Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 855 856 [857] 858 859 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1307901 times)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!
« Reply #12840 on: November 03, 2017, 07:43:03 pm »

made a total of 1 and a half stack of spooky wood, enough to make the armor and leave some spare for building/decoration.

i also crafted The Impaler out of the stake launcher but it seems low a filler weapon. i think.

i was expecting more from the Astrum Deus fight to be honest. taking in account its supposed to be after the Leviathan and before the Golem. well i had Spooky Armor to boost the damage of the Calamimini and i used crystal bullets but even with the whole filling thes creen with exploding stuff the worms went down rather quickly.

anyways. now i can mine that ore and check what i can do with it.

EDIT:

well it seems its not muche usefull actually. but i can use the material to craft bars that can be used to make another life extension consumable and a mana extension one too. so i made 29 bars to keep just in case. the mana extension was easy to craft because i have a lot of meteorite and stars. however for the life extension im gonna have to farm plantera a bit more because i need 30 living shards (not to mention that i need to get 10 life fruit, so it will be a lot of time in the jungle)

« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 08:11:24 pm by xaritscin »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12841 on: November 03, 2017, 09:53:48 pm »

thanks to spelunker potions i was able to scrape the required amount of life fruit and also got to kill plantera 3 more times with a single potion run. i got to increase health another 50 points and spent the rest of the potion stock farming the waifu materials that were missing. Brimstone Elemental dropped it on the first fight so i spent the rest of the buffs farming Calamitas, it took 2 battles for her to drop the Chaos Stone.

with that, the only missing materials for the Heart of The Elements are the Rare waifu in a bottle and the Bloom Stone.

im gonna see if i can use the last charge of potions to farm the Frost Moon. allthought i dont think there's stuff for summoner there. it should be a good challenge anyways. maybe there's something to get from it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12842 on: November 03, 2017, 09:56:13 pm »

Though 'gain, you should be able to convert life shards into fruit pretty easily. Can save some time if you can kill plantera faster than you can scrounge through the jungle for fruit. Ninja'd, but eh.

In any case, spoilered for size, but.
... for reference, that boss fight is normally a trio at most, discounting some orbiter things one phase has, and while the supporting pair is up the main one is pretty close to invincible. Unfortunately for it, not close enough :V also the white square crap and whatnot is terraria's shaders getting pissy with vista. Annoying, but usually mostly harmless

Also, just FYI, but I may hate you right now. I've killed calamitas about twenty, twenty five times now. Maybe thirty plus, I'unno. Been a lot. No chaos stone. The chaos stone is the last piece I'm missing for the harem rock.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12843 on: November 03, 2017, 10:06:10 pm »

i seem to recall the fight became harder post-moon lord. well, the wiki says that its after Providence. not sure if you have reached that part.

anyways, yeah RNG can be quite the bitch. it took me to go past them and after Plantera for those bitches to drop the stones. even the Leviathan dropped the Siren's stone right on first defeat, but i lost like 1 or 2 stocks of potions to calamitas and the brimstone elemental without any waifu reward.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12844 on: November 03, 2017, 10:48:02 pm »

Downright evil, really. I've been killing calamitas in batches of ten, in between that last post and this one I finished what I'm pretty sure is either the fifth or sixth cycle (i.e. 50th or 60th kill. I have a full 999 stack of those blood stone things, and I've started trashing new ones :V). 10% chance to drop my ass.

Rest of 'em were pretty nice, though. Levi's double nice since you can guarantee it (it's one of the IOU recipes, iirc), but the rest have been sub ten fights or whatev' for the actual bosses. More for the sand/rare sand (the latter took part of a zerg potion, heh), but the cloud was early and easy and none of the rest have been trouble... sometimes even first drop, kindly enough.

But not the chaos stone. Not that freaking upgunned eyeball and friends.

Bright side, I guess. Hypothetical bright side that doesn't actually exist because the recipient is pixels and code and doesn't have a discrete monetary wealth anyway.  Wizard NPC is making hella' bank selling me more of the trio's summoning items. Why, the guy might actually be over .01% of the amount of gold guzzled down by the goblin, which puts 'im massively ahead of every other NPC I have :P
Ask not!
Ask!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12845 on: November 03, 2017, 11:40:59 pm »

sucks when RNG is like that. i traveled several times to the underworld for a 1.25% chance material for the 3rd tier of artifact and i got everything out of those demons save for that. same for the Shark Tooth Necklace which hasnt appeared int at least 2-3 blood moons. meanwhile a single solar eclipse netted like 2-3 moon stones and 3-4 neptune shells (dafuq)

anyways, i survived the Frost Moon. a single drink of potions was enough to last the whole event and got up to wave 18. wave 19 was stopped because morning. i dont know if i would have survived that one tho, taking in account that i was loosing the effects. but the mobs in this event are muche easier to deal with than with the Pumpkin Moon, mostly because you dont get 4 ice queens out of nowhere that pass trought blocks or a floor full with everscream. i could take each boss one at a time with a bit of difficulty times from the San-tank1.

