Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 848 849 [850] 851 852 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1307970 times)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!
« Reply #12735 on: October 24, 2017, 06:41:40 pm »

was going to start fishing for materials but forgot to buy bait (one of the mods is allowing bait to be bought from the merchant) or bring the bug net to catch grasshoppers/butterflies. so now im camping the east end of the map in search of goblin scouts or pinkies.

the base is almost finished. just need to get the iron for crafting the bathroom props, make some more chests and build the 3rd floor with the attic and balcony. also need to craft the living/dining. the nurse has already moved (but it seems you cant use her during boss battles because of Revengeance mode).

the hill sitting next to the house has been tunneled. have to add a brick roof to it to prevent vines from clogging up vision. the top part of the hill will probably be left untouched unless i figure out what to do with that space. then i'll probably start doing a house for the Guide.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12736 on: October 24, 2017, 09:37:49 pm »

the house is finished. got enough metal from fishing for making the bathroom and finished the rest of the structure. now i just need to gater enough metal to make the rest of the storage i need. in the meantime, the Dryad settled in with an assortment of usefull stuff. i got to buy the summon item for the Desert Scourge and fought it 3 more times until it dropped the summoning item. it came with godly but since its a minion i cant use it at the same time than my Butterfly Staff II which wins by an extra point of damage.

im gonna finish the attic stairs and resume the search for the goblin scout.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12737 on: October 25, 2017, 12:25:45 am »

Eh? Why not? Use the scourge summon thing, I mean. It's not a bad idea to have mixed summons even if one or two does less damage, just for a variety of attack patterns. Unless it's something specific about the butterfly staff, heh.

... anyway, yeah, post-WoF things get... get. Once you start chipping your way into the content wall of death that is the boss fights. Currently mostly-puttering about with a summon heavy kit, too, just beyond the early game. Possibly I may have some sort of problem, because I have five summoning weapons, three minion granting accessories (and yes, if you haven't met them yet there are a good handful of these, just mostly seem to be post-wall), and two stationary portal/turret things.* Single target damage is kinda' iffy, but I can also more or less suppress anything that isn't a boss within two or three (of my) screens of the player character. Invasions are... amusing. The bar goes up and I don't see most of the invasion at all amusing.

Been setting up large hollowed out areas in pertinent parts of the underground (so far, hallow, spirit ice, desert, dungeon, and jungle), putting a few platforms (most with a chest or two, and I'm working to get safes out to 'em, to make it easier to shuttle drops between them and base). Pirate invasion, iirc, dropped the magnet thing, so I basically park myself in the rough center of the area, drop the two stationaries, then whip out the magnet and wait for whatever it is I'm trying to get to stream into my hands as things die in droves, hehehe. It's nice. Pretty passive unless I'm feeling frisky, but nice.

Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12738 on: October 25, 2017, 12:47:16 am »

i try to focus first on damage and clinging rather than having a mixed team. butterflies are the easiest to get stuck but they are currently the highest damage weapon i have. i have the living wood sapling as extra but 3 flights of butterflies can rip apart most enemies and they seek and lock on them. i havent tested the combat capabilities of the Brittle Staff minions, the starfishes seem too slow and get stuck much like the butterflies.

oh yeah i want to get my hands on some sentries. im gonna do the Old One's Army once i've defeated the EoW/BoC. at least the pre-hardmode part for now, dont know how good would those be for other boss battles but still. propably will use a mix of the ranger armor with a calamity weapon that is crafted out of Stormlion claw. but first i need a higher tier of pickaxe to chip Aerialite. the weapon is only to make use of the extra damage taking in account all those armors are sentry focused and the Scourge as much usefull as it is would be low on damage at that point. i think.

im not thinking on anything for hardmode. just checking what weapons i get and which armor i can get atm. just replaced the sandstone tools with clatterbone from some carapace i dropped from the new underground mobs but its still not powerfull enough to mine Aerialite or the Aquatic Depths blocks so i cant get the Pearl for The Ring. im gonna keep going with the NPC housing thing now that i got some more stone. getting iron may be difficult but i have some good fishing spots here and there.  if not i may have to do the artificial pond first.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12739 on: October 25, 2017, 08:20:39 am »

Hrm. Well, possible assistance venue, if you haven't/think you can manage finding and killing a queen bee, doing that so harpies will start sporadically dropping talons might be helpful. Iirc that can get you something neat or two, primarily a cheapo set of wings. Want to say you can do some interesting stuff with skyplate and particularly clouds, too, if you can hunt up some islands. Also might consider trucking down and nabbing some granite/marble and their fancy glowing counterparts... pretty sure those can get you some good-ish stuff for that early on, and granite in particular isn't terribly dangerous critter wise. Also never forget bombs, heh. Can get you some stuff you otherwise can't mine at the mo'.

