Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 779 780 [781] 782 783 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1307968 times)

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!
« Reply #11700 on: July 05, 2015, 09:11:28 pm »

Hardcore expert mode is an exercise in futility. It functionally becomes "Make an arena for absolutely everything you do and restart every x time". The only thing you're safe doing is mining in a straight line through solid ground while hammering out and replacing the back wall. Killing bosses pas EoC becomes roll the dice and see if you get lucky enough to progress.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11701 on: July 05, 2015, 10:21:25 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

after a long way down making the hellevator i hit a mushroom biome, in the surrounding space i found 2 heart crystals. i have so far found 3 cabins, one in the underground, one in the cavern and one in the mushrooms. got enough tin for a full armor set, not enough lead for the next but this should suffice for now.

in terms of accesories, got the spiked shoes, cloud in a jar and the lava charm. got two zombie arms in a row. so now i have a better melee damage. completed my mana pool too so now i can gather the stars for future potions or jester arrows.

the house for the nurse is ready. but i dont really have enough life for anything. maybe i could explore what lies beyond the desert now. i hope so.

EDIT:

after dying 2-3 times, finally mapped the desert, it has the underground entrance and all. bridged it with platforms, now results that i have the jungle right next to the desert. didnt survive to the large amount of mobs. will have to find more lead ore or something.

EDIT 2:

found enough lead for completing the armor, but died to a salamander and an throwing skeleton. this is annoying

EDIT 3:

things got a little bit more interesting, made a tin bow as replacement for the wooden one and crafte a large influx of wooden arrows. decided to go down to the caverns to find more ore and accidentaly got in encounter against a salamander. killed it by kiting it and knocking it with the arrows.

the fucker dropped a ruthless rally :D
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 11:13:52 pm by xaritscin »

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11702 on: July 05, 2015, 11:56:36 pm »

Some of your houses are really quite lovely.  My 1.3 house in my fresh Expert game thus far is basically a glorified flak tower built out of wood.  Even the last major project back before 1.2 was basically just a bunch of boxes stacked up, and even that's unfinished; you can see the bottom of the island is still far from complete, and there's no grass.  Also tended to get harpies if you jumped up from the top of the dome, so you had to watch out for that.  At any rate, my 1.3 house:

Actually, those two rooms that serve as entrances and exits were initially intended to be decorative, but turned out to be useful.  One of the new 1.3 enemies, the Dripplers, tends to float up and get caught inside, which lets me open the door and bounce them against the walls by using anything with knockback.  A few Demon's Eyes, too, but not nearly so many; they tend to bounce past the gaps. 

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #11703 on: July 06, 2015, 12:11:36 am »

I'm playing Mediumcore on expert mode.

now talking about difficulty, has someone got on the idea to play hardcore expert mode? or its too much insanity?
My brother (bless his naïve little heart) thought that'd be a good idea.
He's beaten the WoF once, though!
thincake

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11704 on: July 06, 2015, 12:24:26 am »

Some of your houses are really quite lovely.  My 1.3 house in my fresh Expert game thus far is basically a glorified flak tower built out of wood.  Even the last major project back before 1.2 was basically just a bunch of boxes stacked up, and even that's unfinished; you can see the bottom of the island is still far from complete, and there's no grass.  Also tended to get harpies if you jumped up from the top of the dome, so you had to watch out for that.  At any rate, my 1.3 house:

Actually, those two rooms that serve as entrances and exits were initially intended to be decorative, but turned out to be useful.  One of the new 1.3 enemies, the Dripplers, tends to float up and get caught inside, which lets me open the door and bounce them against the walls by using anything with knockback.  A few Demon's Eyes, too, but not nearly so many; they tend to bounce past the gaps.

making a house can be pretty challenging if you dont know how do you want to make it, i was used to just make a wooden box shapped building which would catter to fulfill the needs of the NPCs and served as a base without too much effort to make.

these houses have proven to be fun to make and made me actually spend the materials i get, its not so hard to make, just make sure to get enough iron/lead for a heavy workbench (doing stone slabs is easy since its a 1-1 material/output relation so no stone is lost in the conversion, it also looks cooler than the grey bricks).

you can use the wooden structure as a bunker for your stuff while you build the houses. however, you can just secure the main part of the house and build from the inside before the night comes. unless its a blood moon, then it would be better to stay in the bunker...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11705 on: July 06, 2015, 12:48:24 am »

Heh. If you don't know what you want to do with your NPC dwelling/house, just go with the land. Either hollow out a mountain/hill, or dig down a bit and find a fairly hole-y cave system. Maybe mix that with a staunch refusal to have any strictly rectangular rooms.* It's a pretty easy way to make neat looking/entirely-too-complicated-to-navigate domiciles. Then you just randomly clutter it up with whatever furniture and whatnot you end up pulling out of chests or whatev'. S'what I do when I'm not just making boxes, anyway :V

*An easy way to do this if you're hollowing out stuff underground, is just turn on smart-select or whatever it is, start mining, and then close your eyes and run around moving your mouse randomly for a bit. Make due with whatever affront to sensible architecture pops out :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11706 on: July 06, 2015, 12:55:49 am »

the hellevator has proven to be a success, by the time since the last update i've found at least 3 cabins in the way. got hermes boots, magic mirror and the enchanted boomerang.

got enough gold for the high tier watch and a compass from a piranha, havent dropped the depth meter, but a bat gave me the chain knife.

as for hooks, only have one unit, need more for making the grappling hook.

