Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 846 847 [848] 849 850 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1308005 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!
« Reply #12705 on: October 21, 2017, 04:51:10 pm »

Life regeneration massively reduced =/= life regen halted. If you're invulnerable to most forms of damage (which probably means you're taking 1 point of damage from most hits), stacking campfire, honey, and maybe a regen potion oughta negate the worst of that. If you're really paranoid, wire up a heart statue to a timer so you've got guaranteed healing.

As long as there's no time pressure involved (a mechanical boss and it'll disappear/go enraged at sunrise, for example), just let your summons inflict scratch damage and debuffs while you idle.

Now if summons don't work while this shell is active, then I've got nothing.

I only really glanced at the discussion, and have no knowledge of the mods in question, but could you set up a repeating dart/spike trap? I'd doubt trap damage is affected by the debuff.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12706 on: October 21, 2017, 05:01:21 pm »

I usually just make a single skyscraper for all my NPCs. Sometimes I build a second building, but either way it's just a bunch of identical small apartments.
This is pretty much me as well. My current base is just a skybunker about 15 tiles off the ground with a whole bunch of storage, a statue farm room, and like 20 identical NPC houses on the bottom for convenient healing and hiding during various events. Annoyingly, just popped hard mode and evidently its SOMEHOW high enough to get wyverns, despite the bottom being literally 15 tiles above world spawn.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12707 on: October 21, 2017, 05:07:23 pm »

Wyverns can spawn surprisingly low, especially on small worlds. One big reason I usually put at least two or three NPCs on each level when I go the tower route and put bulky projects like statue farms just underground.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12708 on: October 21, 2017, 08:35:15 pm »

something's gonna come up eventually. for now, im just enjoying the early game.

about the Abyssal Shell. yeah i said that traps probably bypass the damage nullification effect because they are external devices i think. im gonna test it once i've gotten that far in the game.

also, nothing more brick shitting than casually strolling to the desert to put your platform when suddenly you see a mob called "Cnidrion" (or something like that) with 1080 health and water bolt attacks. NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE...........NOPE

also, i've gotten attacked by "Wulfrum" slimes and drones. it seems they drope some kind of early game multi class items. i mean, the armor doesnt seem to give much defense but you can choose a different headgear that boosts an specific class each one. it seems limited in weapons tho. but i've alreay crafted a Living Wood armor so i dont see the use on it. probably will sell for good cash.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12709 on: October 22, 2017, 10:01:28 am »

hmmmm another underground intersection between Tundra and Forest. still can get enemies to appear i think. i successfully platformed the Antlion nest to check whats past it, a small patch of forest, and more desert with a piramid at the limit with the jungle. im almost finished clearing the entrance.

i've seen 2 Cnidirions/Cnidrions the whole game, i dont get how you're supposed to deal with those things but i guess the absurd HP and damage comes from Reveangence mode itself. havent checked further in the calamity wiki.

im trying to check the equipments at the current lvl from each mod. current armor is Living Wood Armor from Thorium mostly because of easy crafting recipe, just needed to find a living wood tree for it. it also has a synergy with the Living Wood Sapling minion. Spirit gives Silk Armor for summoner which has the same defense stats and a percentual damage increase but requires gold and silk, so nope. calamity has Wulfrum Armor with summoner headgear, this one gives more armor and defense but the damage increase is like 3%. the set bonus could be good against pre-king slime bosses.

in terms of combat. Spirit seems to have at least 3 starting summon weapons (the wiki is too incomplete to figure it out properly), i crafted one called Sun Spirit Staff which puts a sentry style minion over your head. from Thorium i took a bit more of time because i needed to catch a butterfly to make a butterfly charm which makes rare butterflies to spawn while in your inventory, then had to collect 5 to make a Butterfly Staff I (there's a whole saga of this things and i can feel like Dr. Kondraki with an army of butterflies). Calamity doesnt seem to have an early game summon weapon outside of one that is dropped by the first boss so this is my current weapon count.

in terms of accesories i've already got the aglet, the spiked shoes and a shackle. nothing more.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12710 on: October 22, 2017, 10:47:52 am »

Iirc (I've actually loaded up the same mod list and am poking around a bit :P), there's a pretty nice early game summoning weapon available if you can reach the... Reach. Brier elemental summon staff, can build it out of critter drops in the area (and the critters are pretty tame, basically somewhat higher damage skeletons, eyeballs, and slimes, so long as you don't go too far underground); the damage per damage instance is about in line with that sun spirit, but the way it attacks means it can occasionally end up inside things and stack up a good chunk of damage. Has just the right amount of knockback to make it hard for stuff like eyes to get to you, too.

