Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 817 818 [819] 820 821 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1308468 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!
« Reply #12270 on: July 27, 2015, 11:10:55 am »

I've never have had any success with it digging a hellavator. It won't autoselect the two tiles under you.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12271 on: July 27, 2015, 11:14:48 am »

I've never have had any success with it digging a hellavator. It won't autoselect the two tiles under you.
You mustn't have tried very hard as it works just fine for digging down...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12272 on: July 27, 2015, 11:18:47 am »

Nope. I've tried a lot. It never works for me. It always just selects one tile and that's it. I have to keep switching back to manual mode. It digs tunnels just fine and fills walls but can't go down unless there's some specific location my cursor needs to be.

And I can assure you I tried a lot. I dug a hellavator on a large world with a copper pickaxe. It took so bleeding long I was looking for every single option.

Edit: I just tried it out and it works now. Weird. I could swear it didn't work before as I tried it so much and was wondering why the ctrl key could dig straight tunnels but couldn't manage digging down.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12273 on: July 27, 2015, 11:24:47 am »

I can only assume that something is wrong with your smart cursor thing then because I used it quite a lot on my own world.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #12274 on: July 27, 2015, 11:29:04 am »

Speaking of hellavators, I think few days ago it was the first time I've ever employed explosives to do my job, or rather, any sort of extensive job for me. So I've used all those bombs (turning them into stickbombs) and stacks of bombfish laying around.

I've only now realized what I was missing. Hellavator => pickaxe? Never again.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12275 on: July 27, 2015, 11:30:27 am »

Speaking of hellavators, I think few days ago it was the first time I've ever employed explosives to do my job, or rather, any sort of extensive job for me. So I've used all those bombs (turning them into stickbombs) and stacks of bombfish laying around.

I've only now realized what I was missing. Hellavator => pickaxe? Never again.
I wonder which would be faster. A shroomite digging claw with smart cursor or a bunch of explosives...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12276 on: July 27, 2015, 11:32:53 am »

I think it would depend on how much shit is in the way. If there's a lot of magma and water in the way, it's probably faster to blow everything up.

If it's just regular blocks then it'll be faster to dig through with the endgame stuff. Or maybe if you had complete immunity to lava and could breathe in liquids as well as move at normal speed. Then it'd be faster. The thing about explosives is that there's that delay on the timer and it's a bit funky when you stack explosives on top of each other as they make holes in strange locations that could screw up the hellavator, so you have to delay them as you throw them down.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12277 on: July 27, 2015, 12:10:48 pm »

I just dig straight down and let whatever water I run into get into my hole, so when I reach lava it turns to obsidian and I carefully dig a tunnel thru it manually, then back to automining.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #12278 on: July 27, 2015, 12:22:12 pm »

The thing about explosives is that there's that delay on the timer and it's a bit funky when you stack explosives on top of each other as they make holes in strange locations that could screw up the hellavator, so you have to delay them as you throw them down.
I don't know about that, I'll pay attention to it next time I try anything like that again, but in my case things went without any problems - I just hung myself in the middle of shaft-in-progress and kept tossing bombs right beneath me. Before the new bomb touched the ground the old one already exploded. Dropped whole stacks of stickbombs that way, no probs. Then again, it could be I just wasn't clicking fast enough to screw the timing.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12279 on: July 27, 2015, 01:11:38 pm »

I just dig straight down and let whatever water I run into get into my hole, so when I reach lava it turns to obsidian and I carefully dig a tunnel thru it manually, then back to automining.
I tend to pick up a bit too much water that way, probably because I've always had the dumb luck of building my hellevator over at least two underground lakes.  I always end up digging a shunt to put excess water in, then having to climb back up to reopen it once I inevitably run into lava pools. 

That said, I always dig manually as well, since that makes it a bit easier to contain it as I go through open caverns.  Plus, heavy explosives cost money, and I'm still not really used to how rich Expert mode has left me.  I'm still in a bit of a hoarder mindset. 

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #12280 on: July 27, 2015, 02:09:14 pm »

Nope. I've tried a lot. It never works for me. It always just selects one tile and that's it. I have to keep switching back to manual mode. It digs tunnels just fine and fills walls but can't go down unless there's some specific location my cursor needs to be.

And I can assure you I tried a lot. I dug a hellavator on a large world with a copper pickaxe. It took so bleeding long I was looking for every single option.

Edit: I just tried it out and it works now. Weird. I could swear it didn't work before as I tried it so much and was wondering why the ctrl key could dig straight tunnels but couldn't manage digging down.
I had this same problem of it working intermittently, but figured it was because I needed to hold the mouse further from the character than I was.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #12281 on: July 27, 2015, 03:44:34 pm »

Yeah, for smart cursor to behave correctly, you need to have the cursor off further in the direction you want to dig, not just on the exact tile below you.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12283 on: July 31, 2015, 01:17:13 am »

Moon Lord Flash-step arena completed. This thing is pretty dang hard to do on expert, but you might be able to wither away two of his hands before they start to overwhelm you with TEoCs.

Basically place 4 teleporters with a switch beside each, make a shield to block the explosive eye attacks 7 tiles from your position (the teleporter), connect each teleporter (which should be properly spaced) sequentially, let out a Stardust Dragon, bring it to as many segments as possible, put a campfire and heart lantern somewhere, preferably have a Golem's Shiny Stone in your accessories, then just stand there and let your dragon do the killing while you dodge by triggering each portal manually.

On normal, Moon Lord should die within 1:30 mins or less. On expert, you might die a lot when you kill two of his weak points. Be prepared to escape the arena on Expert with a Cosmic Car Key, and kill Moon Lord mano-a-mano, or put a rail somewhere to continue the fight.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12284 on: July 31, 2015, 01:46:36 am »

I remember reading that the shiny stone works while moving at maximum speed in a mine cart, so long as you do not accelerate.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace
Pages: 1 ... 817 818 [819] 820 821 ... 887