lead harmor gives enough resistance against the current mobs although they rarely hit me since i kill them with the yoyo.

the hellevator as it stands right now goes down up to the lava layer, further progress requires me to get rid of a flooded lava pool, as the copper pickaxe cannot mine throught obsidian.

it is also practically next to an spider nest. havent opened it yet because i need to make space for the stylist house and i have already got short of building space (unless i add more stories to the current houses).

one option is to spend the two crystal hearts i found  recently and try to fight the EoC with the current equipment, which should prove to be a bad idea right now) this way i could get the dryad and cleanse the corruption at the east.

the other would be to try my luck and explore the rest of the map to the west so i reach the ocean and get the angler. build his house and slowly get the fishing gear for fishing a reaver shark, so i can finish the hellevator.

both alternatives may require me to get high tier ore armor. so the real stuff will be to get more silver/gold from the caverns.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11707 on: July 06, 2015, 03:38:33 am »

Heh. If you don't know what you want to do with your NPC dwelling/house, just go with the land. Either hollow out a mountain/hill, or dig down a bit and find a fairly hole-y cave system. Maybe mix that with a staunch refusal to have any strictly rectangular rooms.* It's a pretty easy way to make neat looking/entirely-too-complicated-to-navigate domiciles. Then you just randomly clutter it up with whatever furniture and whatnot you end up pulling out of chests or whatev'. S'what I do when I'm not just making boxes, anyway :V

*An easy way to do this if you're hollowing out stuff underground, is just turn on smart-select or whatever it is, start mining, and then close your eyes and run around moving your mouse randomly for a bit. Make due with whatever affront to sensible architecture pops out :P
This is basically what I did with my old pre-graphics-update world. Found a nicely sized hill with some natural tunnels and hollowed the whole thing out except for some decent NPC homes. Oh, I did a lot of building in there as well, especially the storage room, but from the outside it looked just like a natural mountain. I eventually replaced the entire exterior with dungeon brick before I activated hard mode so that clowns wouldn't be able to wreck it.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #11708 on: July 06, 2015, 06:10:26 am »

The best housing project I had was when I've made a castle once, back in pre-1.2 even. It was a nice little playce, with a throne room, armor corridor, lodgings for all the NPCs, garden and I even had a brewery! And a glowing mushroom farm down bellow. Was kinda getting wrecked by wyverns later in the game though.

I also made a rock-in-the-sky thingie with long, snake-y, iirc one-way corridor on a server one of you guys made. Was fun. Wired doors and torches so one set light up when you opened a door and other went off.

For this version I think I'll make a floating spaceship because I'm a gorram God-Emperor of Terra. Buuuut I probably won't try to recreate the hundreds of meters long WH40K ships. Also, not using that mod that gives you bolters and stuff. Thinking about it, you could totally give Terraria a complete WH40K re-vamp - turn goblin invasion into an orc Waaaaaaaagh!, corruption is corruption, some bosses become monsters or demons, hardmode Tyranid invasion... That'd be cool, yeah.

What sort of low-tier armor would be best for a ranger-in-the-making? Any set bonuses that would come in handy?

A question: are you interested in "ranged" as a type of damage, or a nature of attack? If it is the later I don't remember anyone mentioning it but space armor + space gun is pretty damn awesome. You do magic damage though, but it is a gun instead of a wand or something, so if that scratches you rp spot...

I'll admit, I haven't actually fought them yet with a character that can't just step on them, but do remember that their biggest trick is fairly easy to avoid, if you're paying attention.
Huh, never figured that one out. I've had the same problem of being petrified when it's somewhere bellow or away from me, making it difficult to use that trick. I DID figure out something else though:
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11709 on: July 06, 2015, 12:07:42 pm »

the equipment served me enough for traversing the jungle, the left side of the map is completelly devoid of any corruption and spans two deserts, the jungle, normal surface and the ocean. found the angler and im currently farming palm trees on the town for making his house (over the pond).

will take a photo when its finished. no spelunking for now. also increased max life to 200. so attacks from the EoC are expected.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11710 on: July 06, 2015, 12:13:39 pm »

Any server i can join with my pre 1.3 end game toon?
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11711 on: July 06, 2015, 02:06:07 pm »

palm trees take quite the time to grow, and discovered i cant put doors without a solid floor so i cant use the platforms as it. this means more palm wood to harvest.

crafted a sawmill, then a loom, then made a bed and the white string. once i finish the angler's house i will use it to move the nurse onto the main house and the guide to the home used for the nurse right now.

no sights of the EoC yet. tried to explore the other side of the map, there's at least 3 separate nodes of corruption at the east. one of them seems to be dangerously close to the ocean, couldnt make it, too much EoS molesting in the way. fighting skeletron will be a challenge since the Dungeon is located between two of those nodes. i may need to make an arena for fighting him.

found some silver ore in the caverns, but its not enough for a full set, let alone the current gold i have. need to find more.

EDIT: i was an idiot, i had the materials for the grappling hook right there and had mistaken the amount needed to craft it. got one ASAP.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 02:35:49 pm by xaritscin »

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11712 on: July 06, 2015, 03:14:01 pm »

Minecarts?
Black lives matter.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11713 on: July 06, 2015, 03:38:22 pm »

Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11714 on: July 06, 2015, 03:53:11 pm »

I know what they are. I was wondering how they could possibly assist in killing a nigh-invincible superboss who floats. :P
Black lives matter.
Pages: 1 ... 779 780 [781] 782 783 ... 887