Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 124

Author Topic: Metal... GEAR?  (Read 131104 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: Metal... GEAR?
« Reply #1530 on: October 24, 2015, 04:29:52 am »

That's why giving players the option to get her a more appropriate outfit from the start would've been the better option.

Still, if you look at eg. eva from mgs3, I'd say that is a much better example of how a 'fanservicy' character can be done, it made sense within the story and wasn't blatant pandering.

No they already pre-empted you and made her super extra permanent illiterate. Though I don't know their exact excuse for it being impossible for her to read (and the unfortunate implications of her being uhhh... mentally delayed is already icky enough)

Then use symbol language or whatever. Or a sort of morse code linking certain beeps to words. Or anything really. Would've made sense, Miller even rightly pointed out how her inability to communicate in the field would be a massive problem (after which they just handwave it away. When she spots a guard, how does she communicate this to Snake?)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 04:33:58 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: October 24, 2015, 04:33:57 am »

Perhaps Kojima was trying to pull something off akin to the Boss's boob shot at the end of MGS3? I bet that Kojima legitimately thought that people would be ashamed of ogling Quiet after they discover the truth about her, so Maybe that's why Quiet is like she is? Kojima tried to make the Boss lightning strike twice?
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: October 24, 2015, 07:35:08 am »

Then use symbol language or whatever.

Also pre-empted you. She can't learn sign language either.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: October 24, 2015, 08:42:27 am »

That's why giving players the option to get her a more appropriate outfit from the start would've been the better option.

Still, if you look at eg. eva from mgs3, I'd say that is a much better example of how a 'fanservicy' character can be done, it made sense within the story and wasn't blatant pandering.

This and this, ugh.
Or if the camera didn't keep zooming in on her undulating sexybits.  It actually made me intensely uncomfortable sometimes.  Because when you don't want to have sex with someone... but they're sexy, and keeping making sexual advances on you, against your will...  There's a word for that.  Even if it works on a physical level (just makes it even more uncomfortable).

As a supersoldier in a MGS game she has a right to a nonsensical costume, she can wear what she wants.  Even be completely naked, whatever!  Complete nakedness would have been a LOT less uncomfortable because it'd make more sense pragmatically, and it'd be less sexual than the torn bedroom lingerie.  But that's alright, given that she's wearing torn lingerie...  The problem is what she does with it, constantly, and that the camera often doesn't even let me turn away.  That was gross.

Eva was completely different because *Snake* was falling for her, whereas Snake is a gentleman towards Quiet but we're literally forced to ogle her as players.  And also Eva had a reason to act that way, whereas Quiet is... I still don't understand WTF she was trying to do.  I thought she had a massive crush on Snake, but the ending message just confused everything.  I guess she did fall for him, but not enough to stay or communicate through Code Talker.
(Also that last mission with her was such tedious bullshit, ruined any emotional impact it should have had)

Not to mention she looks nothing like the other sniper skulls, who are grey borgs.  I wish Quiet had been old like The End, even if it was a rapid-aging thing.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: October 24, 2015, 09:00:38 am »

Wow this place got infested with something overnight...

As a supersoldier in a MGS game she has a right to a nonsensical costume, she can wear what she wants.  Even be completely naked, whatever!  Complete nakedness would have been a LOT less uncomfortable because it'd make more sense pragmatically, and it'd be less sexual than the torn bedroom lingerie.  But that's alright, given that she's wearing torn lingerie...  The problem is what she does with it, constantly, and that the camera often doesn't even let me turn away.  That was gross.

Fine, make her naked, but also expect an NC-17 or AO or whatever rating your country uses on the package and the inability to market it anywhere except the shadiest sites on the net. Because society makes it so that skanky ripped lingerie is appropriate and nudity isn't. Kojima wanted nudity in MGS4 too but that was shot down.

And also Eva had a reason to act that way, whereas Quiet is... I still don't understand WTF she was trying to do.  I thought she had a massive crush on Snake, but the ending message just confused everything.  I guess she did fall for him, but not enough to stay or communicate through Code Talker.
(Also that last mission with her was such tedious bullshit, ruined any emotional impact it should have had)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Not to mention she looks nothing like the other sniper skulls, who are grey borgs.  I wish Quiet had been old like The End, even if it was a rapid-aging thing.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As for the rest of it all, just leave it alone. It's a good game(if unfinished) and if you expected anything other than fanservice and sneak-gunning from a Kojima game then you were poorly mislead. Quiet is a good character as far as MGS characters go and if you can't recognize that you're either not paying attention or you can't take your eyes off her breasts long enough to realize it.

People touting The Boss and Eva apparently don't realize how silly a lot of that stuff turned out to be. The Boss was great when she was still mostly mysterious... The AI pod storyline with Strangelove ruined that. Eva was an okay character until her ending in MGS4. That was a stupid way for her to exit stage left.

