Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 699 700 [701] 702 703 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1308887 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.2 now out!
« Reply #10500 on: October 11, 2013, 07:34:35 am »

Considering you'd be at night, during a blizzard in a hardmode Snow biome to fight an Ice Giant...
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10501 on: October 11, 2013, 08:11:54 am »

Actually they appear all the time, just more common during those time periods. I just fought one in broad daylight, and hardmode snow zone isn't particularly hard. And anyway, snow biome doesn't contain any actual threats aside from the ice giants, and has been mentioned they are kind of huge pushovers.

They did kill me the first time I met them, though - luckily, like I said, hard mode snow biome is pretty easy, so it wasn't much trouble to get back to my equipment.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #10502 on: October 11, 2013, 08:36:47 am »

I somehow don't like how they detailed the female titanium armor...It doesn't fit well >_>
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 11:51:44 am by Tiruin »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10503 on: October 11, 2013, 09:06:51 am »

Wolves can be a bit unfortunate to run into if you've got low-level equipment, since they're "unicorn-lite".  Ice elementals deal more damage than you'd expect them to and can be tricky to hit at times.

Still though, compared to the other biomes?  No sweat at all.

Also, just did some mucking about.  I've been trying out endgame bows to see if they match up to the shooty firearms, and...  Well, the answer is still pretty much just "no", but it's nice to know the details of that.

The best bow in the game at this point is probably the Ice Bow, which can drop from ice mimics.  It's got the highest arrow-launcher base damage in the game, and a not-unreasonable firerate.

As both an upside and a downside, it also converts all ammunition fired into "ice arrows".  These are not the "frostburn arrows" that you can create out of an ice torch, since they don't inflict frostburn unless you're wearing the special Mr. Freeze suit.  This means that while you can just skim by using only cheap wooden arrows, it also means that using any other, more damaging/tactical arrows is completely pointless and counterintuitive.  Also, ice arrows can't be picked up after use, negating the normally 1/6 chance to get an arrow back after you've fired it.

Otherwise, we have the chlorophyte shotbow, which fires (on average) three shots per arrow.  Again, you can't reclaim any of the arrows afterwards.  Someone might think you could use this a bit like a shotgun and do lots of damage by hitting someone with all three shots, even though each individual shot does slightly less damage than one fired by the next tier down, the hallowed repeater.

And you'd be right, it does do a lot of damage...  Provided you're using an arrow type where that actually works.

If you use any kind of piercing (jester, unholy, chlorophyte) or explosive (currently just hellfire, to my knowledge), then only ONE arrow per enemy will register.  All the others will pass straight through (or in the case of the hellfire, they all blow up but only do the damage of one).  Ichor arrows are probably your best bet for dealing mass damage, since they do a fair clip of base damage and also deal the irresistable ichor debuff.  All depending on how the game calculates things, it might even go so far as to factor in the debuff of the first shot to hit before the other two connect, thus resulting in even more damage just in one shot (venom arrows do more base damage, but they have a more expensive component and the venom DoT doesn't really help your primary damage output all that much).

Holy arrows ALMOST become useful with this setup, since you wind up with a massive shower of piercing stars coming down, which means that on average for every one holy arrow you use you're actually generating 9 projectiles at a time (3 arrows, plus 2 stars per each arrow).  Now, all these projectiles do bugger all for damage, but still...   They're crafted in larger stacks than any other arrow except chlorophyte, and what else are you going to use unicorn horns for anyways?   Useful or not, they are certainly very entertaining to use when dealing with a huddled group...  Also, fantastic for exploring caves and such.  Lights up practically the whole screen.

I'd like to try that setup with orichalcum armor, to see if it generates petals for all those projectiles.  THEN we might be looking at some actual damage being dealt, especially to worm types.

Still though, as far as ranged weapons go?  Guns have the real damage endgame.  Sniper rifle is utterly unbeatable s far as damage-per-shot goes, as even someone without decent modifiers can get up to 275 normal damage in shroomite stealth, and a powerhouse critical is rarely far off.  For more general usage the tactical shotgun is amazing, boasting damage, good rate of fire and great knockback (I've launched possessed armors offscreen with a good hit). 

In regards to ammo efficiency however, I personally think that the clockwork rifle has a good shot at competing with the megashark.  The clockwork has 4 less base damage from the launcher, but it is guaranteed to only use one round per three shots it fires (it also doesn't have the same bullet spread as the M*sharks), and then that one round only has an 80% chance of actually being used if you have ammo conservation armor on.  While the rifle itself doesn't have knockback, the rounds it fires still do.  Unfortunately, this DOES mean it can't get the unreal modifier, but it's still perfectly usable well into hardmode in my opinion.  Especially since you can more readily use the higher-tier ammunition for it without having to worry about chewing through it too quickly.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10504 on: October 11, 2013, 09:17:49 am »

You can't, however, ignore the tactical upshot of having both a firearm and a bow for combined status-effect nastiness against larger enemies, without the inventory muckabout that swapping ammunition requires. Crystal bullets for damage dealing, plus ichor arrows for lowering defense, for instance.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10505 on: October 11, 2013, 09:45:31 am »

Yeah... I'm still relatively sure the tac shotgun has the best ammo efficiency of the guns. Clockwork has a guaranteed 1:3 and megashark has that 50%, but a tac shotgun puts out six bullets per trigger pull. That's double the clockwork, and roughly equivalent to, what 600% ammo recoup? Pretty sure I'm failing the math there, but it's early and headcold so yeah. Somewhat harder to land all the shots, but eh.

