Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 857 858 [859] 860 861 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1307919 times)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!
« Reply #12870 on: November 06, 2017, 08:04:24 pm »

hmmm it seems im gonna have to change to the Onyx Chain Blaster. i was so close to killing the Ragnarok then boom, no magic bullets. that was long fight. but in the end, those fucking skulls got me again. i wish i had the items to complete the armor pen accesory but oh well.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12871 on: November 06, 2017, 08:50:09 pm »

... well alright then. Previous magnetic sphere line has been kinda' sketchy. The vanilla is the vanilla and it's alright, its first upgrade is sorta' that but a shotgun and it's passable, but 780k HP mothrons don't need okay and passable they need five digit DPS and screen destroying.

And damn. The voltaic climax is five digit DPS and screen destroying. Emits a circle of eight upgunned (current numbers are 202 magic damage, with mythical and some accessories) magnet spheres wherever you're pointing the cursor. Which is, like. Okay? Except A, the cool down is fairly low, B, the individual attacks do not interfere with each other and anything else you might be doing, and C, the only limit to how many you can have out is how fast you fire.

One shot is pretty kickass, but it's maybe not that impressive. I just checked, and at least with my current stuff, if you can maintain the mana, you can shoot ten times before the first shot starts to fade. Which is to say a potentially sustained eighty upgunned magnetic spheres blowing the hell out of anything they can reach or that runs into them.

This. Is the good shit.

... also it's freakishly good at proccing the ethereal talisman's instakill normal enemy effect. Just lays absolute waste to anything that isn't immune to it. This is nice.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12872 on: November 06, 2017, 09:24:14 pm »

well fuck the Onyx Chain Blaster is good at keeping ammo but it doesnt help against the last part of the ragnarok. im gonna have to up my equipment or something. fuck this guy. i bet the Profaned Guardians are much more feasible to kill with this.

honestly they should tone down the power of the Ragnarok a bit. the Overseer was hard but doable and i didnt even need post moonlord stuff to kill it. but this thing is making me advance further in Calamity stuff just to kill it.

anyways, the Onyx Chain Blaster is more than enough to take care of the Moon Lord with spare ammunition. so im going to tackle the Profaned Guardians. they dont have the same ridiculous amount of health and defense as the Ragnarok final phase so it should be doable.

EDIT:

can confirm the Profaned Guardians were doable, now Providence on the other hand, i made the mistake of fighting it in the same cramped space. gonna have to get into the most open space of the Underworld for this. (i need that shield drop).

EDIT2:

gosh this bitch drops a lot of stuff i dont know where to even take a stop. got her to half health before getting wrecked by shit laying around in the floor. it seems im gonna have to fight her in the hallow or something. im gonna try with Terrarium Armor in this case.

EDIT3:

aaaand nope, it didnt work. at least i know that the SDMG was a proper replacement for this gun. this is getting annoying.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 10:47:50 pm by xaritscin »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12873 on: November 06, 2017, 11:22:39 pm »

Yeeeaaaah rag's a gorram monster. Or three impeccably jerkish ones, anyway. For what it's worth, I'm faaairly sure they weren't balanced with revegence in mind, ha.

Recommendation remains white dwarf, heh. It with a throwing book and decent weapon helps a lot to drop the blighters quicker. Current critter's finally starting to get into the realm of stuff that can keep up with the god mode damage output of rapid fire/multi-proc % max HP damage, but it's taking end game calamity stuff to do it.

... incidentally, did you know the rag fight is on a timer? It's a fairly long one (I think maybe a full day or somethin'), but if you don't have enough dakka to take them fast enough (or don't notice the respawn gimmick with the initial trio), but can survive that long, you still die. It's not as much of a bastard as calamity's final boss (which has scaling damage, and an anti-cheat method of killing you if you happen to get hit 30 times over the course of the fight regardless as to if you otherwise survive it or not, among a couple other things), but it's definitely a pain.
Ask not!
Ask!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12874 on: November 07, 2017, 12:17:05 am »

the lack of good armor doesnt make it easier.

if i dont use Tarragon i get wrecked against the current bosses. The Absorber, Ampoule and Heart of The Elements are practically mandatory. i fear of putting down the Terrarium Defender and loose some edge while the the Asgard's Valor can only be upgraded later on.

i've just recently got the final material required to craft the Deific Amulet. but to use this i have to drop down another accesory. the Seraph Tracers give me inmunity to some nasty stuff so the only thing i think that can be taken down is the Statis Blessing. which means loosing those extra 3 minions and 15% summon damage.

that for getting 25 armor pen (which is better than the other armor pen items i think, until you upgrade this to the Rampart of Deities i think).

now that 25 armor pen could help against the Ragnarok (because 200 defense in the final phase is just bullshit). but im not too sure on Providence. which speaking of, the only way i can see feasible to win that fight is to tank myself with the Drakomire and try to see if i can keep on soaking the damage perfectly still still (because it seems moving around with this boss is just suicidal).