I love the series. I love the story. But I'll be the first to admit that it's all a poorly written and hacked together plot line spanning 30 years of real time that was never intended to go on this long. Despite all that, love and care was put into it and it is deep and detailed and I STILL find new things on basically every playthrough of any of the games. I love the series like no other, but I will never say it's written well and nobody should expect that from it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: October 24, 2015, 09:52:49 am »

It's a good game(if unfinished) and if you expected anything other than fanservice and sneak-gunning from a Kojima game then you were poorly mislead.

Peacewalker...

Kojima is actually capable of doing different stuff and has done so before.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 10:16:36 am by Neonivek »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: October 24, 2015, 10:34:37 am »

It certainly is a good game, and Quiet isn't the worst character around in video games. But she could've been much better.

Then use symbol language or whatever.

Also pre-empted you. She can't learn sign language either.

Hmm, I'll have to go back and relisten to the tape that deals with that to see what she can and can't do. Did they ever give any explanation then how she did communicate with Snake, or did they just hang a lampshade and leave it at that?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: October 24, 2015, 11:09:37 am »

The implication I believe is she basically has no interest in learning any other method of communication...

Though my personal theory is that she cannot actually understand language itself and instead has an overdeveloped understanding of tone and intent.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: October 24, 2015, 11:48:52 am »

That'd be neat, but...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: October 24, 2015, 01:59:07 pm »

It's a good game(if unfinished) and if you expected anything other than fanservice and sneak-gunning from a Kojima game then you were poorly mislead.

Peacewalker...

Kojima is actually capable of doing different stuff and has done so before.

Peacewalker was so terrible though. If they hadn't decided to base 5 on a lot of what happened in it I would have liked to have shoved it aside with the likes of Acid and Portable Ops. The story was so poorly written, Paz was nothing but a frame to show off some underwear a few times and sound cute in tapes and it ruined The Boss in my eyes. Also introduced Huey, which is the most unlikeable character in the entire series. It also lacked any sort of Ocelot... which I can't forgive it for.

As far as Quiet marking targets, best I can come up with is that she DOES have that laser sight on her rifles. And she starts humming anytime she's targeting someone. Combining those two you can at least follow the glowing line and listen for the hums to have an idea of where she's marking. But the whole target marking system is so gamey anyway I really don't fell like justifying it with an in universe explanation. Better explanation? Just two very experienced soldiers working together like a well oiled machine with few if any words needed between them.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: October 24, 2015, 03:10:18 pm »

The latter thing is it.  Video games have to do some strange things to simulate the skills the main character has.  All those HUD markers and ammo counters and stuff are just a replacement for things the character can do that the player can't.

Snake is the ultimate soldier and he's been soldiering for decades.  He can't actually see the enemies through walls, but he's been around the block so many times he can mentally keep track of where they should be based on what they were doing when he last saw them.

He can't slow down time but his reflexes are so fast compared to a normal person's it might seem like he can.
Shoes...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: October 24, 2015, 07:14:07 pm »

She likely paints targets (her laser is actually invisible, but we the player see it) with the laser.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: October 24, 2015, 07:30:39 pm »

Ugh.  MGR is like a handjob, you always come out of it wanting more.

The Jetstream Sam mission is so much fun it's a crime you can't play the whole game with him.  There's supposedly a mod in development but I've heard nothing of it aside from one video. 

The combat is so much fun but it lacks something.  They really hyped up the strategic dismemberment and "cut and take" shit but there's only one thing to take and since that instantly kills them there's not much reason to cut anything else aside from fun.  Avoiding kills gives you points but it doesn't actually influence the story, you see the guys you spared dead on the ground in the next cutscene.

There are a couple enemies that can have their weapons destroyed but it's hardly important or strategic.  Since the sword instantly cuts everything it touches it's hard to even roleplay pacifist raiden, it's almost impossible to just cleanly lop off a hand, you'll probably do something weird like slice his arm in half lengthwise or you'll clip a part of his body and kill him. 

I feel like a more traditional samurai game with the zandatsu thing and less Devil May Cry-esque combat would be a lot of fun.  Actually track the length and focal cutting points of the sword so you can disembowel and cut throats and otherwise slice people up without lopping off everything you touch.

But since Kojima is kill now it looks like nothing'll ever be done with one of the neater mechanics to come out in a long time.

Also, it took all the way to the fucking DLC for somebody to say what they'd been brewing since the first lines of the game, "you kill street gangs all around the world and we're not any closer to world peace."

The zandatsu in MGR is like the nemesis system in Shadow of Mordor, a tantalizing but disappointing proof of concept for an awesome mechanic you'll never see again.
Shoes...

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: October 24, 2015, 09:04:05 pm »

I think the real bane of the nemesis system is the fact that for it to ever matter the player has to die.  If they had thought of a different trigger it might have made a bigger impact on the gaming world.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: October 24, 2015, 09:57:34 pm »

Step 1. Crank difficulty
Step 2. Enjoy
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 124