Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 856 857 [858] 859 860 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1307915 times)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!
« Reply #12855 on: November 04, 2017, 10:27:33 pm »

ok now this is the golem fight was expecting before. that Ravager boss got me by surprise with the whole missile and triple stuff flying around with contact damage but just aiming downwards and keeping him in range of the sentries was enough to kill him. he got me the first time because of not having put the potions at the right time but yeah. another boss that goes down. he doesnt drop anything actually, only materials for now it seems.

now i have to see if i can scrape enough potions to fight Duke Fishron.

EDIT:

well it seems im gonna have to pass up with this boss. i dont get why did they have to make him so hard. he was a PITA in vanilla, he didnt need more buffs. tried dodging, nope, tried fighint underwater with the celestial shell and the ambergris, nope, tried kiting him from left to right using the mount, nope.

i bet that even if i used that Ataxia armor set he would destroy me anyways. its just impossible to kill. im gonna have to go for the Lunatic Cultist instead. even if it means starting the lunar events at least i can get the Ancient Manipulator and start getting fixed in equipment.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 11:16:26 pm by xaritscin »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12856 on: November 05, 2017, 12:35:37 am »

ok this is the plan. im gonna finish harvesting the items i need for the next set of equipment then start the Lunatic Cultist fight. i need that ancient manipulator to craft some stuff and consolidate some of the things i have on storage.

already got the souls required to make a second ankh shield. got the Paladin Shield and fused it with a Star Necklace. got the Frozen Turtle Shell and with that i should be able to craft the Terrarium Defender shield as an extra defense accesory.

a sand elemental finally dropped the Rare Waifu in a Bottle, so im one item out of finishing the Heart of The Elements. also, finally got the mushroom carapace that was missing to craft The Absorbent.

im gonna need 56 Terrarium Cores to craft the armor, the bow and the shield.it means loosing 3 minion slots and the healing bonus but this armor is in general terms, even better than the last pre-moonlord armor from Calamity. so its a must have if im gonna finish this part of the game.

so yeah, im gonna have to keep farming that Plaguebringer Goliath for a while, then start churning out chlorophyte and hallowed bars to complete the material requirements.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12857 on: November 05, 2017, 01:56:49 am »

Yeaah, post moon lord some things open up. Luminite's all you need for the white dwarf set, ferex, and if you care to leverage that (plus the throwing books), you can see a pretty significant spike in damage output. Fair bit of other stuff, too, really...

... also yeah, don't forget the ravager changes later on, once you take down providence. And by changes, I mean each claw gets 400k hp :V

Total HP goes from 129k to 1.99 million. Fortunately, it looks like the only thing you gain from it is the expert item and blood-whatever. Questionable whether the item's better or as good as the flesh totem, which is pre-providence and halves contact damage. Basically saying farm it for the staff, totem, and the other thing (which you probably never want to use unless you're feeling suicidal) before you kill providence, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12858 on: November 05, 2017, 01:50:20 pm »

finally got the Bloom Stone. i had to summon the Plaguebringer Goliath like 20-30 times before it bled the item. turns out Red Riding Hood with The Black Cane and the 2 accesories for the match were more than enough for farming that boss, even without buffs potions.

with that i only need to get the hallowed bars and the chlorophyte. gonna take a time to fish or something. also need to collect more worms for making the summon item.

EDIT:

fucking Earth Elemental almost gives me a heart attack by coming out of the ground. yisuscraist, couldnt he enter from the right or something?anyways the Lee weapons and the sentries dispatched him in a few seconds.

gonna see if i can get the panic necklace from a crimson crate. im close to making some neat stuff with it.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 04:01:59 pm by xaritscin »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12859 on: November 05, 2017, 04:25:48 pm »

That feeling when you gen a world and tunnel your way up and down the entire jungle biome looking for feral claws, and don't find any. Gorram game, fine, I'll fish up your damned jungle crates. Jerk.
Ask not!
Ask!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12860 on: November 05, 2017, 06:00:34 pm »

i think i've discovered a way to apply extra DPS while under the abyssal shell.

from Thorium -> the minions from The Black Cane apply a debuff called Wither that makes enemies loose 10 health per second for the duration of the debuff. taking in account they would be getting focused by the minions, this would be extra 10 damage per second in a fight.

from Calamity -> using the toxic heart (or its upgraded part later) accesory makes the player emit an aura that applies the Plague debuff to enemies around him, Plague deals 20 damage per second and debuffs defense by 8 points. in addition, the Brimstone Flames debuff from the Calamimini supposedly makes enemies loose 40 health per second. on top of this, the Void of Extinction accesory makes brimstone flames to drop from the sky periodically. which could add some extra damage.

