Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dwarfs still don't like crutches.  (Read 2934 times)

The_Final_Stand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarfs still don't like crutches.
« on: May 16, 2011, 06:02:16 am »

Specifically, dwarfs that have been wounded in the lower spine, and therefore cannot walk, refuse to use crutches, despite the fact that they are not labelled as being unable to grasp stuff. :(

On a completely unrelated note, guess what the proportion of inability to walk due to spinal injury to inability to walk due to non spinal injury is in my fort.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfs still don't like crutches.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 06:05:36 am »

Are crutches still effective if both legs are unusable? I didn't think they were...

Conclusion: We need dwarven wheelchairs.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 06:29:21 am »

Are crutches still effective if both legs are unusable? I didn't think they were...

Nope. At least, one of my dwarves has a lower spine injury, I don't know if that counts; she still... err... drags herself around. Didn't receive any crutch at the hospital; probably couldn't use them anyway. She still has both legs, but they're limp, and she moves around muuuuch more slowly than the average drunken midget. So, yeah. Wheelchairs, please.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 07:15:52 am »

I've got a one legged miner who just made it into the fort as the only survivor of a 29 migrant wave.. he's a legendary +5 crutch walker, and is out there day in and day out smashing stone with the best of them.

Crutches should work if they have both legs out, but they should be unable to do certain labours. Maybe limit them to workshops, and noble work, like bookkeeping and stuff.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 07:48:41 am »

Wheelchairs? that's for limpy humans!

what dwarves really need is double wielded crutch-axes for your veterans! injured but still invincible!

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 08:30:36 am »

They just hold their weapon and shield in their other hand. Never had one missing both an arm and a leg though, I figured they'd be fairly 'armless then...

I've got a legendary axedwarf who is a legendary crutch walker and has grown attached to his crutch, but he's been a civilian since his injury though, making components for my pump stack.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 08:37:40 am »

Crutches work; in this version I've had two/three people who could keep working after having gotten a crutch. The latest one had lost their foot to a grizzly bear but could work again with the crutch. Until that one Goblin, that is.  >:(
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 08:40:17 am »

i've noticed that one of my crutch walkers tried to beat an FB which ambushed him in the caverns with his -tower-cap crutch-. Does anyone have info on how good are gold or platinum crutches in combat and what is the skill used for fighting with crutches?

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 08:54:01 am »

Hmm, gold crutches menacing with spikes of ruby should do massive damage. :P
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

SenorOcho

• Bay Watcher
  • Strategy Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 09:01:09 am »

For spinal injury dwarves, your best bet is to just assign them to a single task that puts them in the workshop 99% of the time, like Strand Extraction, Furnace Operating, etc.
This does not excuse them from Crossbow Militia duty, though.

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 09:31:19 am »

i've noticed that one of my crutch walkers tried to beat an FB which ambushed him in the caverns with his -tower-cap crutch-. Does anyone have info on how good are gold or platinum crutches in combat and what is the skill used for fighting with crutches?
Probably misc. object user.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 10:09:17 am »

It would be Misc Object User, yes.  And platinum would work better, it's the heaviest vanilla material that can be crafted with.

Science must be done in the arena, to make special syndromes that only effect the leg, take an arena-dweller adventure style, and bash things with crutches.  What material works best, could a crutch slice if given enough edge?

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 10:12:00 am »

It would be Misc Object User, yes.  And platinum would work better, it's the heaviest vanilla material that can be crafted with.

Science must be done in the arena, to make special syndromes that only effect the leg, take an arena-dweller adventure style, and bash things with crutches.  What material works best, could a crutch slice if given enough edge?

i tried and looks like you can't crate crutches is arena mode. I'll try to extract their stats from raws and make a similar weapon

edit: there's not a single word about crutches in the raws either.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 10:15:08 am by nanomage »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 10:23:55 am »

No, there isn't, along with buckets, splints, barrels, etc, they're a unique hardcoded item.  But!  You can make them into an [ITEM_CORPSE].  Spawn an aquatic creature in the arena, and when it airdrowns it will drop a crutch instead of a corpse.  This is the preferred method of unusual item generation in arena mode.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 10:24:42 am »

This could be doable. We have chairs and mechanisms. All Toady would have to do is add in wheels.  I say suggest it.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.
Pages: [1] 2 3