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12875 on: November 07, 2017, 07:02:14 pm »

the Drakomire was a good help and i used Nora's instead of Statis but still cant keep up with Providence. got to kill the ragnarok with the Deific Amulet, it was a long battle because without Statis i can only get 4 summons on field (that limit of 20 buffs makes you limit what you can use in terms of potions so not to loose summons). so most of the DPS was actually the SDMG, almost get out of ammo but it finally died. the Elemental Axes are hard to track so i dont know if they did something but at least i know the sentries were shooting.

Mjollnir seems like a good backup weapon so im going to keep it. now i need to decide what to craft.

as for the ranged weapons. there's a gun with 2 modes that does a bit more base damage than the SDMG but it actually eats more bullets so i would have to use the endless musket pouch instead (instead of the magic bullets of the Lunatic that do like 35 damage each). the bow converts one arrow into a barrage of 4 with 2 piercing ones, but i dont have high lvl arrows outside of Luminite or Electrified so it would probably require endless quiver. which means less damage.

there's also a repeater that does an absurd amount of damage because it converts arrows into wyrm breath which can ricochet of tiles and can pierce enemies multiple times. the problem is, i dont know how fast are those projectiles and if they are limited by gravity. if not i would abuse with the endless quiver because that damage is nasty. (386 non bonused by anything)

there's a rocket launcher but i dont use rockets.

so the only feasible thing in the case the repeater doesnt work would be a bow which is crafted out of the 3 essences dropped by the Ragnarok and some celestial stuff which doesnt consume any Ammo andhas almost 200 base damage outside of inflicting Ichor, exploding projectiles on contact which release homing energy and healing for 10% of the damage done. now imagine this shit with unreal and the blood corruption glyph.

in terms of summons there's only a single summon weapon that needs 2 slots to summon a minion with more damage than the Elemental Axes, according to the wiki the projectiels shot by those things home in on enemies with long range and linger for a while. it sounds good but im not really sure on the effectiveness of those compared to having 4 elemental axes around allthought with all the moving around shit it may be better damage aplication).

« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 07:06:18 pm by xaritscin »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12876 on: November 07, 2017, 08:11:33 pm »

farmed the lunar events with Mjollnir  (okay i had to use the last of the magic bullets because no lifesteal against the moon lord). crafted that Quasar Bow and boy this thing does wonders. the only way i died against Providence was because i forgot about the flaming phase with those -150 holy flames. aint falling for that again, in fact, i bet i can kill this thing without buffs using this bow. its modified for Godly for now, a bit expensive to reforge, but the idea is to get Unreal, its just too good. may fall off later on because Calamity but with all the utility it gives i would keep it for the Devourer of Gods fight.

EDIT:

yup, you can farm this thing with the bow. the only problem is when she enters the cocoon and starts spamming those flames. fuck that thing.

ok 3rd time is the charm. need those wings.

EDIT2:

oh yeah pass me those wings you fucking oversized holy moth or whatever. i also got a throwing weapon but with Mjolnir i dont need that thing. now to check on those Sentinels of The Devourer. i dont think they will give the same bullshit as this one.

however, hard and all, i like that it drops Lihzard bricks. i was needing those for doing the Witch Doctor' house. but yeah, the towns is actually full now. just missing Santa and the Tax Collector.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 08:49:57 pm by xaritscin »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12877 on: November 07, 2017, 10:01:28 pm »

Heh. That dragon breath conversion weapon actually does pretty cruddy (relative to its general area progression wise, anyway) DPS, iirc. Think its projectile is one of those that interferes with other stuff, which kneecaps total output hard. Was something along those lines. Remember toying around with it for a while and then realizing it was more pretty than good... though it is very pretty. Good illumination weapon in base thorium, can't even lick the feet of a clockwork bow (with something to cause the arrows to glow) or burning sky.

