Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My Heart Just Broke  (Read 1112 times)

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My Heart Just Broke
« on: May 15, 2011, 01:09:01 pm »

My current fort is my strongest ever. I have been to the depths. I have fought things that would cause lesser dwarves to instantly combust in fear. I have killed anything that has stood against me in open combat. I have... experienced tragedy.

Eshtan itonlaltur Aned Zizcun and Shem Uzolfikod Estilatesh Dobar. My two greatest soldiers. Over 70+ kills a piece, all earned in honorable combat, and among the list are megabeasts, forgotten beasts, and semimegabeasts. Eshtan was always first on the scene, with Shem not far behind.

That turned out to be their undoing. Two [clowns] had come, which wasn't uncommon. I had an unfinished outpost in [the circus], and I would sometimes get little visits. With my military completely adorned in [cottom candy] stuff, they were rarely a problem. Which is what I thought when a Monitor [Clown] showed up, especially when it said 'She is weak.'

Eshtan was first on the scene, as usual. She is my greatest soldier, and easily went toe to toe with the [clown], parrying and striking, but taking the hits as well. Slowly the wounds piled up, and then to my greatest dismay, it was over. The [clown] hadn't got any super serious hits in, but the ones it did land added up quickly, and then before I knew it..

Eshtan itonlaltur Aned Zizcun, Axe Lord has bled to death.

Bastard! I would murder this [clown] for taking my champion from me! Shem showed up as Eshtan fell, and the Axelord descended upon the [clown], hacking and slashing. Again, the creature fell into a series of parries and blocks, biding it's time. Shem wasn't as good as Eshtan, though, and even in his anger as losing Eshtan, his Commander, he was unable to avenge his fallen comrade. The [clown] grabbed, locked, and broke Shem's arm. Shem returned the favor with a vicious strike to the [clown]'s upper left leg, shattering the bone. The [clown] then grabbed Shem, roared powerfully, and threw the smaller dwarf down the hallway, towards the drop to the next level.

Shem Uzolfikod Estilatesh Dobar, Axe Lord has died after colliding with an object.

NO! My two best, fallen to this [clown]?! I raged. I felt my heart breaking. These two soldiers, who've been my two best for nearly ten years, who've brutalized entire seiges just by showing up, were just taken out by the same fool. The rest of my troops showed up and dispatched the [clown] after a breif scuffle, and a second showed up but was quickly put down by the 8 dwarves, because they had been trained by Eshtan and weren't pushovers.

The threat ended, I couldn't do anything but shake my head and order the alteration of their tombs. Before, they had the same tombs as the rest of my decorated combat veterans.. a 3x3 room with gold statues depicting them, or things they had bested in combat, with a golden sarcophagus.. but for these two, it wasn't enough. I order the floors and walls to be torn up, and replaced with solid gold. They deserved nothing but the best I could provide.

Eshtan and Shem, Heroes of Bannerfaint. Never Forget.
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
Re: My Heart Just Broke
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 01:23:32 pm »

Insert pieces of the [clown] in their tombs.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 01:46:42 pm »

They sound like good dorfs. May the survivors of that fateful day never forget them.

You could build a statue of each of them in a fighting pose out of solid gold on either side of your gate. That would truly honour them.
[Signature]

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 01:54:55 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Actually...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 01:55:15 pm »

They sound like good dorfs. May the survivors of that fateful day never forget them.

You could build a statue of each of them in a fighting pose out of solid gold on either side of your gate. That would truly honour them.

Is there a way to build specific statues? Currently I just mass produce until I get the ones I want.
Legacy of Insightshields

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 02:14:01 pm »

Is there a way to build specific statues? Currently I just mass produce until I get the ones I want.

No, no no. You misunderstand. We're not talking about some petty dwarfheight statue here. I mean a 40-dorf-high monument to their lives carved in perfect detail, rendering each of their heroic features in true fidelity.
[Signature]

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 02:34:24 pm »

Or, make their tombs shaped like their beards, and have a forbidden alcohol storage inside, one barrel for every kill they made. That'd be the ultimate honor for any dorf. They get to rest in supersized versions of their own booze-soaked beards!
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 02:39:35 pm »

I could build solid gold tombs in [the circus] itself, sort of as a big middle finger to the very things that finally brought them down. I mean the [clowns] came to their home and picked a fight, all four died.. but the [clowns] were tossed into magma while the dwarves will rest eternally on their enemies very doorstep, who will be unable to do anything about it.
Legacy of Insightshields

Raging Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • The mouse has become enraged! *DOUBLECLICK*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 04:27:53 am »

I could build solid gold tombs in [the circus] itself, sort of as a big middle finger to the very things that finally brought them down. I mean the [clowns] came to their home and picked a fight, all four died.. but the [clowns] were tossed into magma while the dwarves will rest eternally on their enemies very doorstep, who will be unable to do anything about it.

I wouldn't. The way things are going with the development, soon anything buried in the circus is likely to return as clowns.

BronzeElemental

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 08:46:17 am »

Turn your computer off and don't let DF save your game.