Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 843 844 [845] 846 847 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1308072 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!
« Reply #12660 on: October 15, 2017, 08:20:30 pm »

So Bee Armor is still crazy useful against Tier 2 of the Old One's armor. Not *as* useful (maybe if I got a good hardmode summon or two) but having four imps fly around setting everything on fire does a lot to help stem the tide of invaders. I beat Tier 2 once, but failed the second go-round because I forgot to re-summon my Spider Queen sentry, then died and lost my buffs. Gotta take the time to set up a proper arena with regen items and the like.

Can't wait until I have enough medals for a set of Tavernkeeper armor. Having extra sentries can only help.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12661 on: October 15, 2017, 09:17:16 pm »

the Lich was tough but you could dodge his attacks easily, i almost get killed by his expert mode stance but still managed to win. the mistake i made was summoning the pumpkin moon for the rest of the night. almost fucked up the arena becase Mourning Wood can actually set things on fire with the cinder attacks.

i fast forwaded to the next day with the sundial, turns out pirates were coming. almost all the NPCs died and it took me a while to finish the event. i even spent all the potions i had trying to survive the whole  invasion. too much ranged attacks, fiery arrows and cannon balls to dodge.

anyways. it'll take a while to recover from these last. have to replenish the potions. i got a nice weapon to cover the out of mana moments, the Flying Dutchmen dropped 2 ship helms that i can spam. i dont know if they home in on enemies but at least i can throw something while waiting for the mana.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12662 on: October 15, 2017, 09:51:42 pm »

Spent a good chunk of time in the Dungeon, trying to get a Tally Counter. No luck, despite killing around 200 Angry Bones, and around 100 Dark Casters(judging from the banners). Did get a Bone Wand and three Clothier dolls.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #12663 on: October 16, 2017, 12:54:00 am »

Shame that you only get five medals per event. This is going to take over 100 invasions if I want the mid-tier stuff.

The grind is terrible on that event.  I'm actually surprised that it hasn't been nerfed the way so many other things have.

That's why I hacked my copy to drop 3817 medals instead of 5.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 12:58:40 am by 0x517A5D »

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12664 on: October 16, 2017, 01:36:39 am »

Medal drops depend on the tier. Tier 1 drops 5, tier 2 drops 25, and tier 3 drops 100, with extras from the boss in expert mode.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12665 on: October 16, 2017, 08:13:44 am »

Finally got the Tally Counter, and it only took 544 Angry Bones and over 150 Dark Casters to do it. Now I just need the Sextant and Weather Radio from the annoying brat before I can flood his house with lava build the Cell Phone.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12666 on: October 16, 2017, 09:08:36 am »

Medal drops depend on the tier. Tier 1 drops 5, tier 2 drops 25, and tier 3 drops 100, with extras from the boss in expert mode.
Something like that, anyway. That said, so far as the thing goes I distinctly remember having the best odds just spamming the ballista everywhere.

... though by everywhere I mean filling up a row of platforms above the gem. Ten, fifteen blocks up, maybe? Around five to ten each direction from the center of the thing. You can place the turrets on platforms just fine (incidentally, if folks haven't noticed already you get a bit extra coverage with the zappy ones if you do, don't have as much frittering itself into the ground). Never could quite tell if alternating between ground level and the platform helped better than just blanketing the platform (well, save vs. the very last/dragon boss, which is definitely platform). Might warrant some other turret or two directly-ish on top of the gem to deal with those pita flying jackasses that like to dive into the ground under the crystal.

Also all that said, flattening (or whatever lets you maximize the effect of any piercing/AoE weapons you're using) the area between gate and gem helps, as does eventually paving the ground with asphalt. Lets you push one side back and manage to get to other side before you lose the gained breathing room.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 09:10:22 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12667 on: October 16, 2017, 10:41:58 am »

Plantera has been hard to deal with. and from what i calculate Chlorophyte isnt even better than what im wearing. its like a 2 defense difference. a mimic that died while farming souls dropped the philosopher's stone so i crafted a charm of myths ASAP. still, no way to kill that annoying plant. i tried to kite it with a minecart rail that was already in place but the thing despawned. not fair. now i have to grind again for a summoning item or find the bulb.

on the other hand i crafted a chlorophyte staff, its good but it doesnt work for the boss TBH. i need to do constant DPS while evading that thing. maybe i'll have to craft the Crystal Storm or something. also, the entrance to the temple was just a few  blocks above the rail.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12668 on: October 16, 2017, 01:01:50 pm »

got enough gold while farming the materials of the Ankh Shield for reforging the Chlorophyte Staff. i left it at Demonic but that was enough somehow to kill Plantera (with a little help of the Black Hole Cannon).

i got the Seedler, the Pygmy Staff and a red Vuvuzela along with the trophy.

im gonna check if i can further reforge the charm of myths for the golem battle. the only material left for the Ankh Shield is the armor polish. finding armored skeletons is hard but now that the dungeon is improved i can farm it easily. also, i can now craft more mage armor. just need to kill another ice golem. or, i could farm to make Spectre Armor or another Thorium Armor.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12669 on: October 16, 2017, 02:09:08 pm »

well turns out that thorium gives like 3 different armor sets for mage that you can make out of ecotplasm. i spent a good part of mine crafting a spectral blade so im gonna have to grind at least 30 units. not to mention some magic weapons require some kind of concentrated thorium material that is made out of them. this is gonna be a long grind. Diabolists dont make it easier because fire attacks and overhaul.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #12670 on: October 16, 2017, 02:09:33 pm »

I have a question about these mods, Thorium and Overhaul.

