Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 607 608 [609] 610 611 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1309856 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.1 released!
« Reply #9120 on: April 08, 2013, 09:35:55 am »

Eh, what about those of us that avoid Extra Credits after the "faith in games" debacle?
Wikipedia?

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9121 on: April 08, 2013, 09:55:29 am »

Gods darn it, I went to the western part of the map, not wearing any endgame armor or wielding any endgame weapons. I ended up infecting the hallows with a bit of corruption due to corruptors on my ass. D: My bad.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9122 on: April 08, 2013, 05:14:59 pm »

is there a bay12 terraria server some where? i saw some posting about one a while back.
I'll throw one up if you like.
thank you. but i do not own a copy right now i was just wondering i was one up at one point. maybe later. thanks though.
No worries. I put one up anyway. Its at 68.55.212.49 port 7777 and it has hardmode on already. :)

Any one up for playing say in five hours?

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9124 on: May 22, 2013, 11:05:41 am »

surprised that you didn't already know that, it's been floating around for ages now
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #9125 on: May 22, 2013, 11:07:08 am »

Heh, I noticed. I think I heard that and then forgot.
Is still a nice video though. :P

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9126 on: May 22, 2013, 11:13:07 am »

Why is this video getting me so excited? A few new toys and functionalities won't turn Terraria into a completely new game. Yet, I'm almost as excited about this coming update than I am about the eventual release of Starbound... almost.

But... that rocket launcher! Do want.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9127 on: May 22, 2013, 11:41:40 am »

http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/official-terraria-irc-plugdj-spoilers-thread.96063/

This is a condensed list of what he's teased. In all fairness, and despite my best efforts to remain crabby, it does look like he's updating the game with zeal once again.

I mean, corruption/hallowed/hardmode rework? That alone is worth a lot and could drastically change what the end game is about.

So yeah. I heard the update was going to happen and tuned out so I could be surprised....but the wealth of changes may make this the biggest content patch for the game yet.

That said, what actually gets into the update remains to be seen. This is why I tend to not like stuff teased in IRC chats taken as gospel, and why I don't like it when devs tease stuff in general. I remember a time when Red was doing the same thing and none of those features materialized.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9128 on: May 22, 2013, 01:12:16 pm »

The question is, given that this has been in development for so long, will he make it out before the starbound beta? My money is on probably not.

The older and more ADD I get, the more convinced I am that perpetual small updates are far superior to one-off massive overhauls, from both player and developer perspective.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9129 on: May 22, 2013, 02:08:43 pm »

Given the declared expected release date of the update versus hemmingjay's little birdie's word about the Starbound beta, probably not.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9130 on: May 22, 2013, 02:16:11 pm »

Regardless, Starbound beta > Terraria 1.2.

They're both great, but Starbound is Terraria+1 in almost every aspect. (but they're both different games, and they're great)

Take a shot every time I said "they're" and "both".
Good luck on sobering up.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9131 on: May 22, 2013, 02:34:11 pm »

Actually, that reminds me of something I read several days ago. The TVTropes page for Terraria refers to a supposed comment Redigit made about Terraria "always supposed to have been a prototype" or proof-of-concept, and that he never intended to keep maintaining it or some such. I just played the game and didn't follow it, but I've never heard anything even remotely about that. Was that an internet rumor or did I miss out on something?

Also, semi-tangental observation: I've seen other places (definitely not here) some spreading negative attitude towards Terraria, just because "Starbound is like 1,000 times better you guys!". Well, yeah... that's how progress works. Terraria (/Minecraft/Infiniminer/legos/bricks) had to come first and always has its charm. Something had to come first and set the standard, else later entries would have nothing to build on (*snork snork*, see what I did there? Okay, enough parentheses). It's like saying a Model T Ford has crap performance compared to a Ferrari, or that Doom is lame because it doesn't have Borderlands' gun system. I just don't get it, why the need to hate, internet?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9132 on: May 22, 2013, 02:38:54 pm »

Most important part of the change list for me:

You can walk up 1 block tiles

I might pick it up again for 1.2.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9133 on: May 22, 2013, 02:51:56 pm »

Darkmere, I had issues with (and had stopped playing) Terraria quite a while before I was aware of Starbound. The reasons for them have not changed.  Frankly, the attitude is more or less that Starbound is Terraria done right. Functionally speaking, Terraria is about three hairs away from being an extended Starbound tech demo; your comparisons don't hold up. It's not "Terraria is shit.", it's "This is what Terraria could/should have been, thank goodness somebody else decided to do it, because Red clearly wasn't going to."

As an aside, I'd argue that Doom is a better game than Borderlands. When your similes don't even support the generalization you're making, something might be wrong.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9134 on: May 22, 2013, 03:28:34 pm »

TBH, I've always wanted a better Terraria versus a re-cast sci-fi game. Yes, Starbound is doing its own things, and that's cool. Sci-fi just isn't what does it for me on a daily basis. I prefer fantasy. So in that regard, I'm still way more interested in an improved Terraria than Starbound.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 04:11:14 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 607 608 [609] 610 611 ... 887