Though yeah, starfish are kinda' garbage. As you note, too slow, you'd get better results from brier elementals, never mind something better. Sentry wise... iirc, the ballista in particular can/will help plenty for EoC/etc. fights. Nice extra spat of damage, the piercing can help with critter spawning, and the range on 'em let's you not be as finicky about positioning. The trap-y ones can also be a'ight for taking a chunk out when something charges, I think. Not so sure about the fire 'un -- shorter range, no pierce, etc. Deffo worth getting if you can, basically, and I'm pretty sure you can get one effectively for free so there's not much reason to avoid rolling with one.

E: Oooh, and definitely see about triggering a goblin invasion as soon as you think you can clear it. Think it's the sorcerers that drop something really good for a summoner in the early game. Not a summon item itself, but (the plasma bolt, I think it's called?) rather a low-ish damage magic weapon that inflicts a crapton of debuffs, of which either ichor or broken armor is among them. Tremendous help for upping minion damage, and the rest of the stuff it puts out don't hurt.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 08:28:03 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12740 on: October 25, 2017, 06:13:19 pm »

im advancing the game slowly. see what i can get from the different modded materials. but yeah im gonna go with the ballista, at least for now, saving the mana for the minions. besides, i think Thorium adds some weapons that do Summon damage but dont use minions so ima get some of those later on just in case.

speaking of non summon weapons, camping the map's edge for those goblins netted me the Bloody Machete. i did some landscaping to ease map movement (just filling some holes, opening some of those surface tunnels that spawn  blocked halfway, etc..) while keeping an eye for the rare spawns.

it finally paid up after a single day near the ocean. so i promptly when and crafted the standard to bring the goblins into the the Amphitheater. the butterflies are a bit buggy when it comes to stuff coming out from the edge of the screen but it was finished in a few minutes. got more than half stack of Yew Wood for construction, a yoyo (must be either from Spirit or Calamity) more than half stack of spiky balls (sadly i didnt bring corrupt seeds to this world so i cant cheese the EoW yet the terrain doesnt allow it but there seems to be a good pocket of purity between 2 crimson at the west of the map), some of those explosive spiky balls and the harpoon.

i also got to kill another Pinky during a slime rain, so now i just need to get another Nymph spawn to further advance the Tracker contracts. from the spelunking side i found 2 spiders caves, 1 had the Stylist, and the other had the chest. i was hoping to get the spider summon accesory, but no luck with the webbed husk prop that drops it. gotta have to keep looking for nests.

after that i built the Guide's house. nothing too fancy, grey brick for the floor, glass for windows, mostly normal wood, a hearth, a chimney and red bricks roof, bedroom with bathroom included. space to put a cooking pot, a table with chair and a bookcase. actually the only missing thing are the bathroom props because well, iron/lead deficit but otherwise the structure is finished.

now the Stylist is housed in one of the living trees, and the blacksmith settled in with the guide. after that i spent the rest of the morning preparing a pond. crafted some buckets and started moving water from nearby spots so not only i got more dried land to build upon but i should get a water body big enough to fish properly. however since i dont have the fishing accesories i cant really check if i get debuffed.

the next boss in the list is Crabulon from Calamity. gotta do spelunking to find a proper mushroom biome, but im unprepared actually (still at 200 health). so im gonna try and finish the housing for some of the other NPCs.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12741 on: October 25, 2017, 08:35:11 pm »

... man, you sound like you're actually making decent housing. Can't claim that, myself, ahaha. link because that's a half meg file and I can't be arsed to fix that for a forum image, heh

Though re: yoyo, yeeaaah, between those three mods there are a freakish amount of yoyos. Know some are from thorium, but there's definitely more coming from the others, too. There's yoyos for invasions, there's yoyos for specific biomes, post/pre Wall, specific enemies, yoyos for gorram days. All of them kinda' eh :V

I'd almost say try and do the gobbos another time or two, though. As noted, that plasma bolt I mentioned is really good (I was actually using it on the WoF, since again it's one of the few pre-wall means to access armor down debuffs), and there's also a gubbin' you'll eventually want if you didn't have one drop (chaos ember, checking).

And yeah, thorium, at least, does have a few weapons that do summon damage but doesn't use (semi)persistent minions to do it. Want to say there's not many, though, and either pretty late game or just fairly hard to find/build. Also re: thorium, I'm pretty sure you can sneak down to the depths with a bomb or five and get the makings for a block that passively generates water, if you don't feel like bucketing it up. Takes some of the walling down there and aquatite (25:1 ratio, makes 200), but I'm pretty sure they're not explosive resistant... think there's some just in the walls anyway, too.

