Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 746 747 [748] 749 750 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1308130 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.2 now out!
« Reply #11205 on: May 10, 2014, 03:25:00 pm »

Server seems to hate buckets for some reason...

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11206 on: May 10, 2014, 04:50:54 pm »

Terraria updated again? Must not start playing again... Already have 399 hours listed for it on Steam...
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #11207 on: May 10, 2014, 05:27:25 pm »

Hey!  What gives?  I thought the 1.2.3 and 1.2.3.1 updates were going to be the ones before the big Lunar thing.
Big lunar thing?

Probably a new invasion type, possibly an entire new tier of hardmode.  Either way, new content.  The devs have been touting it for, oh, half a year or something.

I may not be fully correct here, I haven't been paying that much attention.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11208 on: May 10, 2014, 07:37:05 pm »

At the current style, the lunar update will be another 10 flavors of the same generic invasion they've been using for "new content" since release. Except they'll happen every night and spawn directly inside your settlement. The final one will be nothing but 50 flying skeletron knockoffs that move and fire through walls, destroy walls, and knock you back 20 feet.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11209 on: May 11, 2014, 12:48:42 am »

Why even bother with knockback?  Everyone has some form of cobalt shield-derived-item, so it's not like it even matters.

And yeah, these "updates" with "new content" just seem...  Well, I haven't really heard anything else since the halloween update that actually made me want to pick it up and start playing again.  Everything is just a reskin of something that's already there from before.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11210 on: May 11, 2014, 12:57:50 am »

At this point, I would appreciate them making an in-game map editor and an "adventure" mode, where you're unable to place blocks and instead follow a story, scripted or not.

With hundreds of varieties of the same basic items, making a map editor is a no brainer and it would actually make me want to come back and play this game again. Minecarts and fishing won't cut it for me for now.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11211 on: May 11, 2014, 02:50:14 am »

There are a couple good ones out there, including a pixel-perfect editor with decent tools. Of course I haven't actually played Terraria for months, so I haven't a clue whether any of them are up to date. There's also a fair approximation of 'adventure' mode if you trust people to use new characters and trash their copper picks.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11212 on: May 11, 2014, 06:24:56 am »

There's also a fair approximation of 'adventure' mode if you trust people to use new characters and trash their copper picks.

I'm pretty sure New Guy was wishing for a story, not endless identical mob farming.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11213 on: May 11, 2014, 09:25:44 am »

It's also a "not sure if it's updated", but they had block protection a few versions back. The Dark Souls mod came with a Story of Red Cloud map or somethin' along those lines that prevented digging except in very specific circumstances. It was pretty neat, really.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11214 on: May 11, 2014, 02:41:50 pm »

There's also a fair approximation of 'adventure' mode if you trust people to use new characters and trash their copper picks.

I'm pretty sure New Guy was wishing for a story, not endless identical mob farming.

I thought that it was implied that you would use pre-built maps. For example, I recall that someone uploaded a pretty cool Castlevania map for that sort of adventure. Granted, it's more of a platformer than a hack 'n' slash game given that the only spawns the map-maker can control are statue ones, but that still gives you skeletons, slimes, and mimics to work with, which is enough when combined with all the potential traps. The good map-making programs also let you control the contents of the chests you spawn, so you can sequence loot appropriately. Furthermore, with the teleport pads it's now easy to set up linked sections in different biomes for different sets of random mobs spawning within the premade environments. The point of ditching the pick and coming in with a fresh character is to avoid easy circumvention of obstacles.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11215 on: May 11, 2014, 03:09:43 pm »

You can apparently spawn considerably more than just statue stuff, though. Perhaps not easily, but again, that Red Cloud thing did boss and miniboss summons and whatnot*. Though do guess that had to be somewhat player driven, but... still.

*And no doubt, a switch linked to a platform over some lava holding something like a guide voodoo doll may be workable.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11216 on: May 11, 2014, 05:33:11 pm »

Yes, but not quite. I'm aware there are map editors out there for Terraria, but I think Redigit should try to implement an officially-supported, ingame map-maker with limited scripting as a feature in some upcoming update. Said scripting could include basic forced spawns for certain enemy types, day-shifting, boss spawns, and etc.

We have way too much identical mobs that deal collision damage; identical items that shoot arrows faster, swings brighter and stuff; a bunch of artifacts that enhance jumping to allow Megaman X-esque movement, and yet there's little use for that as you keep going up tiers.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11217 on: May 11, 2014, 05:58:29 pm »

We have way too much identical mobs that deal collision damage; identical items that shoot arrows faster, swings brighter and stuff; a bunch of artifacts that enhance jumping to allow Megaman X-esque movement, and yet there's little use for that as you keep going up tiers.

God, yeah. To me, a lot of the interesting bits of Terraria are when platforming and movement are actually a challenge. Last time I started a new character I found the climbing claws to be really fun because they synergized with platforms and ropes and things without totally invalidating them. Grappling hooks are cool, and it's really great for a while after you get one because the game goes so much faster, but they mark a shift in the game where you never really need to worry about getting around ever again.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11218 on: May 11, 2014, 06:50:06 pm »

Hmm...how much self-sufficiency would you say is possible in this game? I've contemplated making a sort of Skyblock-style survival map: a small chunk of dirt with a single tree, floating in midair with a few scattered islands containing treasures and a small number of special blocks. Problem is that I don't know how many resources a player can produce on his own. The only one that comes to mind is wood. Maybe dirt if a Rod of Dirt can be found or bought. But other than that, selection is somewhat limited.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11219 on: May 11, 2014, 07:47:31 pm »

Hmm...how much self-sufficiency would you say is possible in this game? I've contemplated making a sort of Skyblock-style survival map: a small chunk of dirt with a single tree, floating in midair with a few scattered islands containing treasures and a small number of special blocks. Problem is that I don't know how many resources a player can produce on his own. The only one that comes to mind is wood. Maybe dirt if a Rod of Dirt can be found or bought. But other than that, selection is somewhat limited.

Don't forget about water and lava for obsidian generators.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now
Pages: 1 ... 746 747 [748] 749 750 ... 887