Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124

Author Topic: Metal... GEAR?  (Read 130849 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: Metal... GEAR?
« Reply #1830 on: January 21, 2018, 01:23:29 am »

I could see the Boss/the Joy as a PC.  The person we saw in MGS 3 was clearly at the end of her story.  Go back into the distant past and she's probably weaker and more relatable.

That being said, there would be a feeling of... why?  The MGS sequels are deeply rooted in nostalgia and references.  Go back into the distant past and you lose all that history.  Would be kind of cool to see what ridiculous anachronisms Kojima would come up with for WW2 tech.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: January 21, 2018, 02:27:02 am »

In other news, some more details on Survive: always-online and microtransactions.
To be honest, always-online isn't that annoying (especially with the apparent focus on multiplayer) and microtransactions were present in MGSV as well.
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: January 21, 2018, 02:33:47 am »

I could see the Boss/the Joy as a PC.  The person we saw in MGS 3 was clearly at the end of her story.  Go back into the distant past and she's probably weaker and more relatable.

That being said, there would be a feeling of... why?  The MGS sequels are deeply rooted in nostalgia and references.  Go back into the distant past and you lose all that history.  Would be kind of cool to see what ridiculous anachronisms Kojima would come up with for WW2 tech.
Honestly, because there are no Metal Gear games with female protagonists.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: January 21, 2018, 02:58:50 am »

Honestly, because there are no Metal Gear games with female protagonists.
<insert MGS2 joke>

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: January 21, 2018, 10:30:16 am »

I've been playing the free PS4 beta for defend mission mode over the weekend.

It is very, very much like Fortnite, and since I enjoy the quick random co-op of Fortnite, then that is a good thing.
So I will not go into the discussion on if this is a rape of a series (beloved by me as well), but say that even as an independent title this game could become pretty good.

My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: January 21, 2018, 12:40:25 pm »

Am I right that the zombies don't know how to chase players, only how to assault objectives?  Cause that was the impression I got from the trailer.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: January 21, 2018, 12:59:13 pm »

So... they basically made Metal Gear: Fortnite?

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: January 21, 2018, 01:49:58 pm »

Am I right that the zombies don't know how to chase players, only how to assault objectives?  Cause that was the impression I got from the trailer.

Not exactly. When the waves are active in defend mode, then their focus is to reach and attack the objective, but they may attack the player, - especially if hit.
Between the waves you can gather resources, and as bullets and getting hurt is somewhat expensive, then these 3 minutes intervals are a bit closer to a stealth game (with the MG awareness circle and crawling through the mud), as the zombies will attack you if seen.

So MG Fortnite, - yes, that is what I've seen for now, and that is not a bad thing as I enjoy the game structure of Fortnite.  :)
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: January 22, 2018, 02:36:52 pm »

Also gave it a try.  It looks like it'll be a huge lootgrind.  Which means balance of the game will be heavy on the microtransaction/grindfest/wasteyourtime shit, worse then the shit Konami did for the MGS:V online features. 
The implied need for always online, even during single player is a huge meh. 

... I might actually try Fortnite, but I heard that devs are basically abandoning it for a better cash cow. 

Probably pick up Survive on discount in a year or two if it is still anywhere on my radar. 

Seriously though, buying 'AAA' games at full price or nearly full price, but also having to deal with shitty microtransaction balancing?  Every big publisher is trying to get into that shit ain't they? 
At least go freemium instead.  But then they'll probably be even shittier then the typical mobile games.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: January 22, 2018, 03:32:06 pm »

Well they're abandoning it for itself.  They used to be focused on Fortnite: PvE, now they're focused on Fortnite: Battle Royal.  So... take that as you will.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1840 on: January 23, 2018, 02:33:53 pm »

Seriously though, buying 'AAA' games at full price or nearly full price, but also having to deal with shitty microtransaction balancing?  Every big publisher is trying to get into that shit ain't they? 

At least go freemium instead.  But then they'll probably be even shittier then the typical mobile games.
They have to implement microtransactions in order to deal with the rising costs of development. Not that I'm apologizing for them since they're forcing the problem on themselves because of their perception that a successful game needs astounding, expensive visuals.

If it was freemium that would only worsen the microtransaction issues because then the game would ONLY make money if people bought the microtransactions. Wishing for freemium is asking for exactly what you don't like in the game. By charging for the game they can justify having less grind, grind being what encourages people to spend money on microtransactions.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: January 23, 2018, 02:49:02 pm »

I honestly think devs are out of touch.  The original reason microtransactions in AAA games proliferated was because last generation everything was 3 platforms, and to sell a game on Xbox 360 you needed to have DLC.

But now I think out of touch devs/publishers have gotten used to the income?  The thing about microtransactions is that no one can buy them who hasn't bought the game.  So work put into micro-transaction content is particularly inefficient.  Hence why free to play has blown up so much, because there's no limit on who can buy the microtransactions.  That's also why FtP games last a long time if they're successful, because the amount of people that own the game doesn't go down over time.  For AAA games relying on holidays and brick and mortar, sequels are a better model than microtransactions cause you get a full audience every time.

Course, Konami isn't invested in MGS as a series any more, so... yeah.  That last bit doesn't matter to them.

(God your avatar is cute.  You used to be someone else right?  Its on the tip of my tounge)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 08:31:16 pm by EnigmaticHat »

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: January 23, 2018, 05:00:21 pm »

(God your avatar is cute.  You used to be someone else right?  Its on the tip of my tounge)
Parsely used to be named SHOOTINWHILEMOVINATABRISKPACE

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: January 23, 2018, 07:29:08 pm »

FIRINGRAPIDLYINADDITIONTOPERFORMINGHIGHSPEEDMOVEMENT
Black lives matter.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: January 23, 2018, 09:50:29 pm »

I thought it was PEWINGWHILEMOVING?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124