Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 124

Author Topic: Metal... GEAR?  (Read 131134 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: Metal... GEAR?
« Reply #1470 on: October 21, 2015, 04:37:37 pm »

So, finally got my hands on The Twin Snakes.

I discovered that I suck very badly at this game, seeing as I've never played a game like this on a console before. I'm playing on Normal, would you guys recommend cranking it back to Easy or Very Easy?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: October 21, 2015, 04:44:44 pm »

I'd say Easy, if it's a difficulty thing.
Unless you're just unused to the game in general.
Black lives matter.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: October 21, 2015, 04:54:26 pm »

Nah, I got the hang of not running around full speed all the time after getting shot down by the guards in the first room several times. But I get the feeling that
Quote from: Snake
He's using stealth? There's an intruder aside from me?
means that I'm not quite ready for Normal yet.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: October 21, 2015, 05:00:52 pm »

Nah, that's story stuff. (Unless that's what you meant.)
Black lives matter.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: October 21, 2015, 07:59:37 pm »

Snake demeaning his own skills is story stuff?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: October 21, 2015, 08:00:15 pm »

No, there really is someone else. :P

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: October 21, 2015, 08:03:05 pm »

Those were legitimate questions.
This is a sneaking mission, not reconnassiance.
Black lives matter.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: October 21, 2015, 08:08:29 pm »

Huh. I'd killed exactly three people up to that point and I assumed it was one of those self-aware moments the series is known for. :v

That said, I very nearly never made it through the tank hangar, so I think it's a safe bet to start over from Easy.

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: October 22, 2015, 11:25:23 pm »

I had the exact same situation, completely failing at sneaking and getting exactly 3 kills. I kinda get the feeling this was intentional, but stealth is actually referring to something completely different.
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: October 23, 2015, 12:22:27 am »

I'm replaying Metal Gear Rising.  Playing it with the knowledge and context of Phantom Pain completely changes the game.  I remember thinking the storyline was idiotic and preachy and didn't make any sense, but now I'm realizing that it's intentional.  Raiden's stupid fauxlosophic "one sword keeps another in the sheath" bullshit he spouts at the beginning is the exact philosophy that got them into this metal-gears-and-bionics-everywhere nightmare in the first place.

The whole historical course of the game world is showing the results of people like Raiden thinking peace is just a matter of killing the right people.

Which makes Jetstream Sam the right one when he makes fun of Raiden on the train.  A sword isn't a tool for justice, a sword kills people and that's literally the only thing it can do.  Violence begets violence and no matter how hard nards like Raiden and Emmerich try to bring peace and justice with weapons, all they do is make things worse.

It's nice, cause before I was like "this game is really fun but the storyline is stupid as fuck," now I can enjoy the gameplay and I can look at the story from a new lens that makes it more interesting.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 12:31:18 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: October 23, 2015, 12:32:00 am »

Question is, did Diamond Dogs (Or whatever you name that place) do anything to cause the situation? In all honesty, while they were perpetuating war, they would never have caused such problems if XOF had just left them alone.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: October 23, 2015, 12:46:17 am »

Them specifically?  Hard to say.  But Emmerich is at least partly responsible for the proliferation of metal gears, and the Skulls are the first example of bionically augmented humans, which likewise later became a staple of warfare.

Emmerich is absolutely cut from the same cloth as Raiden in this game though.  His logic in building metal gears is a pretty obvious parallel to MAD doctrine in real life, believing that if he can build a metal gear and drop it into a conflict zone it'll stop the fight, except within like a month every PMC in Africa has walker gears and we can see from the later games that the real gears proliferated too eventually.

By the end of the historic arc, Metal Gear Rising, you've got cyborgs that can outrun trains and slap bullets out of the air teaming up with AI war machines the size of buildings to form mercenary companies that answer to no  authority but their own.  It's a hellscape any way you slice it and it happened because people like Emmerich thought you could use weapons to stop violence.
Shoes...

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: October 23, 2015, 12:47:35 am »

I'm replaying Metal Gear Rising.  Playing it with the knowledge and context of Phantom Pain completely changes the game.  I remember thinking the storyline was idiotic and preachy and didn't make any sense, but now I'm realizing that it's intentional.  Raiden's stupid fauxlosophic "one sword keeps another in the sheath" bullshit he spouts at the beginning is the exact philosophy that got them into this metal-gears-and-bionics-everywhere nightmare in the first place.
"But here I am, arguing philosophy with terrorists" ~Metal Gear Rising, perfectly summarizing itself.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: October 23, 2015, 12:54:18 am »

In 1975, Big Boss was a violent person with a nuke. By "violent person", I mean that he's a person whose entire life had been and would always be defined by violence, one who could never live a peaceful life. Diamond Dogs continued that, and the game is currently encouraging you to build a nuke pretty damn hard (dispatch mission giving you enough fuel for a nuke, nukes causing the blockade timer on your FOBs to increase by 24 hours each, meaning that for each nuke it takes another full day before someone can invade you again)

Throughout the whole series, one thing is made clear: Snakes are violent creatures, no matter how much one sympathizes with them.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: October 23, 2015, 01:25:45 am »

"But here I am, arguing philosophy with terrorists" ~Metal Gear Rising, perfectly summarizing itself.

Pretty much.

The first mission is also a great summary of why Raiden's philosophy doesn't work. 

You've got an autonomous war machine the size of a building with missiles and a plasma cannon dueling a dude so fast he can run across its missiles while they're flying and so strong he can cut it in half, and they pretty much destroy the city in the process of fighting each other, probably killing tens of thousands of people and doing billions of dollars in damage, and when he wins they're all like "way to go raiden, that was rad"

And then he goes off and tells Jetstream Sam that his sword is a tool for justice to protect the weak.

It might also be worth looking into how Big Boss's nation of mercs thing has panned out.  I think MSH pointed out how Outer Heaven is pretty much a place where the war dogs of the world can finally make their own way in life instead of being used as cannon fodder for the elites.

And look what you've got, those same war dogs using their power to turn africa into a playground to the detriment of everyone who's not a bionic killing machine.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 01:33:10 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 124