Still not entirely sure which has the best damage/shot of them. It really is a tossup between the sniper and the t.shotgun, though. Easier to get a high damage crit on the former, but if you get full crit on the latter... not sure about actual raw DPS, though. I'd suspect the megashark to outperform the sniper rifle, but m'not sure on where the t.shotty'd stand. I kinda' suspect it outdoes both, though. From what I remember, when I was doing 500+ damage crits with the sniper, the shotgun was doing 150+ crits per bullet, which would have come up to a solid 900+ potential damage per shot. With shots coming out a lot faster, heh. It really is kinda' insane.

Ignoring the non-bullet/non-arrow ranged weapons, of course. Piranha gun's damage per shot is theoretically infinite, I think (though it's actual DPS is kinda' low, really...), and iirc the star cannon outperformed the megashark at one point (maybe not now with the new ammo types, but yeah.).

Ultimately, though, it's mostly just amusement that would lead someone to number crunch or whatever with these things. Any one of the higher tier weapons can pretty much wreck anything in the game, generally.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10506 on: October 11, 2013, 10:16:13 am »

I somehow don't like how they detailed the female frost armor...It doesn't fit well >_>

It's really tight in the chest. Almost as if it were made for a man.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10507 on: October 11, 2013, 10:24:23 am »

Chlorophyte Bullets home in on enemies.  Tactical Pwngun becomes pretty great when you consider that, I think.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10508 on: October 11, 2013, 10:32:00 am »

Easy trap and home security for blood moons.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You can shoot the ice golem's feet. You can't melee its feet.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10509 on: October 11, 2013, 11:22:18 am »

Diggin' the underwater pirate.

Anyways, I went on to one of my tossaway worlds and started hunting for orichalcum so I could make myself a flower suit.

DAMN do those petals move fast!  Quite entertaining.  However, despite what the wiki may think at the moment, they DO have a cooldown.  You can trigger petals slightly faster than a pygmy throws his spears, but that's still definitely a cooldown.  So, no petalstorm when firing multiple shots or holy arrers.

Speaking of pygmies, however, it DOES trigger on pygmy hits.  I was seeing petals zooming across the screen to attack some unseen foe while my little bodyguard was picking away at it.

I'm gonna make myself a suit of chloro (I mean, we do have almost 200 bars of it just sitting around...) and see how that matches against the shroomite.  I really, really don't do well with trying to keep that stealth buff up.  It's really only particularly useful for the sniper rifle.

Oh, speaking of which, against high-armor targets the sniper rifle would theoretically be better than the tactical shotty.  Reason being that armor is a fixed value calculated per-shot, so even if both the rifle and shotgun have similar raw output, the shotgun's total would be decreased more than the sniper rifle's.  Not generally that big of an issue, since there aren't really that many mobs with really high armor values, but it's worth mentioning.  But yeah, tac-shotty would indeed seem the more economic choice, particularly when talking about chlorophyte rounds where you can still be effective at range.  I hadn't really considered that.  Still though, accuracy isn't exactly its strongpoint...  Which, of course, is where the chloro rounds come in.  ...or crystal, if you want to watch the screen explode.

You can't, however, ignore the tactical upshot of having both a firearm and a bow for combined status-effect nastiness against larger enemies, without the inventory muckabout that swapping ammunition requires. Crystal bullets for damage dealing, plus ichor arrows for lowering defense, for instance.

Or you can just pack a golden shower book for the debuff, since that pierces and wouldn't use any ammunition at all.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10510 on: October 11, 2013, 11:55:50 am »

I somehow don't like how they detailed the female titanium armor...It doesn't fit well >_>

It's really tight in the chest. Almost as if it were made for a man.
I edited that. What you just said here is what makes it correct and not the part following the 'doesn't fit' part.

..Because I'm really fine with armor being along one single design, or will little deviations-compare to silver armor. It looks great for both without the strangeness.

... Or it may just be me <_<

I'm gonna make myself a suit of chloro (I mean, we do have almost 200 bars of it just sitting around...) and see how that matches against the shroomite.  I really, really don't do well with trying to keep that stealth buff up.  It's really only particularly useful for the sniper rifle.
Does chlorophyte ore grow in mud in the stone biome in..any biome? Or just in any regular stone biome? Where it 'grows' is just from hearsay in what I know.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10511 on: October 11, 2013, 12:28:54 pm »

I've seen clusters of 7x7, much like how I see large ore deposits. I'm curious if there are specified layers of the earth where they specifically grow, and whether in a specified biome or in any biome.

Because if so, then we can grow surface chlorophyte in that method. :P

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10512 on: October 11, 2013, 12:34:52 pm »

Chlorophyte doesn't grow on the surface.  There's a specific depth it needs to be at before it starts growing, anything above that and it'll just sit there stupidly.

Luckily, that depth isn't particularly deep.  As mentioned, I still don't have any numbers on that.  But from what I can tell, it grows pretty much anywhere there's mud.  I mean, I put it into a little mushroom biome I found just because the grass gives off natural light, and it's thriving down there.

Projeck37

• Bay Watcher
  • what is love, baby don't hurt me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10513 on: October 11, 2013, 12:51:13 pm »

Argh. Died while fighting Plantera :l
I be the Pillow Pirate of the 12 Bays!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10514 on: October 11, 2013, 01:03:45 pm »

Oh, yeah, and if anyone wants to know...  You can dodge lava.
Pages: 1 ... 699 700 [701] 702 703 ... 887