Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 332 333 [334] 335 336 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1305034 times)

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
Re: Terraria - Updated: You can now dress as a ninja! And more NPCs and enemies
« Reply #4995 on: August 11, 2011, 07:27:12 pm »

I'm pretty sure they said they liked the idea of the water rod turning lava into obsidian, dunno if they forgot or not. At any rate, the increased range is definatly a buff.

The only problem I really have with the new patch is the dungeon keys thing, admittantly I haven't gotten there yet but it basically sounds like grinding for keys, and even if not, then there's not really any difference because you could open all the chests anyway.

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4996 on: August 11, 2011, 08:02:04 pm »

Yeah, but what if the magma guy aimed higher by...accident.
Everybody!

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #4997 on: August 11, 2011, 08:02:48 pm »

I don't like their map format. Whatever it is must be updated all at once, so the crashes that have started randomly occuring to me (either because I started a large world this time, the update, or both) have been really annoying. I wish they used a format instead that would frequently record data to a secondary file,  enough to recreate recent changes, and only periodically convert that to a full-save (which is preceded by a backup). That way, you would never lose more than a few minutes of work...

(That kind of functionality has existed in computers for a long time, sort of, in the form of journaling filesystems, which write all changes to a seperate log before actually changing files, so that if the system halts mid-write, the files aren't corrupted. Combine that with batching the actual write, and it may be a rather decent game save system...)
Eh?
Eh!

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4998 on: August 11, 2011, 08:15:03 pm »

Man, the jungle is VICIOUS now. Went back after gathering more hearts so I had a total of 300 and I kept dying. So what do after EoW and Shadow Armor?
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4999 on: August 11, 2011, 09:47:52 pm »

Keys stack nicely. Had a stack of 4 at one time, so I presume the max is at least 20.
The max on keys is 99.

Not that you'll ever have a need to have or even find that many, but...

Did I mention there's a second type of key, to match a second type of locked chest, that doesn't stack?
Oh, yeah, there's that.
Though it doesn't mysteriously break when you open a lock with it, so there's that too.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5000 on: August 12, 2011, 02:16:31 am »

I re-did meteor mining and dungeon run two times faster than before the crash. Fuck yeah :D

Also had an abundance of dungeon slimes - enough to net me a supply of keys for floating islands. The game is up to something :P I'm also opening a shop!

Soon I will raid all those floating islands and jungle, thus the amount of items will get larger ;D

Also, imho, the places-to-visit list have changed. Now it's: Basics -> Demonite stuff -> Meteor stuff -> Dungeon -> Jungle -> Underworld.

Mainly cuz jungle is wtf hornets with stingers nightmare. And hellstone mining will be a pain.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 05:21:11 am by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #5001 on: August 12, 2011, 02:17:16 am »

This Terrarria, it sounds like a side-scrolling Minecraft.  Is it really worth getting even if you already have Minecraft?
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5002 on: August 12, 2011, 02:20:18 am »

This Terrarria, it sounds like a side-scrolling Minecraft.  Is it really worth getting even if you already have Minecraft?

Terraria has 50 times more stuff than Minecraft.

Also, it's prettier :P And cheapier~
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5003 on: August 12, 2011, 02:40:58 am »

I'd say it's about even with Minecraft. Minecraft is more of a building with a dash of survival/exploration, while Terraria is survival/exploration with a dash of building.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #5004 on: August 12, 2011, 02:41:40 am »

I'd say it's about even with Minecraft. Minecraft is more of a building with a dash of survival/exploration, while Terraria is survival/exploration with a dash of building.

So they're two sides of the same coin?
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5005 on: August 12, 2011, 02:43:51 am »

Something like that,  yeah. It's 1 in the morning here and my tired old brain can't think of any cool metaphors.

HLBeta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5006 on: August 12, 2011, 03:25:22 am »

Something like that,  yeah. It's 1 in the morning here and my tired old brain can't think of any cool metaphors.
Call it Minecraftslevania?
... and then it explodes!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5007 on: August 12, 2011, 09:28:14 am »

I dunno, some of the new minecraft stuff is pretty freaking impressive. You can build turrets, bake cakes, set up computers and elaborate traps and actually build a building that reconfigures itself in response to stimuli.

Terraria has a bit more going with different biomes and some bosses, but it doesn't really add up to the same thing.

Now, Terraria could be said to be better than minecraft at the same point in the development cycle at least. And its obviously got a slightly different focus.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5008 on: August 12, 2011, 02:33:02 pm »

Okay, I finally killed Skeletron and went into the dungeon. I actually kind of like the keys thing, if they weren't so rare. I think the regular skeleton monsters in the dungeon should have a chance to drop keys too.

EDIT: Looks like Cursed Skulls and Dark Casters already do. Anyone know if Angry Bones + variants drop them? Also, I really like the new water bolt noise.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 02:46:50 pm by SirAaronIII »

HLBeta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5009 on: August 12, 2011, 02:48:29 pm »

Okay, I finally killed Skeletron and went into the dungeon. I actually kind of like the keys thing, if they weren't so rare. I think the regular skeleton monsters in the dungeon should have a chance to drop keys too.

EDIT: Looks like Cursed Skulls and Dark Casters already do. Anyone know if Angry Bones + variants drop them? Also, I really like the new water bolt noise.
I know I've gotten a key off of the large variant of Angry Bones but I haven't noticed any dropping from lesser variants.
... and then it explodes!
Pages: 1 ... 332 333 [334] 335 336 ... 887