Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 124

Author Topic: Metal... GEAR?  (Read 130953 times)

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
Re: Metal... GEAR?
« Reply #1785 on: May 02, 2017, 03:13:04 am »

If 4 is the worst, then you never played PO+ :^)
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: May 02, 2017, 03:23:52 am »

I put days into that gotta catch all the pokermonshumans+ game.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: May 02, 2017, 03:44:26 am »

It was pretty okay in MP via PROCFW or whatever it is that supports it, otherwise eh.
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: May 02, 2017, 06:19:32 am »

why not play them in release order
why not love yourself?
Black lives matter.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: May 02, 2017, 11:37:35 am »

Haha, so I can see here that the consensus is 1,000,000,000,000,000,000% release order.

As far as TPP goes ya, I can't not play it lol, it's just too fun. I've played Ground Zeroes too, and I have to say, I actually miss how densely populated and nuanced Camp Omega is--like, I think my biggest gameplay gripe with TPP is its actually a little too easy to stealth missions. Like, every now and then it's epic, but mostly if you're patient enough you can just fulton every person, vehicle, and object in the level. 99% of my combat alerts are just from me getting antsy or lazy and trying to sneak across a massive open space or something equally silly. There's not all that much tension once you git gud, whereas in Ground Zeroes that shit was insane! Observing patrol patterns, carefully timing your dives and rolls to get around approaching guards, even the simple fact of operating without the fulton makes it a lot tenser as you know that unless you kill the guy, you now basically have a timer until an alert goes off.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: May 02, 2017, 02:27:57 pm »

TPP has a problem where early on you face heavy opposition with few tools, but then later on you face not that much increased opposition with every aspect of your kit upgraded.

A great example of this is the starting silenced pistol.  It makes the nonlethal style fairly limited in the early levels since the player's aim is probably not great.  But then when you get the better non-lethal methods (companions/beanbags/tranq rifle) you ALSO get the pills that stop your rifle sway, and tools to tell you where the enemy is, AND on top of all that you as a player have probably gotten a lot better at aiming.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: May 02, 2017, 02:52:16 pm »

The biggest problem with Phantom Pain is the problem of all open world games, which is that it's an open world game. The three areas of Phantom Pain that are most like Ground Zeroes are also bases: the airfield in Zaire and the two bases in Afghanistan. To a degree these even inhibit the problem EH describes: they're just too dense and well thought out to really break with anything less than the best equipment possible.

Metal Gear's level design strength has always been with the concept of "the base", which is really why it disappoints me that a good 40% of Phantom Pain is Literally Nothing. It should have been all bases with small transitional wilderness areas.

tl;dr Open world games are a plague
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: May 02, 2017, 03:38:18 pm »

Lol, I feel that, although personally I enjoy the challenge of only being able to use the silenced tranq pistol + a buddy. In fact, I feel a little bad any time my other non-lethal weapons come out. I flat out refuse to call in helicopter support or use lethal weapons unless im out of ammo or I HAVE to destroy a gunship (usually because I fucked up the end of a mission and dont want to replay the whole thing.) In fact, the times I've been to all three of those bases I have yet to us anything BUT the tranq pistol. Quiet is useless as she sets the base on alert, D-dog is very useful, but the fact that his AI is retarded and Kojima's solution is the enemies just refuse to spot D-dog makes me not use him, D-walker is just... too metal for me, and D-horse... D-horse is my ultimate love. (He's also just a horse._

I think I might have a lot of fun with the subsistence mode/challenge.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: May 02, 2017, 04:37:00 pm »

You really don't need amazing weaponry except for bosses (and honestly this game makes boss battles unfun)

Once you start getting good as well (which you will) you will be able to take on entire based hand to hand.

Or do you mean in direct combat? Upgraded Fultons are a good idea. You want to use either stun or lethal (Though Tranq grenades are excellent)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 04:39:05 pm by Neonivek »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: May 02, 2017, 08:10:50 pm »

That's basically what I just said. I said I feel guilty about even thinking about using most anything other than the silenced tranq pistol and occasionally a rocket launcher for helicopters. This is my point though, for the most part, all the stuff you just mentioned makes the game way too easy. If you plan well enough, you can just skirt around the outside of an outpost or group of baddies and knock everyone out without a shot fired before fultoning them off to Mother base. Also, it's not that the boss battles are unfun per say, simply that they are waaaaaaaaaaay too easy, even easier than just playing the game. Hell, the first time I faced Sehalanthropus I just sprinted to the extract zone and mini-gunned that bitch in the eye. It took maybe 1 minute.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: May 02, 2017, 08:18:25 pm »

Have you noticed you can hang off the side of D-Horse to trot by enemies?  Might have been an upgrade.
It's the silliest thing, but the couple times I pulled it off gave me giggle fits.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: May 02, 2017, 08:25:05 pm »

Have you noticed you can hang off the side of D-Horse to trot by enemies?  Might have been an upgrade.

Nah, it's been a feature since the earliest gameplay trailers, and one of the base features of D-horse.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: May 02, 2017, 08:32:24 pm »

It's the silliest thing, but the couple times I pulled it off gave me giggle fits.

Ya, lol, the AI basically turns enemies into developmentally disabled 5 yr olds around animals.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: May 02, 2017, 08:34:19 pm »

I'm not complaining, it's great hehe.
Nah, it's been a feature since the earliest gameplay trailers, and one of the base features of D-horse.
I meant an in-game research upgrade (wouldn't be the craziest one...).  I bought the game at launch, but haven't played since I completed it to my satisfaction.  Which did take a few weeks, pretty fun game, might reopen it sometime.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: May 02, 2017, 08:35:17 pm »

That's basically what I just said. I said I feel guilty about even thinking about using most anything other than the silenced tranq pistol and occasionally a rocket launcher for helicopters. This is my point though, for the most part, all the stuff you just mentioned makes the game way too easy. If you plan well enough, you can just skirt around the outside of an outpost or group of baddies and knock everyone out without a shot fired before fultoning them off to Mother base. Also, it's not that the boss battles are unfun per say, simply that they are waaaaaaaaaaay too easy, even easier than just playing the game. Hell, the first time I faced Sehalanthropus I just sprinted to the extract zone and mini-gunned that bitch in the eye. It took maybe 1 minute.

For me it is that bosses take WAAAAAAAAY too long... and they don't do anything to make it more interesting... (Taking out Quiet with the Tranq Rifle... was just painful)

As for too easy... Yeah. Though doing some of the extras on missions can certainly up the ante. I've Fultoned all vehicle missions (and for some it was AMAZING!) and started to get into the habit of just depopulating the country side.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 08:38:04 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 124