Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 606 607 [608] 609 610 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1309855 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.1 released!
« Reply #9105 on: April 07, 2013, 08:10:59 pm »

At the same time though I respect that slow and even boring sections of a game may be important to pace things for effect (after all videogames are an experience)

Sometimes things are just meant to be boring.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9106 on: April 07, 2013, 08:11:59 pm »

They aren't boring to me, I enjoy them. What I enjoy, others may find boring. What I dislike, others might enjoy. This is normal

Mind you, it still doesn't prove your metric. As it implies that all fun time is equal to you.
I never claimed it was a universal metric. In fact I pointed out specifically that for me time played = level of enjoyment.

I've certainly found myself playing or sitting through less or even unenjoyable sections of a game because between those sections are others that I enjoy. The sailing in Zelda: Wind Waker got to be tedious but was worth it for the rest. In both Minecraft and Terraria I found myself getting bored of resource collection but ultimately enjoyed my constructions more for the effort than if I'd just given myself the items. The Mario Galaxy games and their unskippable cutscenes.
It might be more accurate to say that I will continue to play a game through boring parts if the fun outweighs the not-fun, so I am still overall entertained with the product.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9107 on: April 07, 2013, 08:25:42 pm »

The question seems to be what is fun? If you are playing it then logically you are having fun. No game will force you to play it. You don't die in real life if you don't drink in the game. So why are you asking this? I have over 1000 hours on Garry's mod. At no point did the game force me to keep playing even though I was not having fun. All that time was spent enjoying myself (even though ARGH TTT rdm  :P)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9108 on: April 07, 2013, 11:00:24 pm »

The question seems to be what is fun?

Well no, the question is: Does time equate directly to fun as well as if there is a need to clarify?

It just gets muddled a bit in a long conversation. It started when I said to the person who basically said that "Terraria is good because I spent 200 hours on it" (something along that) that they should also add a qualifier as to whether or not those were enjoyable hours as time doesn't necessarily mean fun or very fun.

Which we never really got a consensus for but the conversation is dragging a bit long (then again the Terraria topic is mostly dead until the update comes out)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 11:03:31 pm by Neonivek »

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9109 on: April 07, 2013, 11:09:36 pm »

If you spend 200 hours doing something that is not fun and provides no income or greater good ten I would argue that your degree of mental illness negates any value of your opinion on gaming. Please note I am using the universal "you" and not specifically talking to anyone.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9110 on: April 08, 2013, 12:42:25 am »

This is what Neonivek is talking about:

http://www.cracked.com/article_18461_5-creepy-ways-video-games-are-trying-to-get-you-addicted.html

He's not saying that Terraria is addictive but not fun. He's saying there is such a thing as an unfun, addictive game.

Also, not everyone gets addicted to them, but "X people played X hours" doesn't specify how many people played it just because the above, or because they genuinely found it fun.

Note that being dismissive about this fact doesn't make it not true, or make 99% of the people that play them mentally ill.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9112 on: April 08, 2013, 01:04:55 am »

I like to ask myself "is this game worth as much as the number of cheeseburgers I could buy with the same amount of money?"

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9113 on: April 08, 2013, 01:15:19 am »

I would say I quantify how much time I've spent playing a game as a good judge for how much I payed for it. So $50 should give about 50 hours of play.

Of course I'll make everyone really upset with this and say that the only reason I do this is because I was asked in the first place how I value games. :P
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9114 on: April 08, 2013, 01:17:16 am »

I'm starting to think that this topic has been pretty badly derailed <_<;

Idle speculation time! Will waterfalls only be randomly generated or will it be possible to create our own?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9115 on: April 08, 2013, 02:56:03 am »

waterfalls are created any time a liquid flows over a half-block.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9116 on: April 08, 2013, 06:33:09 am »

Guys can we drop it now please? Im quite sure we could fork this thread into a "what define fun" own topic..... Its terraria topic not who is right on whats fun and not....
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9117 on: April 08, 2013, 09:22:31 am »

is it the house to the left?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9118 on: April 08, 2013, 09:27:42 am »

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9119 on: April 08, 2013, 09:32:51 am »

ok thanks. nice house i add some items in your chests.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 10:36:52 am by choppy »
Pages: 1 ... 606 607 [608] 609 610 ... 887