also from this mod, one of the Revengeance mode items allows the player to apply Frostburn from all sources of damage (as far as i know).

from Spirit mod -> nothing in terms of accesories from what i've bound, but,the Tesla Tower sentry from the Engineering Rod applies Electrified to enemies hit. supposedly, it deals 4 damage per second to inmobile targets and 16 when moving horizontally. there's also the weapon enchants sold by the enchanter NPC, but some of them require you to actively damage foes so idont know if adding them to minion weapons makes the minions apply the effect. there's at least 2-3 that apply a damaging debuff on enemies but imnot really sure on this.

as for me, already made the fishing run, could do a bit more later to be honest. got the amount of Hallowed bars required by doing the bucket of bolts achievement and fighting the mechanical bosses all at once. got like stack and a bit of the material and have the schematics of the bosses just for collection purposes (i wonder if i can put them in an item rack, whatever its called).

so now i just need to get that chlorophyte going on, it seems its already spreading but it doenst seem like much from the map looks. i planted a huge square of mud with a single ore near the hellevator at cavern lvl and far from the crimson spreading zone (the tundra is a good barrier after all). but it still a snail's pace to see it grow.

EDIT:

hmmm i think im gonna do some runs on the martian madness, just to see if i get the UFO mount/Staff or a gun.

EDIT2:

WAIT, the waifus....they dont count as typical summons, right? so they wouldnt be nerfed by the shell. TIME TO DO SOME SCIENCE!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 06:44:41 pm by xaritscin »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12861 on: November 05, 2017, 09:39:13 pm »

ok here's the experiment. i fought Duke Fishron using Tiki armor, the shell, the toxic hearth and the waifus. 5 minion slots from the armor and the base single, 3 calamimini and 2 pairs of lee weapons.

total time it took to kill the boss: 30 minutes

highest DPS: 10-11

lowest: 1-2

can the waifus deal damage while the shell is active? no really. they seem to count as regular summons so 1 point of damage from each one

do DoT effects work while the shell is active? yeah, Duke Fishron didnt seem to be inmune to Wither, Plague and Brimstone Flames.

do DoT gets gutted in damage while the shell is active? nope, the boss has quite amount of resistance but i was seeing 30s-20s from the sharkrons when they passed throught the shell. so the damage isnt gutted in this case.

conclusion:

if you have summons and items that apply DoTs you can shell up and AFK the fight until the boss kills itself focusing you. however, if you want a fast fight, i'd recommend to just get the equipment to fight it on its own lvl.

so yeah. another boss that goes down. im ready for that Lunatic Cultist fight. however, it would be cool to fight the pig with an actually active strat.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12862 on: November 05, 2017, 10:33:06 pm »

Maybe better wings? If you don't have the first tier tracers or whatever they are yet, anyway. Think they're somewhere around the moon lord phase, and easily one of the best mobility accessories around (they're basically wings + mod upgrade spectre boots), which can help with not getting pigged on.

Taking down the moon lord'll help to no small extent too, most likely... some really nice stuff you can get with just the stellar junk and luminite (and yes, I'm going to mention the white dwarf set again 'cause that shit be broken*), even beyond the normal vanilla junk.

Minor incidental, actually, since you're coming up on it. It can be worth noting there's some odd interaction with the actually throwing dagger shadow weapon and the beacon of the assassin. For whatever reason, the thing causes the dagger to spit out the occasional extra projectile, kinda' like a normal ranged weapon, it's just a single shot of the dagger's alt fire and can stick on things and everything. Lil' neat, heh. Bit of extra damage and I think at least the extra shot still does the beacon's debuff thing, which is a nice bonus.

*Not actually broken, mind (mostly; I'm pretty sure either the books or the white dwarf proc were what was causing crashes with the storm weaver, so if you're using either when you fight it, keep an eye out), and it does take at least one accessory (and preferably a few more; for whatever reason you can stack up at least one extra throwing book if you wear them in the right order, and the effects stack up just fine) and the armor set, but a fast enough/multi-hitting enough throwing weapon plus that set and the throwing book(s) is just disgusting. You'll understand if you try it, methinks :3
Ask not!
Ask!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12863 on: November 05, 2017, 11:13:33 pm »

ok that Lunatic Cultist fight was easy as fuck. buffed myself, summoned them inions added my turrets and launched the barracudas onto him them bamf, dead. now he joined the gang as an NPC that sells. weird stuff i dont think im gonna use ever but still. the Heart of The Moon seems like an interesting accesory but i have so few space to use it.

i used the rest of the buff time to take down the Solar Pillar. then went back home and put that ancient manipulator to use. Heart of the Elements, Ambrosial Ampoule and The Absorber are already crafted. with those and the minions i took down the Vortex and Nebula Pillars.

so im 1 pillar out of finishing the event, but i havent got what i was going to do which was crafting the Terrarium Defender, Armor and the Bow. i need those so im going to go deep into the jungle to get those 366 units of chlorophyte i need to complete the set.

