you could get twisted bark from waking nightmares in the dungeon at this point, though I may be getting confused and that being post mechanical/plantera.* Once you can, definitely do. The critters it summons are pretty mean just by themselves, but they also come with a generic summons buff while they're out. Pretty sexy stuff, heh.

Thaaat said, if you have beholders you can probably survive spelunking in the jungle. Corpse bloom should be loitering around somewhere down there. Kill the thing and a NPC shows up that fixes any concern you'll have for plants for the rest of forever, ehehe.

Also yeah, healing may be more important, but don't forget at the absolute least the unholy glyph's effect is inherited by your summons. It's a pretty nice damage boost if you're looking for one. Can be good to have a mix of enchantments instead of just using one, yeh.

Costs a bit of money, but you're in hard mode on revengence, now. Money isn't going to be an issue for much longer. Current guy's frittering around trying to get up the scratch to stop being one-shot by late game spirit/calamity bosses, and occasionally loses 150-200 plat when something manages to kill 'em, with 300+ in the piggy bank. Cash inflates hard after a certain point, which I guess is good 'cause some of the boss summoning items also sell for upwards 30 plat a pop, and sinking fifty or sixty plat into getting a top grade modifier is pretty normal.

*E: Yeah, double check suggests it's post plantera dungeon. Bit of a ways away, then.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 09:14:06 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12792 on: October 30, 2017, 10:00:50 am »

i have the Torrential Tear which is a drop from the Desert Scourge. the only downside is that it takes a while for the rain to start. (allthought i saw that it activates other climatic conditions at the same time. because the blizzard started first and there was a sandstorm too. not sure honestly)

in terms of spawnrates, i used an item dropped by the WoF called Demon Trophy. it supposedly boosts spawn rates by 1.25

im gonna see if i can get the item i need from the demons meanwhile.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12793 on: October 30, 2017, 11:37:29 am »

farmed some souls and eleum. killed 2 cloud elementals but still no drops. no demon lamp either. however, i got a green jellyfish to drop the last material i needed for a Grand Jelly which was a good replacement for the boots. with the mount havent need to use wings either so im using other accesories instead.

got enough materials to defeat Cryogen and replace the Grand Jelly with the Revengeance drop from him. that should make farming it less painfull. and also i can buy the summoning item now. it dropped like 30 cryo bars but they dont have anything usefull outside of the time changing item.

anyways. according to the 3 wikis, the next boss progression should be The Twins (why it has to be them? i blame Spirit mod for this). but i really got dry on potions so imma have to farm other stuff meanwhile. most logical should be to get Forbidden Armor or Daedalus Armor from Calamity. Forbidden Armor is an upgrade from Spider and has synergy with the mount (i dont use magic weapons tho), the other is more defensive oriented however.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12794 on: October 30, 2017, 12:13:55 pm »

i have the Torrential Tear which is a drop from the Desert Scourge. the only downside is that it takes a while for the rain to start. (allthought i saw that it activates other climatic conditions at the same time. because the blizzard started first and there was a sandstorm too. not sure honestly)

in terms of spawnrates, i used an item dropped by the WoF called Demon Trophy. it supposedly boosts spawn rates by 1.25
If tear's the one I'm thinking of, it's just rain. Which is to say rain outside snow biome (good if fishing, always make rain before casting line), blizzard inside snow biome (which pretty definitely increases spawn rate, if you need surface snow biome stuff), and does nothing to sandstorms (though it does cause it to rain in the desert, which as far as I'm aware does nothing unusual). For sandstorms, there's a consumable that some critters drop and the NPC that'll toggle it for a gold piece. Pretty sure the tear's actually instant, too, it just takes a bit for the graphical effects to kick on. Could probably test it if you have the fishing power trinket...

Demon trophy goes, I'm still not entirely sure if/how it works, heh. Current critter's actually ate four of them at this point, but I don't really notice terribly much of a difference. Might just because my standards have been warped by zerg potions, ehehe.* Speaking of those, though, do make sure you never ever throw away or sell murky sludge. They're a pretty rare drop and the main component for said rush potions that are an absolute godsend for farming.

... though speaking of not working, be careful if/when you get to the storm weaver. Might just be a quirk of my computer, but my critter's fought the thing three times so far: Once I got one-shot by a 770 damage crit, and the other two times the game crashed about as soon as I started hitting the thing. So that may be a bit rough, yeh.

* Neat thing, I went from nymph mission to like the one just before bone lee in the tracker over the course of one rush potion. It's hectic as all hell but it's real good at getting rare mobs to spawn in a short time frame, providing you can survive it. Also if for some reason you want a bajillion birds or somethin'. Enough NPCs will mostly suppress hostiles but that don't stop dozens of rabbits and crap from trying to invade your housing.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 851 852 [853] 854 855 ... 887