Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 789 790 [791] 792 793 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1308143 times)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!
« Reply #11850 on: July 09, 2015, 09:28:02 pm »

Quick question, is there anything ONLY available in hardcore-annoyance-bullshit mode, or is that just more of the same lewtz for dealing with the irritating grief?

If you meant Hardcore Character-specific mode, no you don't get any.

If you meant expert mode? Increased drop rates for items, seemingly better money drops (at the cost of losing 75% of your current personal inventory cash if you die), and expert mode exclusive drops on bosses only (minus Lunatic Cultist).

Enemies gain roughly twice the amount of HP they have on normal, deal twice the damage they deal on normal, defense formulas are counted differently (with 94 def you can go as far as receiving only 6-9 damage on lava on top of the fire debuff), and normal mobs scale to hardmode damage tiers when you activate hardmode.

E: You also seemingly lose 50% of the dropped cash when you die or maybe a mob just picked it up idk. I lost 500 platinum out of the cheathaxy characters I had, for dying once.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11851 on: July 09, 2015, 09:48:17 pm »

That said, one particular item will save you loads of grief from that 75% loss rate coupled with monsters picking up and running off with your platinum: the Money Trough.  You can get this in regular gameplay, and it's a bit of a difficult drop (0.5% base or 1% expert from the new Blood Moon-specific enemies; an unknown but significantly higher chance from the Eye of Cthulhu if killed during a Blood Moon), but being able to pull out a flying piggy bank any time you have a brief moment of grace between fights to drop off your money and any items you want to keep really helps take the pain of death out of both Soft and Mediumcore. 

Of course, Mediumcore still gives you the risk of losing your Money Trough, unless you put the Trough inside the piggy bank and block yourself from summoning it again.  It's not quite on Dredmor levels of recursive storage (Lutefisk boxes :3), but it's still a decent idea if you're going into a risky situation without a Mirror or recall potion. 
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 09:51:23 pm by Culise »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11852 on: July 09, 2015, 09:55:07 pm »

That said, one particular item will save you loads of grief from that 75% loss rate coupled with monsters picking up and running off with your platinum: the Money Trough.  You can get this in regular gameplay, and it's a bit of a difficult drop (0.5% base or 1% expert from the new Blood Moon-specific enemies; an unknown but significantly higher chance from the Eye of Cthulhu if killed during a Blood Moon), but being able to pull out a flying piggy bank any time you have a brief moment of grace between fights to drop off your money and any items you want to keep really helps take the pain of death out of both Soft and Mediumcore. 

Of course, Mediumcore still gives you the risk of losing your Money Trough, unless you put the Trough inside the piggy bank and block yourself from summoning it again.  It's not quite on Dredmor levels of recursive storage (Lutefisk boxes :3), but it's still a decent idea if you're going into a risky situation without a Mirror or recall potion.

marking the item as favorite doesnt protect it from being dropped?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11853 on: July 09, 2015, 10:08:50 pm »

Yeah... re: Expert gold loss, you drop 75%, but if you're quick enough you can usually get it back. Something may pick it up, but it's not terribly uncommon for that to not happen, too, and for the thing to still be loitering around when you get back if it does (and then you kill it and get your moneys back, maybe). Between that and the increased income rate (due both to more gold in general and the extra drops -- my expert world has dropped like half a plat of goddamn ice biome yoyos on me, so far), that aspect of expert is often fairly painless.

The rest of it may cheerfully kick you in the crotch, but the gold loss really isn't that bad.

Though yeah, expert on anything but softcore is just masochism. I'd really say just don't bother. It's hard enough without the extra irritation. Bloody hell, I've actually been killed while I gave myself infinite hp, and not even to the dungeon head! Just one of the pillar things. Managed to take 500 damage in one go, through chlorophyte armor and full warding acessories, and insta-died. Expert don't screw around too much, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11854 on: July 09, 2015, 10:15:35 pm »

Yeah it looks like the extra shit is just from bosses anyway. When I get back to it I'll just play softcore on normal and make an Expert boss arena world later.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11855 on: July 09, 2015, 10:34:00 pm »

while trying to farm in the marble biome near the hellevator i got to kill tim so now i have the wizard hat. got like 53 gold from all the stuff i've been doing, mostly fishing while being defended by my hornets. crates seem to be more common in expert mode (havent got a jungle or other biome specific crate though).

most of that gold went into reforging the shark tooth necklace and the band of regeneration, the former got +4 defense and the other +2 (will need to churn out more money for it).

part of the money was recovered selling a large stack of bass converted into cooked fish to the travelling merchant, from him i bought the katana and the portable cement mixer.

got low on bait trying to find an harpyfish for the angler quest.

also been looking at the way the game handles damage calculation and that stuff. surprised with the damage some of the pre-hardmode stuff does when looking at all the calculations with the pre-hardmode equipment avaliable. for example, the blowgun with blowdarts and necro armor along with the normal buffs you use net you like 56 damage per dart, and guess it pulls more with hardmode darts...

« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 10:50:02 pm by xaritscin »

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #11856 on: July 09, 2015, 10:35:35 pm »

My understanding is that you can't use expert-only items in a non-expert world. Food for thought.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11857 on: July 09, 2015, 10:49:13 pm »

My understanding is that you can't use expert-only items in a non-expert world. Food for thought.

There is exactly one item you can't use.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #11858 on: July 09, 2015, 11:42:57 pm »

I don't know if this is really relevant, but... It looks like managing to decompile the code leads to... Interesting developments. I've been watching an irc explode over reds bad coding practices for the past few minutes.

Not sure if it's decompiler nonsense or his coding, but I can't help but wonder if some of this is why Terraria has problems on toasters it really, really shouldn't be having.
When they started developing Terraria the development team, Red included, were amateurs. It's the videogame equivalent of a supercar held together with duct tape but still working perfectly.
thincake

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11859 on: July 09, 2015, 11:49:35 pm »

Still working, anyway. And yeah, Terraria's coding being kinda' shoddy has been known for like... years? For a long while.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11860 on: July 09, 2015, 11:53:37 pm »

Still working, anyway. And yeah, Terraria's coding being kinda' shoddy has been known for like... years? For a long while.

This has nothing to do with the potential for internet outrage. What kind of net-denizen are you?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #11861 on: July 09, 2015, 11:54:52 pm »

You mean if there isn't something to rage about, then no attention is paid to it?

Regardless, in regards to coding, either you spend forever trying to get it perfect or you go with what works.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 11:56:29 pm by etgfrog »
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11862 on: July 09, 2015, 11:57:47 pm »

TFW you accidentally use the magic mirror when fighting skeletron (and you were actually winning).....godammit......

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11863 on: July 10, 2015, 12:12:55 am »

This has nothing to do with the potential for internet outrage. What kind of net-denizen are you?
An experienced one clearly.

If you examine the code of almost any game it'll look like garbage. DF's is particularly atrocious so I've heard.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11864 on: July 10, 2015, 12:35:39 am »

after spending a whole day at the entrance of the dungeon i finally did it,  the fight was quite intense but strangely i only used healing potions 2 times. the arms took a time to destroy but after that it was just dodging the skulls and go full damage when the head was spinning, the tactic of using the bee gun to full depletion then change to the molten fury with jester arrows worked like a charm, the bees helped too, i practically didnt need the crimson rod for this fight, not even the beenades.

but anyways, he dropped the bone gloves and the book of skulls (dis gon be gud)....

Pages: 1 ... 789 790 [791] 792 793 ... 887