Just from reading about them, I can tell that Thorium adds a lot of new items and materials.

I'm wondering about inventory management.  Does it feel like there a lot more pressure for inventory slots?  How about chest storage?

I know that even in vanilla Terraria, I feel constrained by the size of the inventory.  Every new item just makes that worse.

I felt the same in Minecraft, back when I was playing it.  Too many items, not enough slots, and no form of category-combining.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12671 on: October 16, 2017, 02:28:38 pm »

Thorium is like an unofficial DLC pack for the game that adds several items, blocks and assorted improvements to the base game, along with new NPCs (Bosses included). its really good if you want to have a true summoner or thrower gameplay, or if you feel like the vanilla experience is lacking in some stuff, it also adds some meat to certain biomes and 2 new classes that are a bit more focused for PvP but still can work in singleplayer.

Overhaul is a more recent mod that adds some realistic features to the game like flammable properties to certain things, rolling for dodge, semi-realistic mechanics for weapons along with other new functionalities to them. the creator wants to add some other stuff like seasons and water evaporation/regenerations (how liquids work in Starbound i think).

yeah it makes managing storage a nightmare. i dont use any mod for that but i heard there's one called "magic storage" or something like that.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 02:30:11 pm by xaritscin »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12672 on: October 16, 2017, 03:22:15 pm »

I'unno, when I was playing thorium the storage/inventory management didn't really feel much different than vanilla. There's more, so obviously there's going to be more storage, but it's not particularly out of line compared to the base game.

Normal tote around by the end was whatever weapons I felt like using, maybe one swap in armor set (on top of the two you can wear), stack of health pots, stack of buildy stuff, and the miscellany (mirror, maybe fishing, various detection junk, maybe another weapon or two (usually summons), maybe another accessory or two, etc.). Torch somewhere in there. Toolbar was generally full, along with the 2-4 columns on the left of my inventory, leaving a bit over half-ish free to fill with junk. Which is more or less exactly what my vanilla end-game looked like. Thorium introduced maybe a half column or column worth of extra stuff-I-carry-around and it could have totally been significantly fewer if I hadn't been perpetually tooling around with new junk.

Now, junk wise thorium does introduce a buncha' crap one only need one of two sets of, so there's more stuff-you-pick-up-exploring-that-you-trash-or-vendor, and you'll probably have another chest or three for mod stuff, but... I didn't much feel the need to go substantially out of my way to accommodate it. Like said, inventory wise you might have 3-6 ish new stickarounds (and some stuff gets replaced or compacted, so the net increase may be smaller) and storage wise you'll want a few more chests than you otherwise would, but that's about it. 'Bout the same amount of pressure, more or less.

... though yeah, if you felt constrained by vanilla terraria's inventory, thorium certainly isn't going to be better. If trashing stacks of building material or obsolete/unneeded cruft when you're meandering around bothers you you're in for a bad time.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 03:24:06 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #12673 on: October 16, 2017, 04:19:19 pm »

Note that the money trough helps *a lot* in vanilla. Use the safe for money storage, and just use the piggy bank as an inventory extension.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12674 on: October 16, 2017, 07:37:23 pm »

glad to see im not the only one who uses the flying pig for portable stuff. i usually use it to carry the potions and store the money in case of dying. not to mention when you need extra cargo to store some stuff you really dont want to trash.

finally got my Ankh Shield. now just need to get enough money to add Warding to it. i feel sad replacing The Ring because it gives really good stats, but well, there's not enough accesory space to house everything.

maybe there should be a "The Band" that mixed The Ring and the Charm of Myths with other power bands for extra space but oh well. im gonna explore the jungle for a while, havent finished with finding Life Fruit and need like 180 chunks of chlorophyte for the mage armor i want to make.

i also crafted a magic weapon called Legacy, its basically like a bigger, better version of Book of Skulls, i dont think the debuff it puts on enemies work but just the raw damage, infinite ricocheting (they live up to 3 seconds), homing capacity and fast casting is enough. i still carry the Black Hole Cannon because of pseudo Sentry work.

now, i also want to craft that vanilla magic lamp but need to grind those desert spirits and need a sandstorm for the forbidden fragments.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 07:41:18 pm by xaritscin »
Pages: 1 ... 843 844 [845] 846 847 ... 887