So far as ammo goes... even with ludicrous firing rate, you'll eventually get the means to stack up enough conservation chance you can still use non-endless ammo without much concern. Amusingly enough, though, I actually kinda' dislike the quasar, heh. It's a'ight, but it can be out DPS'd by a monsoon (tsunami upgrade, though that does take killing fishron), as well as a number of other ranged weapons (and we'll not talk about throwing, of course, since a white dwarf setup takes a dump on just about everything until you're getting into jungle dragon territory).

I'd definitely recommend checking out a clockwork bow... pretty sure you can build them with just luminite (and gears). Can't recall if it can actually out damage the quasar, but pretty sure it can get close and the illumination aspect is hard to beat (until you get the burning sky and can cover the screen in fire)... plus you basically don't have to aim. Remember it doing particularly solid damage to providence, since it's best vs. large enemies. Just make sure to comparison check (probably via DPS meter, or some sort of enemy benchmark), as the listed damage on a lot of late game weapons range from useless to outright deceptive, heh. Pretty sure providence drops a fairly nice bow, too.

Also yeah, those 2 slot ember staff things are pretty beastly, as mentioned. Definitely try them and compare DPS meter readings or whatev'. You'll eventually get to see a minion summon that takes a full four slots, ehehe (and is actually good enough it might be worth, and definitely is for at least one).

... in any case, today's number is 4. Four minutes of a zerg potion'd blood moon (mind, this was after 1.5 nights of merely candled blood moon failed) being funneled into my inventory to get a shark tooth necklace to drop. And when I say four minutes of a zerg potion'd blood moon, (fair warning, it's fairly large because I'm too tired to fix the sizing)
Spoiler: I mean all of it. (click to show/hide)
Got fed up enough with that 1.5 blood moons of no show I decided I needed a zerg arena. Burrowed through the batch of land somewhat leftwards my main I had been using for some boss farming and to deal with invasions.

That line of eyeball banners in the full one is what happens when you eat an entire bloodmoon with a zerg potion going. Potion lasts a little longer than the moon (like 30-40 seconds remaining), but eh. Faintly disgusting amounts of drops trashed aside, I ended up making around three or four hundred platinum by the end of it. Finally got my sharktooth necklace, with two more dropping by the time the sun came up. Waifus hitting for around 1k a hit, projectile wise, birbdragons doing, uh. More. Four slot or not they're pretty monstrous damage wise.

E: Oh, and definitely check any new throwing weapons vs. the mjollnir, doubly so if you actually rock the book/dwarf combo (pretty sure both at least the providence drop throwing weapon and the shadow dagger can out deeps it with that combo). Oddly enough, sexy as the hammer is its damage is kinda' sketchy relative to some of the other stuff roughly where you're tooling around.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 10:05:54 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12878 on: November 07, 2017, 10:19:43 pm »

the storm weave got me by surprise with that round two 800 damage from head until i figured this guy is liek a crawltipede so just stood still and dished the bow on him until it died. the other 2 sentinels were quite tame compared to that worm.

now im in the dungeon waiting for those phantoms. the Polterghast tome me once because i got stuck with a door during its final moments. aint making that mistake twice.

well if the slag staff is as good as it sounds then i'll craft it. got some interesting stuff from the sentinels but nothing seems to top current equipment. got some bloodstones here and there from some mobs but that 33% chance for a blood moon sounds pretty annoying. so im staying with Tarragon until i get something better.

EDIT:

there should be a way to summon this shitte without having to farm those phantoms. killing it is hard or i forgot that this guy has to be kited like plantera. and it moves harder on blocks. jeez

EDIT2:

aaaand nope. not eve using the accesory that halves contact damage you can kill this thing.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 11:37:12 pm by xaritscin »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12879 on: November 07, 2017, 11:52:55 pm »

Heh. Amusingly enough, there are ways to summon it without farming phantoms.

After you kill it. Since it drops the only source of the material to make its summoning item. Can buy it, too, but I think that needs you to off it first as well.

Anyway, vis a vis that trio you might want to murder signus until the cosmilamp falls out, if you didn't already get it. It's pretty nice... think it's at least comparable to the other stuff you have, and it seems to have an unusually good ability to effectively stunlock stuff. Even if it's not your primary summon it can be helpful to have one or two in the mix.

As for the blood moon thing, it can be annoying if you don't have a means to flip the time. Which you totally have access to, if you feel like building it. Need cyro bars, hellstone, and souls of night and light, but that's it and it just needs a mythril anvil.