i got a lot of stuff, dont know which mods adds it but i got an elfcopter mount (it looks funny riding it), chain gun and snowman cannon have material tags so im going to check what you can do with them. i also got a Godly Frozen Staff. so i added it to the collection.

with this a ran out of potions si im gonna have to go and fish again. unless i check the fish stock to see if i can scrap 4-5 potions for the golem fight.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12846 on: November 04, 2017, 11:36:54 am »

spent all the power batteries i had farming the golem (he dropped the picksaw on first kill). no sun stone, got a lot of junk drops that i dont need save for the eye and the heat ray. there was also another Blue Moon. got the sentry drop this time.

i replaced the Void Lance with the Moongazer staff (shoots lazors, a bit of better damage, and i love the Blue Moon drops), with the Heat Ray and the Sahdowflame Hex Doll i was able to craft a summon weapon called Dark Sun Zenith, it gets like 102 damage with ruthless (120 with spooky) it summons a dark sun above the player and shoots lasers that can hit the same enemy multiple times, however, it occupies 1 minion slot and it seems they dont last long actually. gotta test it.

now im gonna see if i can craft more power cells then see if this guy drops the sun stone. i  still have one last drink of potions before having to fish again.

EDIT:

nvm, the witch doctor is the real MVP here selling those batteries.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 11:39:25 am by xaritscin »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12847 on: November 04, 2017, 12:33:12 pm »

Yeah, neither the zenith nor its upgrade lasts very long at all. Even though they take a summon slot, it's probably better to consider them as more normal magic weapons. Didn't like 'em, m'self. Want full use out of them you either have to swap back regularly or just use them as your main non-minion weapon.

Also yeah, most of the boss summoning items for vanilla and at least calamity can be bought. They're spread between the witch doctor, dryad, steampunker (iirc, it might be the mechanic), wizard, and confused zombie. Can call in martian attacks once you survive the first one and get the alien NPC moved in (critter also sells some pretty alright ammo, by the by).

At least until some of the later bosses, it's usually a lot less trouble to just buy any extra after the first kill (i think it's first kill, anyway, might be just need to summon for the first time). Some of the later ones it gets kinda' sketchy, as they start costing like 30 plat a pop. Still pretty sustainable (even with indulging a fair bit, I've still ended up breaking 1k plat earlier today), but actually able to put some pressure on your resources.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 12:34:57 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12848 on: November 04, 2017, 02:37:17 pm »

i had to make another magazine of ichor bullets because that automaton didnt drop the stone like after 20-30 kills. its always the golem the one that has the weirdest rng in term of important stuff. when i made the mage run i had to kill him several times for the picksaw and even then he didnt dropped,got the sun stone and took it like an op success.

now this time got the picksaw first then the stone last. anways, its funny how i could farm him with my 4 sentries and the minions without using any kind of buff outside of some moon jelly. its too easy to dodge his attacks. the only thing is that he gets a lot of defense but the ichor bullets shot from the megalodon were the only thing i needed to kill him.

i had to fish again to get the full stock of potions for the next 4-5 fights. on one of those travels i got attacked by a Plaguebringer wasp. trully nasty creatures, but i survived somehow. it dropped 11 plague canisters so now im trying to decide if i should craft the plague inmunity item (allthought its probable that the Plaguebringer Goliath on itself will probably deal the debuff even when inmune). the other 2 bosses outside of that toxic bug are Duke Fishron, Abyssion and Atlas. i also havent started the Martian Madness event. so the Martian Saucer is also on the missing list of stuff to kill.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12849 on: November 04, 2017, 03:03:40 pm »

The plague thing is pretty darn nice, imo. Among other stuff it does like 20-60 damage a tick to everything within a few character's heights worth of space.

