Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dwarfs still don't like crutches.  (Read 2925 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfs still don't like crutches.
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 10:27:01 am »

That would be a crazy wheelchair.  A short stool with some clockwork machinery under it and a few wheels.  No back, no armrests, no leg stirrups, just a little motorized stool.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011, 10:47:25 am »

A wheelchair like Mad Hamish's. But then made in Steel, Slate and Ruby. :P
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2011, 12:50:09 pm »

A wheelchair like Mad Hamish's. But then made in Steel, Slade and the Ruby red blood of our enemies. :P
Fixed for you.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2011, 01:41:15 pm »

Wheelchairs would be an anachronism, sadly.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2011, 02:51:18 pm »

Just a chair with wheels attached to the legs would do the trick. Especially if that means other dwarves can push the crippled down stairs.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

SenorOcho

• Bay Watcher
  • Strategy Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2011, 03:19:58 pm »

Wheelchairs would be an anachronism, sadly.

Wheelchairs had existed in China for a very long time, and why not? It's a chair. With wheels.  They just didn't bother in Europe until the Renaissance.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2011, 03:58:24 pm »

I have one Dwarf with spine injury too, and I feel sorry for him, when he slowly crawls between mined stone, and garbage dump.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2011, 04:01:04 pm »

Back to the original topic (kinda), I've been seeing lately that I have plenty of crutches/splints, but they don't ever seem to find their way into my hospital. I check the hospital and it says I have 0/5. But I know I have plenty of them in my fort, and they're not forbidden. I have to be careful not to trade them away because they're in my finished goods bins with all my mugs and goblin clothing that I'm dumping on the caravans. Of course, if they're not going to get used because they never end up in the hospital, I guess I might as well trade them away. :-/

Anyone else seen this behavior?

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2011, 04:10:23 pm »

Do you have any free containers, chests or bags present in your hospital?
If all the ones there are full of cloth, thread and so on dorfs apparently stop supplying the hospital despite there being demand for something. And with that I mean your 0/5 crutches thing.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2011, 04:46:44 pm »

How would a dwarf with a wheelchair get up stairs?  Through sheer, crippled dwarven might?
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2011, 04:48:36 pm »

How would a dwarf with a wheelchair get up stairs?  Through sheer, crippled dwarven might?
Well, seeing how legless dwarves manage to drag themselves up stairs, while carrying FB carcasses, out of sheer, crippled dwarven might...
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2011, 04:58:55 pm »

My best military dwarf seems to use his crutch just fine. He can even use it in the same hand as his masterwork shield. He moves more slowly (still only a competent crutch walker), but dodges just fine and has beat a titan since his injury (and was the only melee dwarf to make it out of the fight uninjured and conscious).
Soaplent green is goblins!

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2011, 11:23:44 pm »

That would be a crazy wheelchair.  A short stool with some clockwork machinery under it and a few wheels.  No back, no armrests, no leg stirrups, just a little motorized stool.
They see me rollin'...
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2011, 11:47:13 pm »

The_Final_Stand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2011, 10:24:19 am »

I have come to a conclusion.

For those of you familiar with W40K : Dwarf Dreadnaught.

For the others: Dwarfs who have served the mountainhomes admirably, but have suffered grevious injuries that not even adamantine sutures can fully repair (read, the dwarf is alive but crippled) may be bourne from the battlefield with honour and entombed within a Dwarfnaught. This great work of dwarven construction will enhance a dwarf's strength many times, allow him to hold vast weapons, and make him nigh impervious to harm. Sadly, such things are difficult to maintain, and if a dwarf is not yet wounded enough for Dwarfnaughtification to be a reasonable alternative then they will likely go mad. And such a being is currently within a vast murder machine. Fun Ensues.
Pages: 1 [2] 3