Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 124

Author Topic: Metal... GEAR?  (Read 131263 times)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
Re: Metal... GEAR?
« Reply #1260 on: September 25, 2015, 03:10:32 pm »

Twin Snakes isn't too bad imo. The issue is pretty much that the trade-off for the updated gameplay and graphics is that all the cutscenes become unbelievably over the top ridiculous since Kojima had just recently watched The Matrix prior to making it.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 03:16:32 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: September 25, 2015, 03:10:52 pm »

I'd say chronological order is better than release order IMHO in terms of understanding the story.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: September 25, 2015, 03:44:18 pm »

Twin Snakes is how I first played Metal Gear 1, it's... pretty great!
I absolutely loved Snake Eater though.  And storyline wise, I don't think playing MGS1 (much less 2) helps at with understanding 3.  Other way around, really.  I'd explain further, but that'd be spoilery territory.

So personally, I'd recommend playing 3, then 1.  Then... probably 2.  It's chronologically and mechanically next after 1, and the characters are pretty interesting.  Eventually.  Just be prepared for things to get really, REALLY weird.  I think the last third or so was really weak honestly, and made up for it in craziness.

Next would be MGS4 I guess, but I haven't had a chance to play it.  It's also chronologically the end, and from what I've heard, it looks like a good end to the series.  (particularly due to one showdown I've watched on youtube, heh).  So I dunno but I'm holding it off for last, personally.  Well, also it's absolutely PS3 exclusive, so yeah :P

So after that, MGS5: Back to Big Boss.  Except that I'm pretty sure one should play Peace Walker and Ground Zero before 5 (Phantom Pain) if possible.  It's hardly *necessary*, I didn't, but there seemed to be a lot of context I missed out on.  Certain things probably didn't have the impact they were supposed to have. 

Sorry for verbosity, I'm procrastinating.
3,1,2?,5,4??

Edit: I talked about 4 being last but then didn't put it last, derp
Take all this with a lot of salt, because the order is actually super flexible
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 04:03:14 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: September 25, 2015, 03:58:19 pm »

Honestly it feels like the series is split into two... Solid Snake and Big Boss.

Since honestly you don't need to play ANY Big Boss games to understand the Solid Snake games... and vise versa.

Heck the Big Boss games go out of their way to avoid linking themselves too much to the Solid Snake saga right down to avoiding the major plot points that should have already shown up.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: September 25, 2015, 04:14:57 pm »

Heck, there are even 5 of each.

Big Boss:
MGS3
MGS:Peace Walker
MGSV
Both:
MG1
MG2
Solid Snake:
MGS
MGS2 (at least, his influence is huge in the game, even if he's not the player character through most of it)
MGS4

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: September 25, 2015, 04:37:02 pm »

You're forgetting a few.

Big Boss

Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops Plus (Expansion)
Ground Zeroes (arguably a different game)

Solid Snake

Metal Gear: Ghost Babel
Metal Gear Acid

I think I'm forgetting a few too.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: September 25, 2015, 04:38:21 pm »

Acid is noncanon though, and Portable Ops wasn't made by Kojima.  As far as I was able to tell really quickly.

Never heard of Ghost Babel  ???
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: September 25, 2015, 04:42:43 pm »

Portable Ops was fun for what it was at the time, but I don't believe it is canon.  Same with Acid.  I played both those and I've already forgotten what sort of gameplay Acid has.

Technically, Ground Zeroes is lumped with 5, since they both seem to be referred to as MGSV in one way or another.  But yea, it is canon and bridges the gap between Peace Walker and TPP.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: September 25, 2015, 04:52:34 pm »

Acid is noncanon though, and Portable Ops wasn't made by Kojima.  As far as I was able to tell really quickly.

Never heard of Ghost Babel  ???
Ghost Babel is the highest rated game in the series

it's a game boy color game that plays like MG2 with some conveniences from MGS1

I didn't count PO, Ac!d or Ghost Babel intentionally since none really contribute to the plot (and Ac!d contradicts everything after MGS1 and Ghost Babel contradicts everything after MG2, so)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: September 25, 2015, 04:59:07 pm »

It is not metal gear solid

by which i mean its plot bears no resemblance to metal gear solid

the japanese title is FAR more correct, as it is not metal gear solid

There's a reference to it in MGS2, about invading the fortress Galuade

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: September 25, 2015, 05:18:46 pm »

So, I just got all the S-ranks/almost all mission tasks. I just need a few Side Ops, mission tasks, and animals now!
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: September 25, 2015, 05:23:53 pm »

I am going to give this game praise.

It often doesn't give you quests that are completely contradictory to eachother.

In that "Destroy all vehicles" is resolved if you Fulton them.

I am so sick and tired of games where basically you have to replay missions over and over again and do slight alterations on what you did last time.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: September 25, 2015, 06:15:32 pm »

It was just "Metal Gear: Ghost Babel" in Japan, too, so naming it Metal Gear Solid was just a marketing thing in the US I think

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: September 25, 2015, 08:01:53 pm »

I did not say "highest rated game in the series" ironically or in any tongue-in-cheek way

it's probably DAMN good

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: September 25, 2015, 09:32:53 pm »

There is a wonderful LP of Ghost Babel by The Dark Id here, if anyone's interested. http://lparchive.org/Metal-Gear-Ghost-Babel/
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 124