Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Watchtowers that actually watch  (Read 1945 times)

Doodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Watchtowers that actually watch
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2011, 06:02:20 pm »

I'd say that getting pathing, line-of-sight, alarms, and herding and fleeing tactics in line would be the greater fix.

As it is now, I usually keep my entrances watched using a long tunnel lined with window boxes stuffed full of cats.

Its still not the most ridiculous placeholder in the game, granted. But any fix involving pathing is usually huge so I wonder how much extra work it be to add that lookout zone.

Melagius

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord and Master here
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2011, 08:02:03 pm »

You might be interested in this thread on "animal-powered watchtowers", where Girlinhat noted that you could simply seal an animal that doesn't eat in a "watchtower", and it would spot creatures for you, out to their detection radius, and never need to eat.

She used windows, however, so that marksmen couldn't shoot into them, and because I don't believe there are any flying building destroyers (aside from FBs and clowns and the like) that could break into the watchtowers.

Rocs, but those are like FB's but scarier.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2011, 08:32:44 pm »

Ah well, if I have to replace my goose watchmen only every time a Roc attacks, then I'm still ahead.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2011, 10:52:27 pm »

I've just modded in a 3x3 workshop called a watchtower that has a simple command to train observer. The dwarves stand in there for days, great for getting rid of those idle peasants. I can usually spot a kobold from 30~ tiles away. Even at competent levels.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2011, 11:48:40 am »

I've just modded in a 3x3 workshop called a watchtower that has a simple command to train observer. The dwarves stand in there for days, great for getting rid of those idle peasants. I can usually spot a kobold from 30~ tiles away. Even at competent levels.

Don't reactions need to produce a product to train a skill now?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 [2]