Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 124

Author Topic: Metal... GEAR?  (Read 131211 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Metal... GEAR?
« Reply #1350 on: October 01, 2015, 06:25:53 pm »

HA!

First FOB defense mission was exhilarating!

Was a bit silly and got up too close to the guy, but a double tap with an AMR sniper rifle (silenced, for that little bit extra wondrous-ness) did the job well enough.

I'm still quite terrible at FOB attacks though... this was a retaliation attack for me getting caught by them, but now I get to retaliate for them stealing that one A+ guy and doing a "massive" 14k GMP damage! >:(

Do you guys got any tips, or know the best place to get them? One of the announcement things during the start-up for the game suggests there are some on their website, but it lies :(
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: October 01, 2015, 06:29:34 pm »

Gauss is a term that refers to both coilguns and railguns.

Only if used mistakenly. Gauss means coilgun. It's a different magnetically-accelerated weapon design from the railgun.

Though in all fairness, they are kind of very similar in concept.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: October 01, 2015, 06:35:08 pm »

Tips:
Use explosive weapons when defending. It's the best way, hands down.
Use Active Sonar when attacking. (And defending, on smaller platforms. The unmarked blip is the target!) Asking enemies where other enemies are also helps on larger FOBs.
If you're retalitating against a player you recently defended against, use the sneaking suit. Not that you shouldn't always be using the sneaking suit, but it prevents the other player's NVGs from detecting you if they happen to swoop in and defend. Especially helpful if you go in at night. Which I always do.
*inhales* DECOYS (Have some, I mean. Useful if you mess up and get in a firefight.)
Bring some sort of tranq gun in infiltrations so the enemies don't go on alert the first time you need to take someone out. I don't think you can pick up bodies on FOB missions (unless it was just a glitch) to get rid of them, so.

Black lives matter.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: October 01, 2015, 06:45:03 pm »

grenade launchers are actually basically the best thing in general

like rifles are pretty useless if you have a tranq gun, you want a grenade launcher when you get in a bind

also battle wear is probably better than the sneaking suit, if they can see you with NVG you're probably caught regardless of NVG

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: October 01, 2015, 06:50:14 pm »

They... can't see you with NVG if you have the Sneaking Suit on, i.e. they just see an outline. They might think it's a body if you're prone and/or have been killing people.
Black lives matter.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: October 01, 2015, 07:14:55 pm »

I generally take the AMR sniper rifle, 'cause it usually incapacitates guys with one shot. Not really sure what the second primary weapon I should use is though. I have the AMR assault rifle, just for that little bit of extra "am I using the gun I want to use" confusion, or the shotgun that your guys can use, both silenced. Never used a GL in the game yet :))

The battle armour though: is it possible to tranq guys wearing it? I usually go for the outright murder route, despite the Heroism penalty, because I didn't think tranqs were useful for that...

What about secondary weapons? Always the tranq gun, or something lethal? (I've actually never looked at the secondary weapons selection :-[)

Do you guys Fulton the enemies, even if they're crap? Use them as bait when they scream and shout, or try to get them silently?

Do you also have the nukes? They're ultra expensive (in terms of resources, anyway) but are they actually good, or do they just encourage people to try to take them away?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: October 01, 2015, 07:25:27 pm »

Mainly just adding my own questions to yours...

I generally take the AMR sniper rifle, 'cause it usually incapacitates guys with one shot. Not really sure what the second primary weapon I should use is though. I have the AMR assault rifle, just for that little bit of extra "am I using the gun I want to use" confusion, or the shotgun that your guys can use, both silenced. Never used a GL in the game yet :))
I think I gave the AMR a go, but even with lethal rounds it wasn't penetrating those damn riot visors.  Took a few shots to *knock the helmets off* even, what the hell.

The battle armour though: is it possible to tranq guys wearing it? I usually go for the outright murder route, despite the Heroism penalty, because I didn't think tranqs were useful for that...
Pretty sure those assholes are completely immune to tranquing unless you (or Quiet, I guess) knock their helmet off first.  I've resorted to just meleeing them, but I think someone said less-lethal shotguns can take them down eventually.