EDIT:

YEAH BOI!, i had to crack open all the crates i've saved fishing to get the required hardmode metals but i got to do a Terrarium Defender, full set of armor and a Terrarium Pulse Rifle. now i can take on the Moon lord (and maybe the Ragnarok, who knows).

EDIT2:

ehhhh, i thought the same strat for the Moon Lord would be enough to fight the Ragnarok but that only worked until it went to the last phase, that Drakomire mount sounded too good with the whole +40 defense while riding. next time im going to fight these guys with the Wyvern or something.

in terms of the moon lord. i got some of the good stuff. SDMG that i can save for later on in Calamity and a lot of luminite. the only downside is that since i died once i had to spend the last bits of stardust fragments into making the sigil. i could use the other fragments to craft more stardust but that would probably gimp my current power. i mean, with Terrarium i can survive right now. just need to get better stuff. even with these weapons the ragnarok fight was hella long, they have too much power i think.

now that i have luminite i may not need a mount anymore, or at least not for bossfights. gonna replace that cryogen accesory since now that i have the Ampoule, i dont need it, so its an space open for puting movement speed item.  then i could use the slot of the Soul of Cryogen for the other shield that has the avoid death or put Nora's there for that extra minion + damage mitigation thing.

the Waifus are really cool but using them gimps my buff space. yeah, i think im going to go like that next time i fight The Ragnarok.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 01:18:44 am by xaritscin »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12864 on: November 06, 2017, 08:59:58 am »

Seraph Tracers crafted at last. really good shoes and they can be upgraded again later on. the Ravager was still hitting hard even with the defense bonuses but got to kill it 2 times for the materials required. now i just need to farm these irradiated slimes until the rain ends so i can fight The Ragnarok again. no waifus this time, just Nora's Mark for the extra summon damage, max minion and 15% damage reduction whe under 50% health. hopefully with the boots i will be able to dodge the bosses.

current plan now is to get that lead core, wait until rain, try to see if i can kill The Ragnarok, then make the materials to fight the Overseer and get that Shadespirit Armor set, allthought the bonuses of the Terrarium armor are so good even without the minions, the post moon lord armor from Spirit gives a lot of defense even for mage/summoner and that +4 minion and projectile deflection on top of the rest of the armor bonuses sound good combat wise. i dunno, gotta check the armor then see what i can do. i have a lot of damage reduction accesories anyways.

EDIT:

ehhhh, this guy has too much defense at the final stage, not even the magi bullets sold by the Lunatic help. also, that stupid skull attack, im not a god of dodging. this is too much. im gonna fight the Overseer instead. the Ragnarok will have to  wait, besides, i need more Lumenite. so gotta have to farm the moon lord again.

EDIT2:

the Overseer fight was a close one, the missile attacks hit like a truck and i had to change to the Heart of The Elements at the last part because i needed the extra bonuses.  the Stardust Cells werent focusing so i had to put my faith in the waifus while i spammed the magic bullets. i was close to dying on that one. i was running out of buffs too. got enough materials to craft the armor and the boss dropped a magic weapon. it doesnt seem to powerfull even with the damage bonuses and the mythical modifier (56% chance of crit tho) the magic weapon sold by the Lunatic has much more damage actually (must be because that one doesnt home in), anyways. the armor has those bonuses so i cant complain.

nwo i just need to farm the Uelibloom ore and get that Profaned material to make the Elderberry consumable. with the current equipment im topping 800 health (no potions), there's still 2 health extending consumables pendant to craft. the closest one needs me also to get more Lumenite.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 10:35:18 am by xaritscin »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12865 on: November 06, 2017, 01:09:37 pm »

The lesser jackass ore* is pretty easy to find both in the jungle, and apparently the spirit ice, if you're hunting it. For reasons I never bothered trying to figure out, apparently bloom slimes (that drop a good dozen or better pieces of ore) like to spawn in the spirit ice. Sees a pretty decent way to build up more than you'll ever need, if for whatever reason you don't feel like digging around the jungle for the stuff.

* Greater jackass ore being perennial. They both take forever to get something able to dig through 'em and particularly with the pink one are bloody everywhere, so for the longest time they're constantly getting in the way if you're digging around. They're jerks.

