Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 604 605 [606] 607 608 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1309857 times)

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.1 released!
« Reply #9075 on: April 07, 2013, 09:19:38 am »

is there a bay12 terraria server some where? i saw some posting about one a while back.
I'll throw one up if you like.
thank you. but i do not own a copy right now i was just wondering i was one up at one point. maybe later. thanks though.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9076 on: April 07, 2013, 09:21:58 am »

is there a bay12 terraria server some where? i saw some posting about one a while back.
thank you. but i do not own a copy right now i was just wondering i was one up at one point. maybe later. thanks though.
No worries. I put one up anyway. Its at 68.55.212.49 port 7777 and it has hardmode on already. :)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9077 on: April 07, 2013, 09:26:01 am »

... tempting. Think I'll pop in for a bit, heh. Just as soon as I find that ruddy autoclick script.

E: Played for a bit. Had... three people show up! 'sides me and th'server thingy. Dug a firebreak for the corruption surrounding the spawn on both sides. Don't exactly expect it to last, but... do attempt to, if the server stays up for long. There's exits on both sides. Just leave a five block space between the corrupted/corruptable side and the clean side, and don't leave blocks thorns can grow on on the ground for the corruptable side. Walls/ceiling fine, just not ground.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 12:22:17 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9078 on: April 07, 2013, 12:53:13 pm »

Dug a firebreak for the corruption surrounding the spawn on both sides.

Thank you for the big work.
It is Fun to play hard with starting equipment, - but progress can't be stopped.  8)
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9079 on: April 07, 2013, 01:28:22 pm »

No worries. I put one up anyway. Its at 68.55.212.49 port 7777 and it has hardmode on already. :)

I'm in.

Edit:And trapped under spawn D:
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 01:31:05 pm by werty892 »

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9080 on: April 07, 2013, 02:31:27 pm »

Hmm.. I keep losing my connection in about 5 mins..

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9081 on: April 07, 2013, 04:15:54 pm »

Also, I clocked over 200 hours on Terraria. I think that's value for money

Time doesn't equal worth. In fact it is far from it.

It isn't even a component of worth.

I've clocked hours upon hours on terrible games I should have never bought, but never once did I go "well I played this for 200 hours, this must have been worth every penny".

A better measure is how fulfilling the game was. So next time say instead "I clocked over 200 of very entertaining hours on Terraria" instead of "Ohh... I played Terraria for a long time and thus the game is good"
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 04:17:55 pm by Neonivek »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9082 on: April 07, 2013, 04:20:07 pm »

Also, I clocked over 200 hours on Terraria. I think that's value for money

Time doesn't equal worth. In fact it is far from it.

It isn't even a component of worth.

I've clocked hours upon hours on terrible games I should have never bought, but never once did I go "well I played this for 200 hours, this must have been worth every penny".

A better measure is how fulfilling the game was. So next time say instead "I clocked over 200 of very entertaining hours on Terraria" instead of "Ohh... I played Terraria for a long time and thus the game is good"
Most people wouldn't spend 200 hours doing something they didn't find enjoyable...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9083 on: April 07, 2013, 04:21:10 pm »

Most people wouldn't spend 200 hours doing something they didn't find enjoyable

No it is psychologically proven that you can make people spend MORE time on something boring.

It is the point of addiction based gameplay where you aren't playing because the game is "fun" but because the game is addictive.

It is something gamers have been aware of for quite a while. It is especially why Time to value ratios often actually say negative things about the game then positive.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 04:23:26 pm by Neonivek »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9084 on: April 07, 2013, 04:23:54 pm »

If a game bores me, I don't play it :|

That's why I've never seen the end of a lot of games; I get bored partway through, put it down, and never pick it up again.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9085 on: April 07, 2013, 04:26:47 pm »

If a game bores me, I don't play it :|

That's why I've never seen the end of a lot of games; I get bored partway through, put it down, and never pick it up again.

Not everyone is sensitive to addition based gameplay and some people don't even know it is going on.

I am not saying that Terraria isn't fun, I am just saying that the line "I spent a lot of time on terraria and thus it means it is a good game" (not verbatim) isn't a compliment to the game if you put any thought into it.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9086 on: April 07, 2013, 04:31:13 pm »

It is the point of addiction based gameplay where you aren't playing because the game is "fun" but because the game is addictive.

Out of interest, what's the difference between playing a game because you find it 'fun' and playing a game because 'it is addictive'?  Serious question, because I can't think how to clearly define the difference between the two.
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9087 on: April 07, 2013, 04:35:18 pm »

Out of interest, what's the difference between playing a game because you find it 'fun' and playing a game because 'it is addictive'?  Serious question, because I can't think how to clearly define the difference between the two.

Getting addicted to something because it is very fun is fine for the most part and has nothing to do with addiction based gameplay.

Getting addicted to a game because "it is addictive" however doesn't necessarily mean you are having fun. Specifically it means you "aren't having fun" you are just playing the game for the sake of playing the game. Think of it like a OCD to keep playing the game.

Addition based gameplay is when a game specifically seeks out this result. This occurs because human beings are equipped for ritualistic (repetitive) actions.

Terraria however isn't that, it is very grindy (and hard mode is WAAAY to grindy) but I don't get the impression that it is intentionally trying to addict or induct anyone. Though I have a feeling adding a LOT more grinding in hardmode made a lot of the fanbase have more "fun". So it does support the addiction argument if anyone made it.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 04:58:06 pm by Neonivek »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9088 on: April 07, 2013, 05:17:58 pm »

I got bored with the grindyness at times, but I think I had enough fun other times to make up for it.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9089 on: April 07, 2013, 05:21:53 pm »

The vast majority of my play time comes from making Garden Worlds. In that, Terraria excels, and the rest of the game gives you some context for all that having a point.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 604 605 [606] 607 608 ... 887