There's also good odds of finding, um. Some mineral I've already forgotten the name of, kinda' pale green and pointy. In chests in the biome in question. Want to say it's eight or so to make a pretty nice sword for that stage of the game, decently fast swinging and launches a straight line projectile with good range and a chance to poison. Made dealing with stuff until I got better junk much more smooth. Other pretty nice one, if you can dig up some diamonds -- 5 diamonds, 3 fallen stars, and 50 throwing knives makes an infinite ammo throwing weapon with alright-ish damage for that stage of the game, that splinters part way through its throwing arc, shooting off three or four extra projectiles in other directions. Pretty good stuff for pre-boss access.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12711 on: October 22, 2017, 11:01:26 am »

i havent found the Reach yet. theres a Tundra with crimson, a big desert and a jungle with crimson. one of the face monsters dropped a Creeper Wand. it has the same damage as the sapling but since its a timed summon i bet it doesnt eat minion cap so this ups my DPS.

i've gotten somehow luck and the travelling merchant had the DPS meter and Stopwatch. and there was a nymph sitting around while spelunking so now i got the metal detector. now if i could get those GPS materials it would be great.

im trying to use only summons actually. dont want to clog my inventory with weapons, or at least not yet.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12712 on: October 22, 2017, 11:47:14 am »

got enough Wulfrum to build the armor. there's no crimson altar nearby so i had to travel to the tundra an explore a crimson hand. i can summon Scarabeus, which should be the easiest boss so far. also, most of his drops are summoner related so they may be a proper boost. the creeper wand is a replacement for the sun spirit for now (they replace between each other). the bonus from Wulfrum Helm is pretty bad actually, as the game rounds up the value to integers so no real damage boost for the weapons i have. Living Wood Armor gave a flat +2. but still, the defensive capabilities of the armor are much more needed.

i have an ironskin and regeneration potion. and the materials ready to make a desert arena. the only downside is that i havent found a heart crystal to make the lantern. but for an early game boss i shouldnt need so muc, i think.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12713 on: October 22, 2017, 12:39:58 pm »

ok i fucked it up. Scarabeus is stronger than the Grand Thunderbird. should have had better equipment to fight him. im gonna save materials to summon the bird instead. with my summons it shouldnt be too hard to beat.

EDIT:

it worked! i gathered a few dayblooms to make regen and ironskin and the minions finished the bird in a few minutes. the only downside i that i got killed by a remaining attack. also, there's a sandstorm, and i seem to have seen a hostile npc in a turban riding on an Antlion Swarmer. wut

EDIT 2:

ok the expert mode bag came with a hatchling staff. good, if not because it has Annoying modifier so it has the same damage as the butterfly staff 1. since i didnt get the zephyr, i'll probably have to farm the bird until i get something better. already replaced copper tools with sandstone ones and crafted a few sandstone throwing knives to deal extra damage.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 01:02:51 pm by xaritscin »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12714 on: October 22, 2017, 01:21:33 pm »

Uh. Hrm. Well, if you can pop a shadow orb/heart whatsit, and chill till a meteor drops. Then go gets some. You can make a staff for 10 bars, and the meteor heads it pops out are pretty brutal. Also looks like meteor armor's got a summoning variant, too.

Also pretty sure you want that NPC. Maybe knock it off the swarmer or something, don't quite remember what it entails. That sounds like the desert NPC guy, and that's the one that gives you the damage multiplying throwing accessories of doom. Maybe less applicable if you're trying full summon, though, I'unno. Guy potentially has some really sexy stuff if it's the same one, anyway.

