Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rose gold short sword  (Read 2404 times)

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
Rose gold short sword
« on: May 15, 2011, 02:10:08 pm »

A rose gold short sword, value 108k dwarf bucks.

density of gold. sharpness equivalent to bronze/iron.

so: best of both worlds? slashy as well as blungioning?

and, has anyone else had something simular to show if it realy is the bets of both? or am i being wishfull?
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rose gold short sword
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 02:23:42 pm »

A rose gold short sword, value 108k dwarf bucks.

density of gold. sharpness equivalent to bronze/iron.

and, has anyone else had something simular to show if it realy is the bets of both? or am i being wishfull?
send some poor sap out killing with it and see if they die or not.

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 02:32:51 pm »

All the metals aside from adamantine have a MAX_EDGE of 10,000. The differences between them is due to their other properties. Gold is going be more like silver or copper.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 04:10:02 pm »

Afraid not. While deflected edged hits cause blunt trauma, they're not equivalent to a proper blunt attack with the same values - a test morningstar vs. hammer between well armoured combatants shows this quite clearly. I'd expect this to be a poor weapon.

There's currently no weapon with a nice split between blunt and edged hits because edged hits are 100 times as likely if a weapon has both. If you care about  the functionality of some hits that reliably defeat armour and some that kill more quickly than pure can openers, daggers do the trick. Very fine stabs get through armour easily, the slashing attacks aren't very good but speed things up against soft targets.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 04:38:47 pm »

Use it anyway.  I imagine it looks pretty cool.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 06:12:13 pm »

If you care about  the functionality of some hits that reliably defeat armour and some that kill more quickly than pure can openers, daggers do the trick. Very fine stabs get through armour easily, the slashing attacks aren't very good but speed things up against soft targets.

I just use swords, for this reason really, you get piecing, blunt (pommel strike not too good), and slashing. Makes outfitting the military easier.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 11:26:53 am »

If you care about  the functionality of some hits that reliably defeat armour and some that kill more quickly than pure can openers, daggers do the trick. Very fine stabs get through armour easily, the slashing attacks aren't very good but speed things up against soft targets.

I just use swords, for this reason really, you get piecing, blunt (pommel strike not too good), and slashing. Makes outfitting the military easier.

Pah, swords and spears are for Elves and Humans, Battle-Axes all the way!.  :D

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 02:06:02 pm »

As swords have an expectation of 1 flat blade hit and 1 pommel strike in 202 hits and both of them are rather weak blunt attacks (half the usual velocity multiplier, large contact area, rather light weapon), I don't think this counts :)
While definitely better than slashing hits, swords stabs aren't really all that good at piercing armour:
Short swords are lighter than spears and their stabs have 2.5 times the contact area.
Short sword stabs have half the contact area of pick strikes, but picks are 67% heavier and have twice the velocity multiplier... I expect pick strikes to penetrate armour more easily in addition to causing a bigger miss when they connect.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 02:09:54 pm »

Build it into a weapon trap in a noble's or favored dwarf's room. It's only really good for decoration.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 02:19:54 pm »

fair does.

when my dwarfs get round to picking it up and putting in a stockpile again.

theyve got alot of work to do. as usual.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 02:23:42 pm »

I'd say that a artifact weapon deserves to taste a bit of blood. Sure, you can decorate a room with it, but you can use some statues or whatever for that. If its tested and found lacking you can still relegate it then. Remember that an artifact gets nice to-hit-modifiers, and any metal should carve flesh easily.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?