Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 668 669 [670] 671 672 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1309207 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.2 now out!
« Reply #10035 on: October 05, 2013, 09:33:53 pm »

On the other hand, mushrooms will grow on the surface naturally, so you can spread mud and then a few seeds.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10036 on: October 05, 2013, 09:36:09 pm »

Ha, yes. That just takes a fairly significant amount of time and effort :P

... especially once you start succeeding and the ladybugs start spawning while you're spreading the biome further >_>
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10037 on: October 05, 2013, 09:41:57 pm »

That's why you lay out the mud BEFORE you start planting seeds - hopefully as you build in the mandatory lava pumps that allow you to purge the zone as needed.

I like to build these areas as ant farms, with the ability to purge or reshape them if an emergency arises.  Pumps, Dart Traps, and Explosives are involved.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
Terraria 1.2: Tales of Metallurgy from one who lags behind.
« Reply #10038 on: October 05, 2013, 09:43:11 pm »

I am... behind everyone else, but that that doesn't bother me. (Still pre-hardmode.)

Anyway, while in the jungle I found a machine in a chest that converts silt and slush into a random pre-hardmode/non-demonite metal. Seeing as how I can't get copper, iron, silver, or gold naturally in this world, I like it.

Also, what is the teal moss-lichen stuff commonly found underground? Grows only on stone, can have small vines. What is it?
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

HissinhWalnuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a deep dislike of the natural world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10039 on: October 05, 2013, 09:55:29 pm »

The mushroom pet is the only useful pet(I think) as it makes light wherever it runs and can make a good a caving buddy.(If you don't have a fairy bell)
Crack-a-lack-a

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10040 on: October 05, 2013, 10:00:18 pm »

Fairy bell, shadow orb, wisp in a bottle, or weapons/armor that generate light (not sure if the mythril armor bug still lets you SHINE LIKE A DIAMOND)...  There are of course other useful critters you can summon, but whether or not you want to classify them as "pets" is a different matter.

Also, some of the pets are just too damned adorable to leave alone.

As far as mushroom biomes go, mushroom grass (in my experience) grows incredibly slowly...  What I did when setting up our skybox mushroom farm was lay down the mudwork, plant jungle seeds, and the biomify it into mushrooms.  Jungle seeds are plentiful and the grass grows VERY quickly, so it's much faster to let that spread out and then hose it down instead of waiting for the shroomgrass to grow properly.

But yeah, I can sympathize with wanting more shroom biomes.  I've got an idea to gen a new world and hose down the entirety of the underground jungle and make it into a gigantic mushroom biome, and then go fungus huntin'...

HissinhWalnuts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10041 on: October 05, 2013, 10:14:55 pm »

Spectre armor works like a boss!
Crack-a-lack-a

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10042 on: October 05, 2013, 10:28:22 pm »

Yeah... it's pretty definitively the go-to ridiculous armor for most things. Especially if you've got multiple people running around with it. It's definitely something when a pair of folks can just sit themselves inside plantera and take basically no damage. The HP goes down, the HP goes up, ayyiyiyi.

There's a few tricks the other armors can pull (tiki and turtle especially, methinks), but spectre's probably the "best" right now, at least for general use.

In other news, the crimson equivalent to crystal storm is just... it's definitely a thing. It's disturbingly effective for what it is, too. Especially if you're tiki-spec'd, since the debuff it inflicts reduces enemy defense.

Apropos to nothing, the way the pygmies surf around on their spears is entirely too adorable.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 10:29:55 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

HissinhWalnuts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10043 on: October 05, 2013, 10:38:38 pm »

Magnet sphere, Shadow Beam, and Inferno Fork are my arsenal for any enemy. Magnet sphere is good for extreme swarms, Shadow is good for works/Small groups, and inferno fork is for using specter armors leech life.
Crack-a-lack-a

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10044 on: October 05, 2013, 10:41:37 pm »

I've been using the piranha gun for swarms, as long as you hold 'fire' it'll seek new enemies, so you can very easily sit atop a wall and watch it shred goblins.  For things like pirates, the rainbow gun owns.  Find any flat surface, fire the gun, and everything in a row dies.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10045 on: October 05, 2013, 10:56:38 pm »

What is the minimum amount of sky islands on a large world? I searched 1/3rd of the sky and found none using gravitation potions, but I hear there's at max 8. Really want to find them.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10046 on: October 05, 2013, 10:58:02 pm »

Yes, the pygmies are just such incredibly adorable little murder machines...  I love them far too much.

Which is a shame, since I've blown all my money on reforges and such and can't afford the tiki armor anymore even when the good doctor IS selling it (multiplayer bug issues).

I've been playing tank/melee for our little server and, as mentioned earlier, we just recently unlocked the Vampire Knives.  And hooooooo....   Lemme tell you, Turtle + Vampire means NOTHING hurts you.  Pretty much the only time I can notice my health going down is when I've decided to stand inside a turtle (which means, funnily enough, that they hit harder than any of the bosses).  I can solo Plantera by just standing inside her and holding down the mouse button.  My health never drops.

Magic has the Spectre armor, melee has the Vampire Knives...  And ranged got left out of the bloodsucking deal.  In fact, ranged really doesn't seem to have gotten much love this update, seeing as the upgrades past the megashark are either unimplemented (SDMG), poorly implemented (Viper Magnum), or bugged (Uzi and its droprate, also the sniper rifle before the fix).  Plus there's that whole "stand still to fight properly" element involved with their top armor (although I will admit, it is quite fun to go stealth and hide places).

I think that they could at least have had more than just the Piranha Gun be considered a ranged weapon as far as biome rewards are concerned...  I mean, the corruption reward seems a perfect opportunity to slap the range tag on something.  Melee already had so many awesome endgame weapons to pick from, and magic has basically just dominated this update.

HissinhWalnuts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10047 on: October 05, 2013, 11:03:25 pm »

I thought magic didn't have enough variety till this update... now its perfecto!
Crack-a-lack-a

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10048 on: October 05, 2013, 11:05:29 pm »

So the Piranha gun's big feature, the lock-on-till-death-or-release? Doesn't work in PvP. Yeah.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10049 on: October 05, 2013, 11:11:50 pm »

Well, ranged does have nice new toys... tac shotgun hurts like the buggery, and the rocket launcher can do some work. Especially with higher mark rockets, methinks, though I've only messed with the mark 1s so far. Still, shroomite non-rocket hat and it was hitting about as hard as the initial inferno fork shot, if not the lingering bit, which isn't bad at all.

Either of the high velo weapons (magnum, sniper rifle) can be kinda' fun, too. Stick high velocity bullets into 'em and giggle at the hitscan~ Damage is definitely comparatively (to magic, melee, tac shotgun) crap, though. Even 500+ damage crits on stealthed sniper shots is puny compared to the combined damage of a fork fireball (two shot wyverns, yes yes.).

I'm definitely digging all the extra ammo types. They can be fairly interesting. S'all pretty much suboptimal compared to the higher tier magic and melee stuff, but... it's still pretty sexy.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 668 669 [670] 671 672 ... 887