... that said, damage wise, if you're up to taking fishron do note that the tsunami (and the monsoon/their final upgrade) is faintly ridiculous, if somewhat inconsistent. They have a % chance to convert a shot into something that causes a water spout where it hits, and those spouts are both pretty sizable and able to stack themselves up. Want to say it's how I killed the profaned god in a reasonable time frame, the first time. Real good stuff, at least until post moon lord and the white dwarf armor set being accessible. Once that happens anything except throwing is mostly a novelty for a good long while, heh.

Fishy's also got a rare drop that's a sword that generates those spouts on hit, too, with similar-ish effectiveness. Still less because with, say, the monsoon, you can occasionally get a five 'nado trigger volley of arrows, but better than a lot of stuff and pretty impressive visually.

E: Oh yeah... if you haven't already noticed you can craft truffle worms. 15 glowing mushrooms and a normal worm, iirc. Once you've offed fishron, the worms start being sold (by the dryad, I think), heh.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 03:05:23 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12850 on: November 04, 2017, 03:49:06 pm »

yeah i noticed that. had to make a mushroom biome because it needs the Autohammer as crafting station.

since its full moon, im gonna wait to farm werewolves until they drop the moon charm. its the only thing missing to make the Celestial Shell, it should come handy for fighting Abyssion. already fought Atlas (that guy either has too much health or too much armor, it was slow to kill). i was going to tackled Duke Fishron but got stopped because i dont have the Truffle in the town yet.

i dont know how fucked up is Duke Fishron in Revengeance but if its still as dull as the golem then the Calamimini and the Megalodon will be more than enough to put him down. but of course, if the shell is ready im gonna fight Abyssion. already got a place open to fight him, just need those aparitions to spawn.

EDIT:

it took more than 50 werewolves to get the charm and finally craft the Celestial Shell. i dont get why it doesnt have an upgrade in these mods, its weird taking in account that its a very important accesory but oh well. finally got the aparitions to spawn in the Aquatic Depths, the Abyssion fight was tough, he even made me spend the devil's grasp effect. but i got to kill him with a small margin.

the drops were insane, a Mantis Shrimp Punch with godly (180 damage not counting the weapon's effect, this is gonna be a really good melee replacement) and an Old Gods Grasp with Adept, as always i keep one of the weapons. the shell isnt really needed but i think i said at the start of this run that i would test it. so im gonna try checking what happens if i use the Shell during the Martian Madness Event while my minions are already summoned.

but first, im gonna hunt Duke Fishron.

EDIT 2:

ok forget that. that fucking pig does insane damage, what the fuck was that, not even half health.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 04:50:06 pm by xaritscin »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12851 on: November 04, 2017, 06:07:18 pm »

ok here's the research you people were waiting regarding the Abyssal Shell.

i made a test using the shell in 2 different instances. one was an event and the other a boss fight. Blue Moon and Duke Fishron respectively.

in one case i used only non potion buffs in an arena, the other was a dedicated buff based fight with proper setup before summoning.

takes in account Spooky armor and accesories that increase damage. along with Bewitching Table and Well fed buff.

the minion weapon of choice was the Entropy's Vigil, a summoning weapon from Calamity which gets up to 93-94 points of damage with regular non potion buffs and with the equipment im using. current max number of minions is 8-9 and the weapon summons 3 entities per slot. for a total of 24-27 minions on screen.

now the points:

1. encasing on the Abyssal Shell makes you impervious to damage, in both instances the character wasnt hit, not even by a regular boss. please take in account that the Thorium wiki explicitly says that the Moon Lord is not affected by this and he hits as normal.

2. minion damage is gutted as expected. even with buffs the minions were doing a pitifull 1 damage point per hit. maximum DPS i saw in a case was 30 DPS.

3. minion Knockback isn affected

4. healing effects from other sources arent affected it seems, i mean, i switch to a thorium related armor called Life Bloom Armor which its set bonus is "minions have a 33% to heal you", this effect wasnt affected by the use of the shell and kept being healed by the minions even when they werent doing any significant damage to the enemies.

what i couldnt test:

-combat debuffs like poison, venom, frostburn, on-fire, cursed inferno and shadowflames being nerfed by the shell.

i found that the Brimstone Flames effect that the Calamimini put on enemies wasnt being debuffed by the shell but it may be possible that the vanilla damaging debuffs could be affected.

and well that's all, no i didnt kill Duke Fishron with this strat, he has 99000 in this mode, just  seeing his health drop to 90000 was enough to bore me to death.

conclusions:

A. for events this accesory is pretty good because since most enemies dont have enormous amounts of health you can turtle the whole event unscathed. it will be boring as fuck but you can leave the minions killing stuff while you AFK with other things.

