Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 778 779 [780] 781 782 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1308001 times)

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!
« Reply #11685 on: July 05, 2015, 01:45:25 pm »

... that's because the medusas aren't bosses.
They are in the early game. :'(
(:P)
I'll admit, I haven't actually fought them yet with a character that can't just step on them, but do remember that their biggest trick is fairly easy to avoid, if you're paying attention.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And no tiru, still no built in means to avoid the spiders. They've also added scorpions! It would still be possible to mod them away, but that would take a fairly irritating amount of work, from what I understand. Possible, though. And as EP ninja'd, apparently there was already a mod for it, heh.
Well, from the thread, it sounds like the modder just needed to find the right files and create replacement textures. It doesn't actually remove the spiders; it just replaces the textures so they look like blobs. Finding the files was probably a pain, though.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11686 on: July 05, 2015, 02:33:31 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

and after spending all the morning leveling the terrain and draining that aquifer,  this is the result. in fact. there was still plenty of water to move, but i just decided to move it onto a hole and cover it in dirt to get over with it.

works on the hellevator are paused due to lack of rope, need to buy more. started to dig the clay deposits but ran out of dirt actually. have plenty of stone for building too. not enough clay for a brick house though.

as for NPCs, 2 travelling merchants have come, but due to the lack of money i cannot get my hands onto accesories. also not enough metals yet for a tin armor. and the slow pace of growth of vegetation in the sand will obligue me to make an incursion onto the desert for the rest of the cactus equipment.

oh and im almost full with mana. the staff of sparking has proven to be a really good defense against zombies. the only need for the sword has been against demon eyes. since its hard to land projectiles onto them.

as for the corruption, it hasnt advanced from the border, otherwise i have more sunflowers in stock.

EDIT:

i also have a question, i dont know if this works too in terraria, but, if i put a cactus block in the sand, it regrows onto a plant?, i've seen it  happen in Minecraft but i dont know if Terraria handles cacti in the same way......
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 02:37:32 pm by xaritscin »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11687 on: July 05, 2015, 03:13:41 pm »

okay so i cannot do the same with cactus here, went to the desert and fell some large ones so im full cactus armor now. also built the demolitioner's house (nothing new compared to the other two houses). melted some metal bars and made a cooking pot for future well fed buffs.

was thinking on reaching the ocean and build a house for the angler, but with the current equipment it could prove problematic so the only thing right now is to go for more metals in the underground.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11688 on: July 05, 2015, 04:25:13 pm »

EDIT:

i also have a question, i dont know if this works too in terraria, but, if i put a cactus block in the sand, it regrows onto a plant?, i've seen it  happen in Minecraft but i dont know if Terraria handles cacti in the same way......

No need to put a cactus block on the sand. I *think* you only need a lining of sand for cactii to start spawning. I could be remembering it slightly wrong though, just maybe you need to put down enough sand / sandstone for the background to turn into desert for cactii to spawn, but I don't think so.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11689 on: July 05, 2015, 04:26:50 pm »

... welp. Expert mode fishron pushed my shit in :V

Gonna' need better armor for that. Chlorophyte's nice for general spelunking, but it ain't really cuttin' it for this stuff. Maybe more potions, too. Possibly an upgrade over the possessed axe, but I'm least sure about that one... not having to particularly aim is a pretty big deal when your FPS starts tanking, ha.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11690 on: July 05, 2015, 04:31:09 pm »

Bombs > Medusa, I have found. Three or four kill her dead.
Also good god are the various underground biomes' enemies difficult
Really, Redigit? 80 health skellington's with thirty damage ranged weapons? Why do you do this.
Black lives matter.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11691 on: July 05, 2015, 04:45:43 pm »

Only 80 health and thirty damage? Pah. Slimes are a bigger danger than that :V

... in expert, after the scaling kicks in. Been seeing blues with ~150 hp, able to damage me through 60ish defense. 'Course, those skeletons are probably significantly more damaging, too, but still.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11692 on: July 05, 2015, 05:17:32 pm »

The thirty damage was through ten defense, too. I think that's more than lead armor gives you. :P
That's not even counting the 17 damage ice bats, the horror of getting swarmed by said bats (and Granite Golems, and those skellingtons, and a Medusa) in a small space, or the completely ridiculous fall damage from said Medusa's Petrification.
Ten blocks literally oneshot me. With 300+ damage.
Why, Medusa.
Black lives matter.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11693 on: July 05, 2015, 06:51:13 pm »

Because you looked at her.

In all seriousness, when I'm in a marble biome I pretty much stay on the ground and throw grenades helter-skelter. I wish I could find more hoplites though - I'm trying to get every armor in the game and they're being annoying as hell.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11694 on: July 05, 2015, 06:55:31 pm »

"Looked at" being more "accidentally faced her direction while she was 1. beneath me 2. in complete darkness, so I couldn't tell where she was or where she was facing. :P
Black lives matter.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11695 on: July 05, 2015, 06:59:31 pm »

This is where the almighty gamey tactics come in. I make temp bunkers out of dirt with only one tile wide opening near the top and use the yoyo of power to damage them in tiny increments until victory. Little chance of death and its slow, but it makes those tough non noclip attack enemies become cake.

I'm playing Mediumcore on expert mode. I don't have time for losing gear. This world will throw unfair creatures at me and I will respond with unfair tactics. This is survival. This is Terraria.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11696 on: July 05, 2015, 07:09:09 pm »

the skeletons cant really throw you stuff if you hit them. (skeleton mages however, havent reached that far on expert).

outside of medusa or the hoplites the most annoying mobs in expert are those godamned spiked slimes. they can shoot you from afar, and if you get on range they shower you with spikes. you have to have a really long range weapon or take advantage of the terrain because otherwise you're dead.

spiked ice slimes specially, as if they werent annoying before they give them the hability to freeze you.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11697 on: July 05, 2015, 07:12:37 pm »

I'm playing Mediumcore on expert mode.

now talking about difficulty, has someone got on the idea to play hardcore expert mode? or its too much insanity?

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11698 on: July 05, 2015, 07:32:04 pm »

I'm playing Mediumcore on expert mode.

now talking about difficulty, has someone got on the idea to play hardcore expert mode? or its too much insanity?

Create a normal Softcore/Standard map. Mine shit. Forge/forage/collect Hearts, Stars, and Meteorite armor. Grab a Space gun and put all this in a chest. Create new !HARDCORE! character. Visit easymode map. Eat all the hearts and stars and gain its power. Don the Meteorite Armor and Equip space gun. Log out. Create New expert map. Prepare your anus.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Silicoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11699 on: July 05, 2015, 09:10:47 pm »

Started a character from scratch on Expert

A few things I have noticed:

-NPCs are great for the first boss fight as they have weapons now.
-Granite biomes can be artificially created using rough granite stone for farming.  You could assumably create a marble biome the same way... but why would you?  Unless you are into farming death and despair.
-Beat the Eye with cactus armor and superior starfury and 260 max health using npcs and campfire.  I had a second eye in my inventory and summoned the second one and beat it with the same gear.  I also used potions of swiftness and ironskin.
-It seems that banners double defence and attack against the monster that drops it-I can be hit for 40 damage, and with a banner it's reduced to 1.  Banners are something you could try to obtain.
-Medusa's head is great against large amount of enemies, and is great against the initial creeper rush of the Brain.
-Having a slime pet greatly increases your survivability
-Fishing is the best way to obtain pre hardmode equipment.
Pages: 1 ... 778 779 [780] 781 782 ... 887