Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ever get a dwarf that seems destined to be unhappy?  (Read 3283 times)

Chessrook44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ever get a dwarf that seems destined to be unhappy?
« on: May 15, 2011, 06:24:32 pm »

Urist McMacedwarf has been unhappy lately.  He was enraged by long patrol duty.  He was angry about being relieved from duty.

He's part of a 10-dwarf military squad that trains 5 min at a time.  They're on constant training unless they decide to break, I never relieve dwarves unless they're a recruit upset about the draft.  Why does THIS dwarf have to be difficult?!

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: Ever get a dwarf that seems destined to be unhappy?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 06:39:55 pm »

I.. think he just WANT to be in a bad mood?

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 06:43:58 pm »

They only get that (edit: third) thought if they have no civilian skills past dabbling (i.e., they're a peasant when not a soldier).

Solution: appoint the dwarf as manager, give him a chair somewhere, and order 90 jobs on the manager screen--stone blocks, collection jobs, brewing, crafts, whatever.  The dwarf will be done in about a month, and probably be an adequate organizer; novice at worst.  This is fast, reliable, pretty easy and, most importantly, grants a civilian profession ('administrator') with a skill used in military training.  They'll train faster, and you won't have to worry about the skill rusting away from disuse.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 06:47:22 pm by nil »

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 06:46:12 pm »

Urist McMacedwarf has been unhappy lately.  He was enraged by long patrol duty.  He was angry about being relieved from duty.

He's part of a 10-dwarf military squad that trains 5 min at a time.  They're on constant training unless they decide to break, I never relieve dwarves unless they're a recruit upset about the draft.  Why does THIS dwarf have to be difficult?!

My duke is perpetually pissy about lesser's pretentious building arrangements. I mean, REALLY pissy,. He tantrums. I think this is a bug? Because the only other thing wrong is that he occasionally gets caught in a snowstorm working in the outdoor kitchen. Otherwise, he has Royal Rooms, his mandates are always met quickly, and I can't think of anything else that would upset him. No one he knows dies. He has no pets. It's aggravating.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 07:05:20 pm »

Every noble ever
LOSING IS FUN!

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 07:40:55 pm »

My mayor fits into this category. All of my mayors. I ignore mandates, all day, every day.

Unfortunately, it seems things have only gone from bad to worse, as this new mayor keeps demanding items we haven't the slimmest chance of producing. The old mayor, rest her soul, mostly just wanted quivers. Plus, she was a comedian and a legendary miller... :( It's too bad her bedroom was accidentally walled off.
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 02:02:58 am »

My mayor fits into this category. All of my mayors. I ignore mandates, all day, every day.

Unfortunately, it seems things have only gone from bad to worse, as this new mayor keeps demanding items we haven't the slimmest chance of producing. The old mayor, rest her soul, mostly just wanted quivers. Plus, she was a comedian and a legendary miller... :( It's too bad her bedroom was accidentally walled off.
`

The first mayor I got was my grand master (now legendary) weaponsmith. He's still my mayor, and so far only wanted us to make three millstones (which I put in his office) and forbade the export of bucklers twice.

Seeing as we don't have any bucklers, this is fine with me.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 02:31:19 am »

I.. think he just WANT to be in a bad mood?
Uriist McEmo has been sad lately. Urist McEmo has engaged in whining lately.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 02:43:42 am »

One fort I had, there was this guy.
He had a Grudge with at least half the people in the fort, which was over 100 people strong.

Constantly Unhappy, often Very Unhappy and when it hit Miserable and the guy started tantruming, I ordered him to stand guard on top of a building for a few months to cool off.

I think I stopped playing that fort/world at some point though so he never reached critical mass/hilarity. Which is a shame. But seriously, never before or after have I had anyone in any fort who was so against most of the population that every time they went to the dining hall they could not avoid having to talk to "annoying" people.

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 03:06:56 am »

I love my duke so much. Aside from a minor grumble about the militia captains' tombs ("put off by" etc) all he ever does in a ducal capacity is mandate "zinc items 3/3" and I'm sitting on at least two layers full of sphalerite. I just queue up "smelt sphalerite" or "make zinc bin" depending on whether I've got zinc bars in stock or not. Happy Duke!

Re unhappiness, I remember another fort I started, after about five minutes realtime I noticed that they were all flashing unhappy arrows. WTF? So I check and they've all "spoken to someone annoying" lately. The culprit turns out to be this one guy who in the initial few seconds by the wagon had managed to create grudges with all six other founders. What the hell did he do?? I tried to keep going and separate them by giving him jobs on his own but he was pissing everyone off so much that in the end I had to get rid of him, i built him a little hermitage-house with a tiny farm and walled him in all on his own. Everyone started getting happier again then.
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85057.0
This message brought to you by the Soapmaker's Guild of Isakudil.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 03:12:06 am »

One fort I had, there was this guy.
He had a Grudge with at least half the people in the fort, which was over 100 people strong.

Constantly Unhappy, often Very Unhappy and when it hit Miserable and the guy started tantruming, I ordered him to stand guard on top of a building for a few months to cool off.

I think I stopped playing that fort/world at some point though so he never reached critical mass/hilarity. Which is a shame. But seriously, never before or after have I had anyone in any fort who was so against most of the population that every time they went to the dining hall they could not avoid having to talk to "annoying" people.

Looks like he could make the only survivor after a good old-fashioned tantrum spiral, beeing constantly ecstatic from losing all those annoying acquintances to horrible tragedies. He could also make a good CotG!

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 03:14:54 am »

Now I kinda wish I'd kept my grudge-fort for the humorous potential.

Oh man my guy would have loved being Captain of the Guard...
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85057.0
This message brought to you by the Soapmaker's Guild of Isakudil.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 04:27:05 am »

The babies. Until they grow up into independent children, I just know they will not only get cranky because of the lack of booze, but that something will happen to their mother or father or beloved siblings. Or they will find goblin ambushes. Yep.
And then, when they become kids, it's basically the same thing all over again, only with just 50% of them, without the booze-less thing, and adding friends as possible victims.
And when they become adults at 12, either they become terrible mayors, either they hunt stuff and die.
My fortresses are not good places for children.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 04:28:54 am »

Dwarves that don't want to be happy in my fort tend to be drafted and sent naked against forgotten beasts. We have a reputation to uphold.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 05:24:33 am »

My duke is perpetually pissy about lesser's pretentious building arrangements. I mean, REALLY pissy,. He tantrums. I think this is a bug? [...] It's aggravating.

It's not enough to give the guy gold studded, diamond encrusted everything with engraved half-acre rooms, fountain in his study and personal zoo filled with exotic beasts.  Oh no, he has to be THE ONLY ONE with a nice room.  If someone else also happens to have a room with the same or better quality modifier, he will whine like a baby, even if the other dwarf is a legendary smith/axedwarf/founder and actually deserves the room.  Your best option is to regularly refresh the noble quarters with magma.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.
Pages: [1] 2