B. for boss fights i would say this is a situational item, kinda like "im getting close to dying, better enter into the shell and wait until i get full health again" (the shell has a debuff that nerfs your defensive and offensive potential 20 seconds, which is the downtime of the item between entering again, seems logical).
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 06:23:02 pm by xaritscin »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12852 on: November 04, 2017, 06:14:44 pm »

ok forget that. that fucking pig does insane damage, what the fuck was that, not even half health.
It was a later game revengence boss, ehehe. Don't get hit. Ever. Current critter's now idling around 900 HP, 140-ish armor, some degree of damage reduction percentile, halved contact damage when applicable. Still getting one-shot when certain things (the things may be bosses, just sayin') manage to touch me. Usually the crits that do it, but they do it.

It's a really odd sensation to be going shitshitshitshitgtfotheway in terraria when you've frozen your HP closer to a thousand than a hundred, tbh. Ultimately the boss strategies start looking kinda' like this, heh. Good bit like that in vanilla, too, but it's not overkill that there's about a half dozen different ways to get revived on fatal damage between these mods.

... also yeah, there's a reason I've been babbling about needing multiple thousands of damage per second, and you're seeing it, heh. You're starting to get into the part of the game where bosses will cheerfully make you chew through a million+ HP. Fortunately (?), the mods also provide the means to do so, to varying degrees.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 06:16:25 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12853 on: November 04, 2017, 08:00:50 pm »

what is most ironic is that i was able to survive the Martian Madness event. ok you can evade most of the boss attacks by hiding behind a roof but even then the minions were shredding it. whereas i tried to take on the Plaguebringer Goliath on different terrain and still got fucked up. its almost like its projectiles are invisible or something.

anyways. no UFO Staff from the martians, but i got a sentry weapon. basically i can now summon a tesla tower minion and boy is it nasty, it can hit throught blocks. also it seems that if i do it on the correct order i can have up to 5 sentries on screen, the order is old one's army turret -> molten mortar -> wispguard -> moongazer -> tesla tower

speaking of the old one's army. im gonna see if i can fight Betsy. i dont think they buffed it(her?) for Revengeance gotta check. its not like the other bosses arent killing me with the most absurd damage.

EDIT:

yeah old one's army version 3 defeated. finally got the Flameburst Staff and added ruthless to it. good increase in damage at least from the control side. i need a minion that can deal with these new bosses. maybe its time to make the Butterfly Staff IV and then make it into The Butterfly Staff (i have a golden one saved since the start of the game).
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 08:40:31 pm by xaritscin »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12854 on: November 04, 2017, 09:38:42 pm »

the adventure paid up. a visit to the dungeon netted a lot of ectoplasm,ectoblood (which can be used to make more ectoplasm) and bones. also, found a spectral butterfly. since it was hard to get one to spawn with so much enemies i went to the jungle instea and got 4 chlorophyte butterflies, then changed to combat because i got swarmed by 2 Plaguebringer wasps. that netted me enough to craft the staff, then fuse it with the golden butterfly i had to make The Butterfly Staff which with spooky armor and ruthless gets to 106 damage. it doesnt sound too much but butterflies have been really critical in taking down some bosses in the past. if they're not enough to take care of Duke Fishron/Plaguebringer Goliath, i dont know what im gonna do honestly.

i got enough canisters to summon that goddamned wasp 2 times. gotta check if i have some item i could do to evade the damage. the shell would be a nice option if it wasnt because it kills the DPS against a 89,600 health mob.

and it would be a eternal fight against it. even if the butterflies latch onto it. gonna test if i can bunker myself inside a cabin and use it to evade the projectiles. i could use the dash from the shield to protect myself from harm but im not sure the minions will be able to do anything then. anyways, i still ahve some potions to try.

EDIT:

aaand that's it. the thing died by a mix of butterflies and megalodon with ichor bullets. i had to keep aiming while the sentries focused on the boss because with the short rangeo f the butterflies they could only hit it a few times. anyways i killed it before it killed me, got enough space in the surface to dodge the attacks. it droped a toxic heart which can be fused with the other bee items to make a weird toxic accesory. it also dropped some kind of shotgun.

now i think im gonna check what i can use to fight Duke Fishron. probably is the time to shine for the Leviathan Ambergris. who knows...

EDIT2:

well it seems the Ravager is the next boss actually. and i have plenty of the materials to summon him so yeah, im going to check that one. shouldnt be too hard....i hope.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 10:05:09 pm by xaritscin »
Pages: 1 ... 855 856 [857] 858 859 ... 887