What about secondary weapons? Always the tranq gun, or something lethal? (I've actually never looked at the secondary weapons selection :-[)
As someone pointed out, the riot smg is actually amazing.  Much more ammo than the tranq pistol, and a headshot still incapacitates with one shot.  Eventually you can put a proper sight on it which fixes the accuracy issue.

Do you guys Fulton the enemies, even if they're crap? Use them as bait when they scream and shout, or try to get them silently?
Yeah I tend to fulton everyone.  Sometimes I take the time to wake them up and threaten them, since that doesn't wear off with time (only with alerts, or being found).

Do you also have the nukes? They're ultra expensive (in terms of resources, anyway) but are they actually good, or do they just encourage people to try to take them away?
Pretty curious about this too.  The game keeps talking about them as deterrents, but then at some point I'm pretty sure the game told me that enemy nukes were no longer a deterrent against me.  Since I've done very little FOB, that makes me think nukes aren't much of a deterrent at all.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: October 01, 2015, 07:28:48 pm »

Nukes stop becoming a deterrent when you get enough heroism (i.e. a fuckton). You can then go to the base, steal the nuke, and sell it for GMP or get rid of it and dump the waste (for heroism).
Black lives matter.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: October 01, 2015, 07:32:15 pm »

Ah so I've just played the single player so much that I'm immune to nukes.
...I have been playing it a shitton, so I guess that's fair.  Regularly seeing legendary enemies on the battleground should have been a sign.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: October 01, 2015, 07:37:28 pm »

It really is fun regularly recruiting S ranks, ain't it?
Hell, I'm pretty sure I even got an S+ combat soldier, who is now my main character and I don't care what you guys say.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: October 01, 2015, 07:47:38 pm »

I've got enough heroism to attack people with nukes, which is the issue. It usually says "players with similar grade" or some such when I go to the FOB missions, but whenever I go to the tab for "enemies with nukes" it's always empty. Is this a retaliation-only thing?

I haven't done FOB missions much, mostly because I'm not very good at them (I think my record is ~10/15 W/L) but the event thing that's s'posed to be happening has at least piqued my interest... even if 5 A+ guys at this point will probably not actually be useful.

Also decent enough practice for Metal Gear Online, which releases soon and looks kinda cool.

I've got a few S+ soldiers, and lots of S guys. I still use Snake for everything other than FOB missions, and even then I usually use an A+ guy for the score bonus. Are the different ranks important for combat as a player?

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: October 01, 2015, 07:58:58 pm »

There's a tip that mentions stats affect FOB missions, so I'm not sure about freeplay.
But Combat is for damage resistance, R&D is how much ammo you get when you pick it up from an enemy, Support is how fast you pick people up, Base Development is... Something. I know an S (+) Base Development solider automatically has security devices marked, anyway...
Intel is how fast you mark things and Medical is the effectiveness of drugs.
Black lives matter.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: October 01, 2015, 08:01:35 pm »

So wait... you gain a heroic reputation by sparing your enemies.  This for some reason makes you immune to nukes.  You use this immunity to steal nukes and sell them to unspecified buyers.

"heroism"
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: October 01, 2015, 08:04:18 pm »

Hey hey, I'm pretty sure distributing nuclear weapons lowers heroism appropriately. I'm just not sure if and, if so, how much.
Black lives matter.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: October 01, 2015, 08:36:51 pm »

There's a tip that mentions stats affect FOB missions, so I'm not sure about freeplay.
But Combat is for damage resistance, R&D is how much ammo you get when you pick it up from an enemy, Support is how fast you pick people up, Base Development is... Something. I know an S (+) Base Development solider automatically has security devices marked, anyway...
Intel is how fast you mark things and Medical is the effectiveness of drugs.

it makes fultoning faster
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 124