Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Advised Population cap limit.  (Read 4280 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Advised Population cap limit.
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 05:55:39 pm »

Embark size and flowing liquids, including pumps, are far the most important factors in FPS. After that is temperature. Assuming you have wide corridors population seems to have a relatively small FPS impact.

For my forts I use a popcap of 100, and then rely on bearded babies to increase the population beyond that. Its not uncommon to have a fortress of 250+. I do enjoy my long term forts.

aaOzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011, 06:15:04 pm »

I got a 300 pop cap, but never gotten that many yet. My first fort was a 5x5 embark, and I made only small (2 width) corridors. Next fort I used a 4x4 embark and a minimum of 3 witdh main corridors. FPS on my last fort is better.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2011, 12:17:32 am »

I just mark almost every animal for butcher, that keeps it flowing. The few cats, pigs, goats and llamas that can be used for shearing, milking, etc, is good enough for me.
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2011, 02:33:48 am »

I just mark almost every animal for butcher, that keeps it flowing. The few cats, pigs, goats and llamas that can be used for shearing, milking, etc, is good enough for me.

What? Maybe I'm just high but that almost seemed random. I had to reread the thread just to see if anyone had mentioned anything else about butchering animals.
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2011, 10:05:09 pm »

They didn't, but the only reason you wouldn't have a population cap of 10000000 is because of the fps. And we all know butchery solves everyone's problems >:3
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2011, 06:29:05 pm »

You need a population of at least 80 to trigger goblin sieges (without any mods).

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2011, 06:39:05 pm »

I typically use 350.  Im not happy till I have enough steel-clad dwarves to meet seiges on the surface
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2011, 06:56:53 pm »

Im not happy till I have enough steel-clad dwarves to meet seiges on the surface
Isn't that about 5 properly trained dwarves?
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2011, 12:32:03 am »

I like to keep it below 50 to avoid the mayor being elected.

But then you don't get your king to come, and titans won't attack [unless you customize your world.], cause you need 80 minimum for Titan attacks, and 80-100 for a king or something.

Oddly enough, I got a Queen at a pop of around 30 dwarfs. This happened about a season or two after hitting some cotton candy that was close to the surface.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2011, 05:25:58 pm »

That brings the queen/king no matter what, I think.  After which the royalty quickly goes mad due to the squalid conditions.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2011, 05:54:44 pm »

Oddly enough, I got a Queen at a pop of around 30 dwarfs. This happened about a season or two after hitting some cotton candy that was close to the surface.

That is really odd...the spoilerite king was only supposed to happen in 40d and earlier.

That being said, I recommend 30 if you're not using danger rooms; your population WILL increase gradually with births and dwarven children becoming adults so by the time they send sieges you'll not only have the population to support them but also an equipped and trained military.  The bonus, too, is that your created wealth will be much higher so the sieges will generally have more troops.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2011, 06:39:38 pm »

100 seems to be a good number. Plenty of haulers, and some redundancy if you need it.

I used to run with a 20 dorf fortress. Perfect FPS, but not as much fun since I couldn't really have a military. I jumped to 50 after that, and it worked pretty well, but I didn't have any sieges for some reason. So now I run at 100+. Plenty of meatshields soldiers to throw at the goblins and even elves when I'm feeling a little feisty.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2011, 11:41:34 pm »

All it means is how new you are to the game. Every one beginning needs at least to assign pop cap at 5. After first 2 hardcoded waves, will wind up with 20. Among this 20, if you can develop dwarves that can supply food, booze,excavating, furniture/building/ mechanical, trade good, and mood needs, you are set to raise pop cap when you feel you can handle the population increasing. Also being able to equip soldiers helps, but you can trade for these supplies, if resources are scarce. 100 population is a nice choice, for an experienced player. With the kids being born, should have a nice replacement pool for dwarves having too much fun
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2011, 12:01:59 am »

Population impact on fps can be mitigated if they keep more or less still. So, since you can run a very efficient operation with <50 dwarves, I'm guessing that you could draft the rest and have them stand around in training chambers. Furhtermore, if you handle this properly they could be useful cannon fodder during sieges.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2011, 09:18:18 am »

You need a population of at least 80 to trigger goblin sieges (without any mods).
Unmodded and population <80 and just got a siege.  Granted it was a half-assed siege and I have NEARLY 80 but still, not a firm limit.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.
Pages: 1 [2] 3