E: Also meteor wise, the meteor fist (also 10 bars, if I haven't already forgotten) is very useful, if you haven't tried it before. One of the best exploratory illumination items available, early on. The explosion the fists leave lingers long enough to get a pretty good view of whatever's below it, and they don't use ammo or cost mana soooo...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 01:25:05 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12715 on: October 22, 2017, 01:28:26 pm »

naa it seems its a hostile NPC from the Spirit mod. the desert acolyte looks different. im not gonna mess with meteorite to be honest. i fell one in the past run because i needed to summon the goblins but i dont kno what to expect even pre-EoC so i'll probably farm goblin scouts while getting better equipped. meteorite bars can also be found in shadow chest in the underworld too.

ok i got the Zephyr in the second match against the bird and it seems i can improve the butterfly  staff to lvl2 if i get 5 crimson butterflies (easiest tier 2 butterflies to get right now). gonna check the crimsone patch in the jungle.

oh and an antlion dropped "mandible claw" which is a 15 damage meele weapon similar to the Bladed Glove/Fetid Bagnakhs (or whatever they're called)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 01:30:27 pm by xaritscin »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12716 on: October 22, 2017, 03:19:09 pm »

Oh, neat. If you happen to have not been around those cnidrions or whatever they are long enough. Turns out the oversized blue gecko can move itself through walls.

Of all the things I expected it to do after seeing it the first time, noclip was not among them.
Ask not!
Ask!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12717 on: October 22, 2017, 03:45:08 pm »

yeah i saw it do that the firs time it spawned.

ok i mapped the surface. there's no more living wood trees in this world so i'll have to find the sap in other worlds. the dungeon and the reach are at the west end while the jungle and the abyssal depths are at the east.

bot sides of the map are infected with crimson too. checking the reach chests didnt turn any briar staff so far, have to check on the underground part of the biome but without a hook its too dangerous to move around the traps.

i crafted an altar of creation and have found enough chests to keep storage afloat for a while. im gonna do the world seeking until i get the sap then go and try to hunt the Scarabeus boss. or maybe kill a Cnidrion since it drops sea related stuff that i could use to craft acuatic bars.

EDIT:

turns out the Sun Spirit Staff is from Calamity, so it does have an early start summon weapon. im gonna look for the Briar Staff from Spirit then. but taking in account that im close to being combat worthy for the Scarabeus fight, i may not need it. gonna get it just for collection.

also, the Cnidrion is a mini boss, that's why it has so much health and damage, its the only pre-hardmode minibos from Calamity it seems. the hippocampus monster spawns in the underground desert, allthought i dont know why its appearing in the surface, must follow the same spawn rules as Antlions.

EDIT 2:

aaaand got the Briar Staff in the small world i was checking.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 04:34:46 pm by xaritscin »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12718 on: October 22, 2017, 04:47:25 pm »

Cni's a rare critter, at least. Conceptually. I was blast mining my way around the underground desert (revengence makes that a lot more sustainable early on, by the by) and ran into like a dozen of the ruddy things inside maybe 20, 30 minutes at the most.

Best suggestion I have with it is to have some kind of minion that will track onto things (brier will do it, I'm currently using meteor heads because they're friggin' amazing, especially with the meteor armor summoning set) and then hide behind a wall. The projectiles don't pierce, so as long as it's not cheerfully ignoring collision you're pretty much entirely safe as your minions whittle down their health.

E: Huh. Well that's interesting. Dunno if it's intentional, but once you get access to the enchanter, you can enchant weapons. Oddity to it, the effect isn't bound to the specific weapon's attacks, so if you have, say, the poison cloud proc one on your primary, any other sources of damage you're putting out also gain the effect so long as you're currently using the enchanted weapon.

Sources like, say, minions. Because these meteor heads totally needed extra crit, and a poison proc that puts out four clouds each doing like 4 times a single head hit, on top of the meteor armor's "Hey let's juggle that darksteel knight" summoner set ability. Whee.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 06:28:20 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12719 on: October 22, 2017, 07:00:27 pm »

yeah it would be good to have minions that pass throught blocks. most of the summons i've gathered focus enemies even at off screen but some like the butterfly can get stuck. i dont know about enchanting but i've gotten several of those empty glyphs, gotta check later.

lost count in how many worlds i had to gen to get a single Living Wood Sap. adding +1 damage to minions and +5% to minion knockback doesnt sound too much but this thing can be fused with an spider related item to make it stronger and with an additional effect.

also, its an early game summoner accesory so its worth it. besides, the Wulfrum armor isnt giving any damage boost right now. i can now return to my main world to keep going with the plan.
Pages: 1 ... 846 847 [848] 849 850 ... 887