Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 317 318 [319] 320 321 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1305231 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

PSIV? One of the best RPGs they bothered to make for the system? Gen/megadrive didn't have much going for it in RPG-related games.

Still grindy as all hell, like 99.9 repeating percent of all JRPGs ever made. Dragon Quest I was the grind-tainted touch of death for that genre in general. Was also the first of that genre, more or less. Lot of good things came out of it, and I love me some grind still, but it's pretty easy to realize that grind in general is tapping into some really unhealthy (if incredibly satisfying :P) parts of the human psyche. Addictive != good, unless you're looking at design from a strict monetary-based perspective.

Anyway, Terraria isn't even remotely approaching JRPG-level grind. Th'most I've ground anything in T, period, was cobalt armor, which took maybe three hours or so (though that was before the jungle damage spike). Hooks, vines, etc, etc, just come around eventually from spelunking about. Especially now that much junk drops hooks, ye' gods. It's not the quickest of events, but item acquisition in Terraria, in general, just falls in place if you chill and cave explore, maybe make another couple of (small) worlds on the side to get more cave systems.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 07:21:45 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

PSIV is the best JRPG for the system. The best RPG for the system, hands down, is Shadowrun.

These two games, plus Herzog Zwei, R&R Racing, and a few more titles, are the reasons my first question about a handheld/smartphone is "can it run a Genesis emulator".

And yeah, Terraria doesn't have a lot of grinding. You mostly hunt for materials and treasures rather than dropped items.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile

It's okay, Terraria allows for same sex marriage.
Marry me then :D
Oh baby. ;P

The best RPG for the system, hands down, is Shadowrun.
No doubt there. I'm craving a by-the-book shadowrun mmo. :(

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm.

Problem for me and grinding & Terraria is I can just port over items. I'll grind for them legit when there's something new & exiting to grind for.

(As for PS, PSIII was just right PSI was ok if you knew where to go and had a superbrain for maps but PSII was cruelty and horror. the frogs,
THE FROGS! ... It's not my fault, I didn't grow up with nintendo cruelty. I played them when they were on the PS Collectors
Edition on the GBA)

Wait, as for the idea of possible minibosses or whatnot, I like it. Pers'nally I'd like to see something Harpy-like. 
Everybody!

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile

I think there should be something in Hell, like a stronger demon or something. Also dragons.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

...a boss you reach as a matter of course, without sequence breaking, mops the floor with your party in a couple of rounds, then it's a flaw in the game's design. Forcing the player to muck around just trying to level up, to have enough health to survive the mandatory boss fight, is poor design.

And this has happened in every single Final Fantasy game I've ever played.
And just about every FF game up to at least 7, and possibly all of them, has a low level challenge, in which people beat the game without level grinding at all. It requires thinking, but that's about it.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile

Am I the only one that think's Phantasy Star I was the best of the series? Sure it was rough around the edges, but it was tough and making progress felt genuinely rewarding.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well Myau was adorable, and it probably had the best 'feel'.
I guess so, best part of the main series at least.

Hmm. I feel like fighting a four armed man when I play Terraria., no idea why... Actually, I've jus trealised all the enemies have ither two legs or no legs.
Huh.
Everybody!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Corrupted rabbits.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Touche.

Actually an enemy made out of wood. That'd be fun.
Everybody!

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile

Ooh, that's a good idea with the new statuses. Just load up a few fire arrows and BOOM! Firewood!
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile

...a boss you reach as a matter of course, without sequence breaking, mops the floor with your party in a couple of rounds, then it's a flaw in the game's design. Forcing the player to muck around just trying to level up, to have enough health to survive the mandatory boss fight, is poor design.

And this has happened in every single Final Fantasy game I've ever played.
And just about every FF game up to at least 7, and possibly all of them, has a low level challenge, in which people beat the game without level grinding at all. It requires thinking, but that's about it.

Are you implying something here?

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Perhaps not just wood. Perhaps animated golems made of different materials...
Everybody!

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, it'd be all fun and games until you run into a hellstone golem.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

Does anyone want yet another Terraria server?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 ... 317 318 [319] 320 321 ... 887