Perennial's even worse due to the coloration both on the map and on screen, since they're basically identical to certain other ores. Sometimes I dig the damn things out and trash them out of pure spite.
Ask not!
Ask!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12866 on: November 06, 2017, 01:43:06 pm »

perennial is like, was post golem i think. i had to craft a Gallant pickaxe to mine Uelibloom which is used to make the first post moon lord ore armor. currently wearing Tarragon but the Shadespirit is pretty close in stats. the other is just defensive. so it may be good to swap between each other when summoning minions.

already have saved the 20 bars of Ueliace for the Elderberry, im farming those Unholy Essence then i have to fght the moon lord again. so much for extra 50 health but ok.

my only complain with the Spirit mod is that there wasnt a post moon lord summoning staff (ok there's one, but it requires the Lunar Portal and of course, its a Sentry). from Thorium the end game staff requires me to kill the Ragnarok and the Nebula Reflection is well, like the Beholders so 2 minion slots for probably less DPS than the Stardust Cells is a no no.

i also crafted an elemental axe from some stuff i had in storage but i couldnt get ruthless on it (too expensive). still it seems it has plenty of damage actually, not really sure compared to the stardust cells tho. have to test how it pans against the Scorn Eaters. they take a lot of time to kill. maybe if i used Wither based weapons.

there's also an upgrade for the Statis blessing but it needs an item dropped from the Goblin Summoner and i havent got it yet. im currently running out of pillar fragments so it may need to do the Lunar Events again.

an Scorn Eater dropped the Energy Staff so now i have a more powerfull sentry for now. i hope this can take down the Ragnarok.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12867 on: November 06, 2017, 02:56:09 pm »

Ah, re: the rag drop resource minion, iirc it's actually pretty beastly, even taking two slots. Also seem to recall there being some behavior or another that turned me off of it, though. Was in an earlier only-thorium run, too, so can't say how well it functions in the current environment.

Though checking I was thinking about the ember staff, not the nebula reflection, which wouldn't help if you're still trying to kill rag. Never did try that one out, but I'd definitely say check it if you have the resources. Better than stardust would depend on exactly how their projectiles work...

All that said, the energy staff is hella' sexy. Lasts longer than most sentries, too, and has good lock on range and fire rate, even if the shots don't home or pierce walls. Enough to tip the balance with the rag fight, I'unno, but it's definitely good.
Ask not!
Ask!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12868 on: November 06, 2017, 04:32:32 pm »

it is, sadly, i got short on money (those accesories ate a lot of platinum to get ready, i had more than 200 plat then). on the good side i got to farm the lunar events  a second time and farm the Moon Lord without potions. so got to craft the Elderberry to up health to 850 (900 when using the waifus).

im one star close of crafting the mana extension item too. i dont need the nebula fragments anyway. except, maybe, for summoning the Ragnarok or crafting those Galatica Singularities.

i got enough Lumenite to craft the Onyx Chain Blaster too. was wanting to test that one. allthought it has less damage than the Terrarium gun. anyways, now that i have Tarragon, maybe i could go and test The Ragnarok again.  but first i want to make sure i dont need any other fragments.

im going to use the Sonic Amplifier as extra backup during fights too. mostly for the life regen buff. i got a meowmere but i couldnt stand the sound of the cat projectiles :(

also, from the guide it seems there's some really cool weapons crafted out of the Ragnarok's drops. they kinda border the same damage treshold as the last calamity weapons i've got. im going to try and craft the bow if i can. it may be of use later on.

it also seems Spirit adds a "Guide's Final Gift" which is basically the mother almost all vanilla crafting stations. so i could save a lot of space in the basement.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 04:43:13 pm by xaritscin »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12869 on: November 06, 2017, 05:12:29 pm »

Last gift is kinda' helpful. Only thing sketchy about it is that super-forge from calamity seems to do most of the same things.

Vis a vis ranged weapons (and everything else, for that matter), the raw damage is very, very often not terribly telling, doubly so as you get into the later game stuff. Fiddling about with junk I regularly see stuff with sub-100 damage out DPS something with >300, even with similar attack speeds and whatnot. Exactly how the weapon's projectiles (and how many they produce) work can make things work all sorts of weird so far as comparison shopping, so to speak, goes.

Speaking of that, though, it's possibly worth noting the devourer of gods drops a stardust dragon upgrade (mechaworm staff or somethin' like that). The amusing thing is the listed damage is less (pretty substantially; mythical upgrade is 47 with my current kit, stardust 70 something), but the damage per second is both massively higher and doesn't screw over stuff like the solar eruption. Reason being it stacks with pretty much whatever, seemingly including its own segments, so when it curls up in something or another it hurts. Actually one of the higher damage summons I've seen so far, despite the sub fifty number on the face of it, even compared to stuff with a listed damage in the 300s and up.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 856 857 [858] 859 860 ... 887