Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Cave-In Gun -- A New Design?  (Read 1797 times)

Vodrilus

• Bay Watcher
  • Has been forced to endure NaNoWriMo failure.
    • View Profile
The Cave-In Gun -- A New Design?
« on: May 16, 2011, 06:22:54 am »

Hi!

During a sleepless night I started thinking about cave-ins and I was struck by a thought. I'm not sure if this has been posted, since the search function doesn't seem to like my "cave-in" queries.

Code: [Select]
___
 #~X
##-##
#   #
D~~~X
#---#
# wall
_ floor
~ liquid
- bridge
D door
X floodgate

The basic idea is to drop magma onto water that is supported by a bridge. It is important to leave an empty space between the magma level and the water level to avoid sticky situations. I presume the bridge is deconstructed as soon as obsidian is formed on top of it? If so, the contraption should drop a nice chunk of obsidian (never mind the wonderful waterfall that will follow) on top of the witless goblins. The bridge would have to be reconstructed, but I personally consider that a minor inconvenience. If the design functions at all, it may be scaled up to a square of 18x18. Larger designs would be possible with other topological solutions.

Please, I urge you to test this! (Or point to a thread...)
Going backwards in reversed time (just like everybody else).

Carpman

• Bay Watcher
  • need not work.
    • View Profile
Re: The Cave-In Gun -- A New Design?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 07:48:20 am »

I'm not sure if bridges deconstruct when obsidian forms on top of them, but you should try this idea yourself! No point in letting someone else have all the fun for your idea now is it?  ;)

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 07:50:21 am »

they shouldnt, otherwise the magma piston wouldnt work. unless their not magma proof in wich case theyll melt ^^
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 08:13:48 am »

A magma piston never places the bridge directly upon obsidian casting.  It uses bridges or hatches located around the piston's edge, but the piston itself is all natural stone.

I'm not sure if I would call this a cave-in gun, as it seems a tad odd and perhaps a tad unworkable.  The best method I've observed, was to dig a trench.  This is your ammo chamber.  At the middle of the trench, dig a tunnel down.  This is your barrel.  At the top of this tunnel, dig the tiles to either side, and place floodgates.  This is your flintlock.  Now, flood one side with magma and the other with water.  They should meet in the center, and cast obsidian.  Because the only adjacent tiles are floodgates that will not support a wall, then the obsidian will immediately fall, leaving a vacuum and thus more obsidian will be cast.  This turns it into a rapid-fire obsidian launcher which must practically be designed to launch into SMR, otherwise the barrel would quickly become jammed with back-up.  However, if the entrance to your fort is via the barrel of a rapid fire obsidian cannon, HFS can be very quickly and permanently struck down in large, reliable numbers.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 08:15:09 am »

You can make an interesting variation by having the water level be the path which invaders take (it has to be carefully measured to be 2-3 units deep), and the magma drop destroys the bridges on which they are all walking.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 08:21:16 am »

A magma piston never places the bridge directly upon obsidian casting.  It uses bridges or hatches located around the piston's edge, but the piston itself is all natural stone.

I'm not sure if I would call this a cave-in gun, as it seems a tad odd and perhaps a tad unworkable.  The best method I've observed, was to dig a trench.  This is your ammo chamber.  At the middle of the trench, dig a tunnel down.  This is your barrel.  At the top of this tunnel, dig the tiles to either side, and place floodgates.  This is your flintlock.  Now, flood one side with magma and the other with water.  They should meet in the center, and cast obsidian.  Because the only adjacent tiles are floodgates that will not support a wall, then the obsidian will immediately fall, leaving a vacuum and thus more obsidian will be cast.  This turns it into a rapid-fire obsidian launcher which must practically be designed to launch into SMR, otherwise the barrel would quickly become jammed with back-up.  However, if the entrance to your fort is via the barrel of a rapid fire obsidian cannon, HFS can be very quickly and permanently struck down in large, reliable numbers.

Water or magma supply can be made limited with airlock systems, then the cannon will only make bursts of several shots, depending on the volume of airlock system. That would make it feasible to use it in the open field

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 08:27:17 am »

I was going to say "A normal cave-in dropper will suffice, we never have sieges big enough to require reloading."  But then I remembered that Toady threatened us with hundreds of undead shambling siegers.  Or maybe Threetoe made that quote.  Either way, we are very likely rapidly approaching the status where we need large scale weapons of mass destruction.  Ladies and gentledwarves (not that anyone could tell the difference) prepare your Boiling Magma, because regular Magma just isn't going to work anymore.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 09:38:44 am »

Ladies and gentledwarves, prepare your Boiling Magma, because regular Magma just isn't going to work anymore.

If you discover a way to boil magma, I will sacrifice a thousand kittens in your name.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 10:15:07 am »

Prepare the kittens!

Well, half of them, it's only sorta true.  Soil exists in three states, solid "soil", liquid "magma", and gaseous "boiling magma".  You can check it in the raws, this is how stone and soil are defined.  The only time that Boiling Magma will occur, is during a cave-in, as cave-in dust is considered a gas instead of 9,001 particles.  Thus, you will often see combat reports like "Urist McStupidMiner is caught in a cloud of boiling magma!"  In this context, it very much applies.  Cave-ins will cause massive AOE damage to undead hordes.  We shall cast the undead across from our forts in plumes of boiling magma!  The fall of molten rock crashing into the earth shall be our battle cry!

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 10:23:06 am »

Well, boiling magma gas is good enough for a few dozen kittens, at least.  :D
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 10:36:46 am »

Possibly, if the lower and upper bridges are deactivated simultaneously, then the dropped portion could form and drop without damaging the lower bridge.

Then it would be a simple matter to close both of them, refill the barrels, and open them again.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 10:41:42 am »

What it all comes down to, though, is that you need to mix magma and water away from any support.  This can be done with the sheer size of the casting area, or done by precision of casting.

The main question remains, is a bridge destroyed when obsidian is created on it, and is it destroyed when obsidian caves-in through it while the bridge is retracted?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 11:35:31 am »

What it all comes down to, though, is that you need to mix magma and water away from any support.  This can be done with the sheer size of the casting area, or done by precision of casting.

The main question remains, is a bridge destroyed when obsidian is created on it, and is it destroyed when obsidian caves-in through it while the bridge is retracted?

Agreed. I will fund an expedition of seven stout dwarves and 1500 crowns of supplies to see this experiment out. I appoint you experimental fortress overseer.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 11:37:51 am »

*dons her science hat* May math weep and physics cower at the monstrosity to be.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 02:41:37 pm »

I... I think I have something in my eye. Marry me? :)
Pages: [1] 2