... also double checking that, it turns out it's quite good the stuff generates water, because I've apparently accidentally'd my eastern ocean. Not entirely sure how I drained the thing, but I've apparently drained the thing. Whoops.
Ask not!
Ask!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12742 on: October 25, 2017, 09:18:20 pm »

well speaking of water i just discovered that liquid duplication thing using blocks shaped like a J and a single bucket. made the pond larger because i was getting trash so needed to add more blocks of water there. it worked like a charm. now i have to test if this works for Honey too, forgot to add that to the Amphitheater.

speaking of builds, here's an album with the buildings so far:

https://imgur.com/a/khF2u

Merchant's Store

Guide's house

Demolitionist's mine/tunnel

the home base

and the Amphitheater

some rooms are unfinished and im still mising the Eternia Crystal Stands. but well, i have a deficit of iron that i have to complement, now that i can fish for metals  well, that should change soon.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #12743 on: October 25, 2017, 09:34:09 pm »

Using a "U" shape works better with lava and honey, that way half goes into the U and half goes into the cistern. Since lava and honey are so slow you need to wait a second before clicking again, and you often miss the perfect moment. With the U you just move the cursor a bit and fill from the U.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12744 on: October 25, 2017, 10:23:20 pm »

yeah i guess you have to be patient with those. i only need enough honey to dip myself when needed

found a mushroom biome right next to the marble cave i was mining. gathered enough mushrooms to make the item for summoning Crabulon but the asshole permaknocked me into oblivion because i made the mistake of moving down without knowing this guy can fall throught blocks. he was close to dying but i got killed first. now i have to wait for those mushrooms to spawn again.

on the other hand, i got lucky while mining the opening to the biome and got a Nymph to spawn. so now im wearing a Diamond Robe to see if i can get Tim to appear for the next contract. with that i would be pendant to kill a Minotaur from the Dungeon. both the Minotaur and the Nymph have important items unlocked from the tracker (a Theseus thread that teleports you to the Dungeon when used, and an Altar that can be used as alternative to Demon/Crimson Altars).

once i've finished with Crabulon im gonna build the next house, if the space near the lake allows it.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12745 on: October 26, 2017, 12:18:34 am »

finally found Tim. i dont have to look for more rare mobs until after Skeletron. i also found a minibiome, a "Glade" which spawns underground as a patch of grass with flowery background walls and dirtblocks choke full with grass inside. there's also some gravestones, broke one and it spawned a miniboss. it died quickly and left a sword called Oak Heart, tooltip says this thing act both as a melee and a throwing weapon. still not enough damage to surpass my Scourge of The Desert.

also, Tim dropped a scroll accesory, but the guide informed me that its used to make a magic book item that summons random critters/enemies (doesnt count bosses or NPCs aparently). anyways im gonna fish while waiting for those mushrooms to grow again. already got 13 but waiting in the underground is boring.  may also start checking the terrain to see how much space i can take to make the Cook+Barkeeper Restaurant.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12746 on: October 26, 2017, 07:03:26 am »

Heads up, that oak heart thing has at least one extra trick to it. Killing another (or a few more) wraith(s) will drop its companion item. I'unno if it actually makes the thing particularly worth it, but it's somethin'.

Unfortunately(?), the throwing+melee thing isn't terribly sexy until notably past the point the heart's damage is worth squat. There's a bunch of later armors and accessories that spread out their bonuses a bit, and having something that'll double dip, so to speak, can be a pretty significant boost if you itemize for it. That said, there are more items later on that have the same(ish, some are other combinations) effect, if you want to tool around with it once it's a more functioning gimmick.
Ask not!
Ask!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12747 on: October 26, 2017, 12:38:47 pm »

started building the foundations of the restaurant. a bat dropped the depth meter and the merchant died because he got knocked by a slime into the lake and couldnt climb back. i spent a lot of time farming the mushrooms but that stupid crab locked me again. it was under 200 health the fucker. im gonna have to add platforms or something.

gonna wait if the travelling merchant comes with Dynasty materials. or start building the rest of the houses that dont need it.

EDIT:

yeah i think im gonna farm the Reach for Elderbark and leaves. it seems there's a furniture set that would go really good with the Druid NPC.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 12:42:26 pm by xaritscin »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12748 on: October 26, 2017, 01:54:05 pm »

got an aged root pod while farming the elderbark. it seems its one of the materials for the artifact weapons of the Spirit mod so im genning a new corruption small world to fight Scarabeus and the EoC for the other three materials i need.

also, i got killed in the Reach from something that was shooting poison seeds at me. couldnt see it actually. i died trying to locate the enemy. anyways i got 62 units of Elderbark. it should be enough to craft most of what i need (well, i think im gonna be left missing the bathroom again but anyways).

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12749 on: October 26, 2017, 02:43:37 pm »

the Druid's house is done. well, the only mising things are some of the bathroom furnitures because i dont even know if Spirit has a Sink for this. and the Elderbark Dresser + Bed arent being taken in account for housing for some reason (already reported just in case).

once the day passes im gonna do the Dryad's house with Living Wood materials. for now the only working space is the living room and the Tracker settled in it. so now i got the Altar and the Summon weapon i wanted. the pinky staff is still down in terms of damage but its a fine addition to my collection. the altar was the most important because now i dont have to run to the crimson every time i want to have a summoning item ready.
Pages: 1 ... 848 849 [850] 851 852 ... 887