Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 558 559 [560] 561 562 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1305355 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.1 released!
« Reply #8385 on: February 21, 2012, 10:45:14 pm »

I don't think Terraria ever had the expansion potential of DF.

It was worth far more than I paid.  I'm quite happy with it.  If the devs learned a lot and apply their experience and expanded resources to future projects that end up being even better, then I'll be even happier.  Starbound looks promising.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8386 on: February 21, 2012, 11:46:19 pm »

Is shadow and demonite stuff worth anything in hardmode, though?
It's like copper equivalent in a new world. It gives some defense, but you definitely want something more than this.
Honestly, Molten is closer to a hardmode copper-equivalent.
Don't completely knock Shadow/Demonite. Those are cash cattle (most profitable as far as I can see, by volume/difficulty:sales ratio) when it comes to netting an income.

Actually, that makes my point even better: not only is it worse than all hardmode armors, but it is also now completely skipped over because it isn't particularly useful.  :P

As for the end: it wasn't that hard to see coming, given that they'd basically written themselves into a corner. Most certainly worth the price, and certainly a good demo for what they can do. It was fun while it lasted, and I still may drop back into it now and then.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8387 on: February 22, 2012, 01:52:38 am »

Honestly, as a developer... Terrarria is not the kind of game I'd want to have to spend the rest of my life working on. I would love to have built it, but like the devs, I think I'd eventually want to move on, take what I learned, and do something new with it.

Or heck, even take a break and work on other projects for a while.

DF... DF is something special, really. It's just... so much BIGGER than Terrarria was - I could see myself sinking the better part of my life into developing a game like dwarf fortress. DF releases practically add entire new games. I can't see that for Terrarria, good as it was, so this doesn't really suprise me at all.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8388 on: February 22, 2012, 01:59:46 am »

As for the end: it wasn't that hard to see coming, given that they'd basically written themselves into a corner. Most certainly worth the price, and certainly a good demo for what they can do. It was fun while it lasted, and I still may drop back into it now and then.
That's what I was thinking too. Sad as it is, it was still a fun game and it still is pretty fun. I can definitely see myself playing again sometime.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8389 on: February 22, 2012, 02:04:28 am »

Futur of terraria, we will add X Y Z. weeks later we are closing door.

WTF?! DIE AND BURN RED!!!!! You cant promise stuff and then vanish like nothing happent, you tell us you want a game, but now your sitting on milion you get the fuck out and leave? good thing there isnt many like this bastard, good for us that 95% of indie devs really put love in their game LOVE not commitment hoping to get milions.....

I bet we will learn about him in a few months that EA wants him.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8390 on: February 22, 2012, 02:12:44 am »

Dude.
Chill.
Srsly.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #8391 on: February 22, 2012, 02:23:37 am »

Instead of crahing and burning it landed safely :D then completely deactivated. :(

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #8392 on: February 22, 2012, 02:26:59 am »

I have to agree with GlyphGryph. Terraria really had no place to go after the big, final updates we got. I'm not sure exactly what the devs promised. I actually stopped playing shortly after beating the Wall of Flesh merely because it was simply more of the same with a few slight differences. Harder, yeah, but it lost its novelty and felt more grindy.

Even though there's not a whole lot we can do in the matter, I'd rather they go out and make another great game with the money they've got. Terraria is fine the way it is. The continual chain of expansion and stagnation is all too common in games that have little depth, but don't know when to stop updating (Such as World of Warcraft). I think there's a lot more that could be done with a completely new game than just trying to add things to Terraria. Some games get to the point where new content doesn't fit in the game at all, or feels like more of the same all over again.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Singularity-SRX

• Bay Watcher
  • *shudders*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8393 on: February 22, 2012, 02:28:18 am »

Am I the only one who after the first playthrough couldn't play it again?
It was just the same game over again, you can't really do much with your house either.
Quote from: Vertigon
slamming his left hand into the baby's face
I came to this forum with no intention of ever uttering that phrase.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #8394 on: February 22, 2012, 02:42:11 am »

I actually got my hands on it just before the last update came around, so it was all one big thing to me.

But yeah, pretty much.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8395 on: February 22, 2012, 02:45:43 am »

Am I the only one who after the first playthrough couldn't play it again?
It was just the same game over again, you can't really do much with your house either.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8396 on: February 22, 2012, 02:47:55 am »

Well, I could and did play it again, but it just wasn't as good as the very first time when I couldn't figure out what was wrong with my ACTUALLY SEPARATE houses instead of just building a hugeass wooden tower with every NPC living in it (they were too small btw) and not being able to kill the Eye of Cthulhu despite having 200 HP and silver armor.

Yup, good times. Too bad that feeling is completely lost forever now. :(
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #8397 on: February 22, 2012, 02:59:24 am »

for me it was money well spent. I played about 10-20 hours. I found the game tedious and lacking depth but dont regret my time spent at all, it was fun.

I am sure their next games will be even better. Making lots of money is the game, dont fool yourselves. Its called capitalism and its the basic dream of any business person out there.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 03:02:46 am by ductape »
I got nothing

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8398 on: February 22, 2012, 03:30:44 am »

I am sure their next games will be even better. Making lots of money is the game, dont fool yourselves. Its called capitalism and its the basic dream of any business person out there.
Please don't say 'any' when you say that :-\ Also, the point for any sane business person isn't to make money, but to have money to do something else with. Usually support themselves, but still...

Anyway, judging by Red's post, it'll be years -- if it happens at all -- before we see another Re-Logic game. Not to mention everyone but Red has apparently ditched, so there's not really a "they" to associated with "their next game."

And yeah, chalk another person up for the disappointment squad. Th'devs promised a lot of things that sounded really interesting. Damn shame none of it'll happen now. Enjoyed Terraria and everything, but I was there (and spent the money) as much for the future plans as present content. Oh well.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 03:32:25 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8399 on: February 22, 2012, 04:16:03 am »

Speak for yourself. Some of us consider the art of pursuing profit a religious practice towards the path of enlightenment.

I'm with the guys who are pretty satisfied with the result, since it was pretty freaking obvious the devs would never be able to expand as much as they wanted. Especially after the first few updates, it was pretty clear all the ones in charge of development had no vision of what they were doing other than tossing in random stuff and collecting them together. Anyone who learns from history knows this is how 99.9999999% of amateur success stories end up, misinterpreting luck for design, so it really should come to no surprise.

I certainly had my share of fun. I played about 150 hours or so out of a $5 purchase and built massive, flaming dicks on all sorts of servers. Well spent in my book. But yeah, none of the updates did anything for me honestly. It was just the initial charm that kept me going for so long.
Pages: 1 ... 558 559 [560] 561 562 ... 887