Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 124

Author Topic: Metal... GEAR?  (Read 131116 times)

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
Re: Metal... GEAR?
« Reply #1515 on: October 24, 2015, 01:21:32 am »

I don't know about you guys but Snake is Damn sexy in that.
Besides that, Neo, we were already agreeing with you, it was blatant fan-service.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: October 24, 2015, 01:43:15 am »

I thought MGR's lyrics were hilariously bad.
Shoes...

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: October 24, 2015, 01:57:10 am »

It's MGS. But yes, Quiet has fans. I quite like the character. Mysterious, yet a damn good shot with a rifle. And you really do listen to the few words uttered.

As a character, Quiet was great with an unnaturally quiet Punished Snake (she put it in sharp relief, where your eyes and her skills talked to you, not your ears), and a grumpy-bum Ocelot.

Fan-service, yes, but useful for other characters' development as well, injured and iconic as they were portrayed. Yet she stood out amongst all their ugliness, without really saying much at all.

Sometimes actions speak louder than words. And when form meets function, it can be truly beautiful. Sometimes things are tits-out crazy in war, and you'll never, ever hear about it. But we are visual creatures.

Plus Japan. And men. Everywhere.

I quite liked her myself. Sexy, but in a different way. Then again, I live on the Gold Coast, Australia. Women go food shopping or go for a jog in that sort of stuff.

It probably depends if you consider that stuff "normal" for everyday situations, even if it isn't on the battlefield. I think that may be the point.

We can sexualize damn near anything. But Quiet wasn't sexy in any way you'd understand other than a choice of clothing and liking the rain. Plus a kickarse skill-set.
It's a game. Have fun.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: October 24, 2015, 01:59:17 am »

I dunno... Quiet tries so hard to be sexy she ends up being the opposite.

"Ohh... so... your bending over and presenting towards me in your diaper... well... Ok"

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: October 24, 2015, 02:10:03 am »

It's MGS. But yes, Quiet has fans. I quite like the character. Mysterious, yet a damn good shot with a rifle. And you really do listen to the few words uttered.

As a character, Quiet was great with an unnaturally quiet Punished Snake (she put it in sharp relief, where your eyes and her skills talked to you, not your ears), and a grumpy-bum Ocelot.

Fan-service, yes, but useful for other characters' development as well, injured and iconic as they were portrayed. Yet she stood out amongst all their ugliness, without really saying much at all.

Sometimes actions speak louder than words. And when form meets function, it can be truly beautiful. Sometimes things are tits-out crazy in war, and you'll never, ever hear about it. But we are visual creatures.

Plus Japan. And men. Everywhere.

I quite liked her myself. Sexy, but in a different way. Then again, I live on the Gold Coast, Australia. Women go food shopping or go for a jog in that sort of stuff.

It probably depends if you consider that stuff "normal" for everyday situations, even if it isn't on the battlefield. I think that may be the point.

We can sexualize damn near anything. But Quiet wasn't sexy in any way you'd understand other than a choice of clothing and liking the rain. Plus a kickarse skill-set.

I'm talking about Metal Gear Rising.

I've heard this is more normal for Japanese games but the constant, gratuitous T&A with Quiet was offputting.
Shoes...

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: October 24, 2015, 02:16:05 am »

edit: Oh, sorry. For Phantom Pain:

Japan and weird is my guess. Gross for no reasons, yet it strangely didn't make the character completely f'd up.

Kind of why I like the character. You literally "can't touch this" because it'd be Japanese levels of weird, and she won't even talk to you, because she'll turn you into a gibbering idiot if she does. It's like being a mixed-up teenager all over again, but she could probably kill you and all your mates without even trying.

A strange version of grrlPOwER! to be sure, but it's there.

Kojima likes taking the piss out of the average gaming demographic sometimes, I think.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 02:19:39 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: October 24, 2015, 02:52:39 am »

Well the offputting nature of Quiet may be because well... Ultimately she is a victim who is being "saved" through Snake.

And though she demonstrates absolutely NO knowledge of anything sexual or a desire to be intimate... She not only dresses in fetish gear but also constantly uses herself as an object of sexual gratification towards Big Boss. All while being unable to speak or emote the vast majority of the time.

