Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 744 745 [746] 747 748 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1308121 times)

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.2 now out!
« Reply #11175 on: February 20, 2014, 11:23:36 am »

This is completely unrelated to spider talk, but personally, I don't like the direction the game has been taking recently. Like others have said, looks like their approach to balancing things is to just make everything equally bad. All these nerfs to seemingly random stuff don't really rub me the right way. What's up with mana potions decreasing damage? As mentioned before, hunter and spelunker potions, too?

Then again, that's probably just my "bah you kids i was here when the game released" mentality*. I've seen too many ultimate armors become just another step on the ladder. Remember when Meteor armor was good? Now, remember when Molten armor was the best? Okay, remember when Hallowed armor was the best? And finally, remember when Turtle armor was seemingly the best? Feels like more and more stuff is just getting piled on top of the top tiers. I'm not a big fan of that approach.

(Now that I've said all this somebody's probably going to shoot me down in 50 ways because that's what happens here.)

* Of course, I realize other people have been on the Terraria wagon for longer than I have.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11176 on: February 20, 2014, 11:28:25 am »

I understand where you're coming from, but my Mystic Space Gun and Meteor Armor, with a side of Bee Gun, got me through all the bosses so far, including the WoF. It has admittedly been less effective in Hardmode, but that's to be expected.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11177 on: February 20, 2014, 11:43:12 am »

Honestly the game really lost its shine about the time content moved to "invasions". Now there's uh... swarm of X-themed enemies attack you for Y time events in a half-dozen flavors, none of which are significantly different from the original goblin invasion.

Insert a reskinned skeletron boss that shoots through walls wherever applicable.

The "best" armor thing is a no-win scenario, though. If you never add content, people lose interest. If you add content and make new stuff sidegrades, no one cares and it's "lazy." If you make new content that leaves the old stuff behind, it's tedium. Personally I liked the mage/shroomite/turtle specialization in its previous form, even if shroomite needed a buff. Now parts have been nerfed in the name of "balance" in multiplayer, with yet another game punishing me for playing solo. I'd virtually guarantee you the mana potion shit was done in the name of PVP.

I'm curious now as to exactly when the design philosophy changed and how much it has devolved from the mission statement re-logic had when Tiy was working there. But the world will never know, and the sycophantic, insular fanbase will kiss Red's ass no matter what he does, so I don't see the game getting that much better from here on out.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11178 on: February 20, 2014, 12:36:55 pm »

snip
Good points all around. Yeah, not adding stuff would look bad, too. I also liked the three specialization chlorophyte armors, but they're getting weakened again as you said.

About invasions, now that you mention it, I don't really like that either. Pirates were okay IMO, Frost Legion was good when it first came out, but I'm not into the holiday ones.

And looking back at the changelog, "Chlorophyte is slightly more rare and grows slower"? Wonder why that is. Probably just to make us grind our faces off even harder.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #11179 on: February 20, 2014, 01:14:04 pm »

Yeah, Terraria seems to have this  strange obsession with making as much grind as possible.

Which doesn't even make sense from a monetary standpoint. It's neither a subscription MMO nor a thing with microtransactions. :P

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11180 on: February 20, 2014, 01:19:32 pm »

It's neither a subscription MMO nor a thing with microtransactions. :P
don't give redigit ideas

:P
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11181 on: February 21, 2014, 12:51:22 am »

Any Bay12 servers up? I'd like to try multiplayer.

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11182 on: February 21, 2014, 01:04:51 pm »

Yeah, Terraria seems to have this  strange obsession with making as much grind as possible.

Which doesn't even make sense from a monetary standpoint. It's neither a subscription MMO nor a thing with microtransactions. :P

I mostly play it to get my grind hotfix, what you talking about  8) It's much better fix than, say, WoW. I actually insist on Terraria getting new and newer content, so I can back and grind some more.
And I was very happy when that kind of oldcshool games started to pop recently. I passionately hate 3d graphics since forever. I even greatly enjoyed MoM Legacy despite its being not a very good game. Old is good, IMO. Any step towards 'realism' is blapshemy towards videogaming.
In Soviet Russia cigarette smokes you

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11183 on: February 22, 2014, 05:30:43 pm »

Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11184 on: February 22, 2014, 05:33:39 pm »

Any Bay12 servers up? I'd like to try multiplayer.
Yes, but someone other than me has the IP and Password.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11185 on: February 22, 2014, 06:11:11 pm »

The healing hood reduces magic damage by 40%. I haven't had the opportunity to look at the damage hood yet but I don't think splitting them was a good balance idea.

Then again I barely think anything is a good balance idea.

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11186 on: February 24, 2014, 08:36:05 am »

This game is hating me, apparently. After so much time invested in grinding Vampire Knives and Ankh and some other shit, I got all top weapon drops from Pumpking/Ice Queen in like hour ingame session, first tries. Oh, Game, you trolling me so much, WHAT to do now?  :-[

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11187 on: February 24, 2014, 08:55:11 am »

Accidentally toss your most valuable possessions into magma and keep playing?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11188 on: February 25, 2014, 04:10:13 pm »

Accidentally toss your most valuable possessions into magma and keep playing?

I already vendored 4 blizzard staffs. This shit is gamebreaking, like killing pumking in couple of seconds. I feel too spoiled to try it again with under stuff, and I hate house rules. And worse, Starbound is not fixing anything, despite my high hopes, seriously, this game feels like a miner simulator and Rogue Legacy is just too good for my old fart reflexes. Kinda time to curse and bitching and having a hopes for something new.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11189 on: February 25, 2014, 04:18:20 pm »

Starbound is still early access, give it some time.
Pages: 1 ... 744 745 [746] 747 748 ... 887