... incidentally, the rain stone is a thorium depths chest item that's like the torrential tear, but better. It and the cosmolight and the only thing you won't be able to freely toggle are sandstorms and specialty moons (and they either have summoning items, or particularly in the case of that armor you mention, are trivial to activate by toggling the day/night cycle). Quite useful, heh.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 11:57:55 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12880 on: November 08, 2017, 12:27:52 am »

yeah i forgot about that drop. no i have the time warp for that stuff.

this boss is fucking annoying, im gonna have to demolish a large swath of the dungeon just to get even because of those stupid lasers. not only deals absurd contact damage but i have to dodge projectiles. even Plantera gave some space for maneuvering.

yeah im gonna see if i can farm that lamp. probably has better damage than the Slag Staff but minions seem so useless as of recent. again, bosses making you move around means they dont do much.

EDIT:

had to kill that guy 3 times for him to drop the lamp. also got a Cosmic Kunai, it doesnt seem too usefull for the situation anyways. gonna get that rectangle ready for tomorrow. i hope its more than enough to kite that ghost. if not i'll probably have to shell myself when it gets to low health.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 12:43:13 am by xaritscin »

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #12881 on: November 08, 2017, 01:18:16 am »

After not playing for a while I'm back at it again.

Currently raiding the jungle temple. Pre-hardmode.

It is really easy to make "walk-through walls" by placing three platforms vertically along a wall, then hammering them into stairs, hold down, and walk right through. Works great on the temple door. Also, you can fire projectiles through these walls, so it makes it easy to wall off rooms, then shoot through the walls till contents are dead before advancing.

I'm not sure why I'm bothering, I don't really need the traps, and most of the loot is useless before hardmode... Oh well, it is an interesting change of pace if nothing else.

In other news, the wiki says that "60-80" beenades are enough to kill expert mode WoF, the wiki is wrong (you need almost twice that, with the hive pack). I got the bastard to <500 health twice now, both times running out of beenades (I had 100) and getting killed in short order. The first time I had no potions, but I savescummed after it killed me, and tried again with a few basic potions and more minions. Staying alive is easy until the very end where it runs over me shortly after running out of beenades. If I had ~15-20 more I would be able to kill him easily. (The other weapons I had on hand didn't seem to work quickly enough)
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12882 on: November 08, 2017, 11:25:52 am »

i seem to recall they were nerfed. maybe use the Bee Gun instead.

ok this is just bullshit, tried to use the Abyssal Shell against the Polterghast and got instapopped. i thought the Moon Lord was the only one that bypassed invincibility frames. now i dont know what to use against that thing.

just needed it to drop low enough to bunker myself while it died from the Plague Hive but he didnt even allow me that strat. fuck this guy.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12883 on: November 08, 2017, 12:37:45 pm »

Oh no, I'm pretty sure there's more than the moon lord that does it in calamity. Seems about up its alley for the late game stuff.

... also, should you reach the final boss of that, abyssal might end up hilarious. The last critter instakills you if you take too little damage from an attack (or if you get hit too many times). "Fortunately" its damage also scales with you so defense is functionally worthless unless you got some crazy stuff going on, but still.

Anyway, best I can offer with the polter was that iirc I avoided the most damage flying circles around it with either the UFO or rag chariot mount in a fairly small area (big for the dungeon, but still not much larger than its larger ones), occasionally canceling the ride midair so I could dash to get the hell away from it or grappling a platform/block to make momentum changes it couldn't sustain. Do have to touch down for a sec to get the mount moving right again, but it seems to work out, sorta'.

Want to say it's got cornering issues, basically, so if you can keep it changing directions it has trouble catching you and nomming your tasty tender face off. Using/abusing a dash accessory was pretty close to necessary to sustain doing that, though.
Ask not!
Ask!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12884 on: November 08, 2017, 10:39:44 pm »

had to widen up a big room in the dungeon to fight this thing properly but i finally killed it. got a lot of weapons but only stayed with the summoner one (2 phantom per slot seems like a good deal compared to the lamp).

im now currently trying to figure out how to destroy the Devourer of Gods. like all worm type enemies, it easy to dodge the head but on 3rd phase it becomes a bullet hell. so im trying to find a good equipment to survive all that damage. i wish the shell worked on these situations.

EDIT:

this boss would be more enjoyable if he didnt have those fucking lasers. the 3rd phase is just bullshit with all that damage. at least with Providence you knew you could dodge some of the stuff. but not only you have to keep an eye to the head but also those laser walls. im not an expert using the rod of discord, in fact, i've never used that shit. its so unfair
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 11:43:32 pm by xaritscin »
Pages: 1 ... 857 858 [859] 860 861 ... 887