So... Imagine you saved a woman from a battlefield... Dressed her in a latex outfit... and in spite being uninterested in you... you made her pole dance for you... all the while she is grieving for her family who was murdered in front of her eyes.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: October 24, 2015, 03:04:53 am »

...isn't that basically MGS4's boss squad's description near perfectly?

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: October 24, 2015, 03:17:48 am »

I think that's the point.

Something which wouldn't look entirely unusual clothing-wise in some parts of the world, is sexualized in a war-style situation. And in his own way, PS is a "champion", for staying on target to his true goals, without really going "Phoar! Check out the tits on that girl!"

And in many places in our own world, black leather pants and a bikini a perfectly acceptable day-time wear in many situations, and definitely so in a nightclub.

Do you think every woman wearing "provocative" clothing in a nightclub is "offering themselves to you" and is a fetishist?

It comes down to the individual player's outlook and experiences on how they sexualize Quiet. She is sexy. And fan-service. But she's just wearing what she's comfortable in, and doing what she does. There is no explanation.

I've known more provocative women than Quiet, who really didn't know what my mind could turn their actions into within a moment's glance. They never really knew. It's probably for the best.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 05:10:48 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: October 24, 2015, 03:29:18 am »

You don't use leather there for a very specific reason... and even then you can clearly see how "comfortable" it is. There is a reason I call it a Leather diaper.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 03:45:45 am by Neonivek »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: October 24, 2015, 03:46:45 am »

Hey XOF suit was pretty cool though.

But yeah, I think she was a rather dull character at times. Ok, she couldn't speak... But she could still write and had other forms of communication. But noooo, that would ruin her snowflake status, ermagerd, so mysterious.

And even if she had to leave skin revealed to function, she could've worn something practical. Or at least they could've given us the option for that somewhat sooner than very end-game.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: October 24, 2015, 03:52:34 am »

No they already pre-empted you and made her super extra permanent illiterate. Though I don't know their exact excuse for it being impossible for her to read (and the unfortunate implications of her being uhhh... mentally delayed is already icky enough)

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: October 24, 2015, 03:56:35 am »

Yeah. I guess we're working at cross purpose towards the same point.

As a character, Quiet was a non-entity, who's major features were a skimpy outfit and a very useful skillset for the player. It put other characters in the story (including the PC, Snake), into sharp relief, and let them be more characterful as well, even without much more in the way of storyline. And thus, was a useful device for telling the tale.

Also, as a non-character (almost a bit-part considering MGS canon and how everyone tends to have a more substantial character arc than Quiet has), it let it be a one-off fanservice tool. As well as letting the player put their own perceptions and thoughts into their character (PS), Quiet's, the dev's intentions, and even allowed a mind-set for the player to be established ("It's not just the boobs or the outfit. Skill-set counts. Even if she does stuff I didn't want her to, I love me some overwatch. And boobs. I'm the Boss!").

A blank canvas in it's own way, of the mind. With lots of pretty pixels and fanservice. A horrible story, that allowed other characters to show their main themes, with mostly mystery being her's.

Is MGS realistic? No. Why complain that she doesn't get gravel rash in a bikini?

Was she a cool story device, and a cool character for the series, with enough blank canvas to put your own thoughts into, and controversial enough to be a talking point still?

Yep. I quite like Quiet.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 05:12:32 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: October 24, 2015, 04:00:18 am »

I am not going to denounce the value of the character itself.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 04:11:37 am by Neonivek »

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: October 24, 2015, 04:14:27 am »

I am not going to denounce the value of the character itself.

Just that... it is kind of a shame that they took such a interesting character and basically just used her as shameless fanservice most of the time and didn't even hide it.

And no amount of "good character" would fix that. Sarah Conor from Terminator wouldn't be "just as good of a character" if she had to pole dance to get into the police station.

Worse yet her fanservice comes off as "icky" and "criminally perverted" a lot of the time (once again... Leather Diaper). So even if you wanted to like her for her boobs... You have to pretty much ignore her story, character, and basically objectify her completely in order to do so.

You're saying that, but Sarah Conner would have been awesome as a pole dancer imo. We don't have to agree on this (actually, it would have explained her crazy and "meh, men disappear sometimes", and gang/gun contacts way better if she was).

Quiet's fine as she is. But so is Sarah Conner. Asking what might have been is pointless.
It's a game. Have fun.
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 124