Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 711 712 [713] 714 715 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1308696 times)

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.2 now out!
« Reply #10680 on: October 14, 2013, 09:32:09 am »

Kill Plantera after activating hard-mode

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #10681 on: October 14, 2013, 10:08:01 am »

Man, I went out of my way to plumb the depths of an easy mode jungle, just to see what a jungle temple looks like, and I find one and it's locked behind a door?

Man, what key is this even. How do I get in here?
Beware the Temple denizens!

You seriously don't want to get in there for a new character. Really. If you can't handle Plantera, then you can't handle the temple.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10682 on: October 14, 2013, 10:34:38 am »

The denizens aren't even really the hard part, you can take them all out by just clinging to the ceiling.  It's the traps you gotta watch out for.

But yeah, the temple is late-hardmode only.  You only get the key from killing a very powerful boss who only shows up after killing one of the other hardmode bosses (the mechanical dudes).

...or, you farm chaos elementals until you get the rod of discord to drop, and just teleport yourself into the temple.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10683 on: October 14, 2013, 10:40:35 am »

The wiki says you can put teleporters inside and simply bypass the door if the ground is flat enough.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10684 on: October 14, 2013, 10:43:01 am »

The wiki says you can put teleporters inside and simply bypass the door if the ground is flat enough.

Which is what I did, because Plantera bulbs are quite rare and I didn't want to deface my world searching for them, strangely enough.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10685 on: October 14, 2013, 10:44:28 am »

Which is what I did, because Plantera bulbs are quite rare and I didn't want to deface my world searching for them, strangely enough.

.... Huh? They're just glowy pink flowers you have to mine to destroy. You don't have to destroy anything to get to them?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10686 on: October 14, 2013, 10:54:31 am »

He couldn't find his at all, and thus the only option would have been to tear apart half the jungle to find it in some tiny area off screen.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10687 on: October 14, 2013, 11:11:46 am »

Yep. Right now, I'm thinking of farming for rods of discord just to get there.

PS: Shadowbeam staff gets a nerf, but discord does not get a large mana cost penalty when it could be made a viable boss-dodging support? :O
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10688 on: October 14, 2013, 11:18:56 am »

I'm trying to create "shrines" underground for farming souls of light/night: a chunk of of pearl/ebonstone (~50 blocks, not in the same place and in otherwise pure caves) unattached to anything so it doesn't spread further, with 49 meteorite blocks around it so I can just place one more block to get meteor heads to spawn.

The pearlstone shrine worked fine, changes the biome (water changes colour). But when I duplicated it elsewhere with ebonstone, I don't get a change in biome/spawn/water colour so things aren't dropping souls of night. Any recommendations? Maybe I need to put it deeper? Does ebonstone not count as corruption?

When I created the hallow shrine, most of the blocks I placed were just stone that I converted with holy water. The "altar" is large enough that the biome changed before all of it was converted. The corruption shrine, I placed ebonstone directly, but even after placing the entire altar the biome still did not change. Afterwards I tried the same thing as hallow, placed stone and used unholy water, but still no change in biome. I had one eater of souls spawn while I was moving around the cave but no biome change, even momentary, and all other spawns have been regular cave enemies.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 11:23:01 am by Niveras »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10689 on: October 14, 2013, 11:46:40 am »

According to the wiki, you need a whole 200 blocks in order for an artificial corruption biome to be created.  Not entirely sure why hallow takes so much less.

Also, I thought eaters of souls didn't spawn that far down...  Either you're placing it too far up and won't get souls dropped, or they've changed something.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10690 on: October 14, 2013, 12:28:26 pm »

The problem was creating the biome, not trying to spawn the right enemy (as you may have noticed, the whole plan was to get meteor heads to drop the souls, not necessarily biome-specific enemies). The EoS was just a weird outlier since I wouldn't have expected it to spawn when it wasn't yet a corrupt biome. (Also, it may have been a corruptor, I don't remember, just that it was a flying thing from corruption.)

According to the wiki, you need a whole 200 blocks in order for an artificial corruption biome to be created.  Not entirely sure why hallow takes so much less.

Thanks, I'll try expanding the altar.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 12:30:05 pm by Niveras »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10691 on: October 14, 2013, 12:41:42 pm »

If you drag him over to the hallow, he'll run away and despawn.  I have a world where the hallow stripe from hardmode painted the better part of some natural corruption caverns, complete with shadow orbs.  I smashed three while in the mostly corrupt side, then grappled over the the hallowed side and he pissed off before I could make mincemeat of him.

But yeah, every segment-kill counts as a potential soul drop.  Quite nice, although I do tend to feel a little bad about punishing the poor guy like that...

Yeah, corruptor makes more sense.  I know those guys spawn in the underground corruption.  Man, y'know...  They're really not that scary now that they don't spread corruption.

Also, does anybody know what exactly that cave grass stuff is?  Y'know, the kinda moss that grows on some stone bits underground?  I've seen different colors and whatnot, and I know it spreads like grass to other adjacent stone tiles, but I can't find any reference to it on the wiki and I don't really know what it's "officially" supposed to be called.  I just know that I quite like it, and try to help it spread whenever I can...

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10692 on: October 14, 2013, 12:43:39 pm »

The moss type stuff is called moss I believe.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #10693 on: October 14, 2013, 12:44:31 pm »

Or Lichen

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #10694 on: October 14, 2013, 01:29:13 pm »

I find the moss stuff to be a nice detail, bringing more of a sense of life to the caves. Shame it doesn't do anything.... or does it?

Anyway, early Hardmode is going swell. Got a corrupt key (Yes, I know I am very lucky.), looted the corrupt chest from the dungeon (Hadn't killed any bosses yet, so dungeon wasn't scary yet.), beat the crap out of the Destroyer, built Megashark, got Steampunker, and built my first teleporter loop. (From Steampunker's room to just below boss arena.)

That's about it so far.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.
Pages: 1 ... 711 712 [713] 714 715 ... 887