Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 124

Author Topic: Metal... GEAR?  (Read 131118 times)

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Metal... GEAR?
« Reply #720 on: September 08, 2015, 01:40:19 pm »

At this point, as long as they don't take any of my important people, who I've already put a lock on, I'm pretty good.

By putting a lock on do you mean direct contract? Does that protect them entirely? How many people under direct contract can you have? I'd have to shield all or at least the majority of my R&D staff with special skills. They're a pain to find.

Also, how often can your FOBs be attacked? Even if you have a lot of manpower, if 10 players attack you per day, they'd drain you and keep you down without you being able to do much about it.

I want to be well-informed, given the FOB game is not something you can back out of once you get in, I've heard...

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: September 08, 2015, 02:12:08 pm »

Also, if you are short on GMP... you can sell excess resources in the resource section.
I implore everyone to remember the fact that the value of, say, Biological Matter is 100 GMP... per unit.
So if you're running at 20,000 units of everything you can literally sell a thousand of that unit and be set for a little while / just get yourself out of the red without even noticing the drop.
Black lives matter.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: September 08, 2015, 02:22:36 pm »

I always thought GMP in Peace Walker stood for Generic ManPower. It made sense to me because I always pictured all the folks in the combat unit working on the base and in the factories in their downtime.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: September 08, 2015, 02:26:34 pm »

GMP stands for Gross Military Product. It's explained at one point.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: September 08, 2015, 02:38:08 pm »

It'll be interesting to see how the stealth gameplay translates to human opponents who won't be fooled by my box shenanigans.
If this game is like every other form of Metal Gear PvP, you will be shocked by how untrue that is.

Change blindness is a real bitch.  I guess it really comes down to how much visual clutter there is.  Some things can be cheesed like dropping a box and immediately diving out of it to leave a decoy but it's a question of can the enemy just learn to treat boxes the way he would treat a confirmed enemy or is it more complicated than that.

The crisp clean mother base platforms make me wonder how easy it'll be to hide in plain sight like that
Shoes...

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: September 08, 2015, 02:53:43 pm »

At this point, as long as they don't take any of my important people, who I've already put a lock on, I'm pretty good.

By putting a lock on do you mean direct contract? Does that protect them entirely? How many people under direct contract can you have? I'd have to shield all or at least the majority of my R&D staff with special skills. They're a pain to find.

Also, how often can your FOBs be attacked? Even if you have a lot of manpower, if 10 players attack you per day, they'd drain you and keep you down without you being able to do much about it.

I want to be well-informed, given the FOB game is not something you can back out of once you get in, I've heard...
Yes, Direct Contract.  Apparently, they don't get sent on missions or whatever where they have a chance of dying or whatever.
Malek for example seems to be destined for doom... he died after I removed his lock.  (I hear other people's Malek have died?)

For how many attacks, probably as long as you keep on winning, immediately, if any mobile games of its similarity are any indication.
If your base defense loses, they get a piece of your people pie and you gain protection for a time.  No clue how long, since I've only seen victory so far, partially thanks to unstable network/server probably.  As I said earlier, I want to retaliate... but getting d/c mid-infiltration sucks worse in my mind...

So far, in my opinion, it is worth it.  But, PS4 servers are still total crap and many players are waiting for it to get better before they get into FOB offense.  Also the fact that many people have not reached FOB even after 50 hours.  My PSN friends mostly still havn't reached FOB...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: September 08, 2015, 03:36:14 pm »

Still haven't gotten to FOB myself. But surprised that it's after Africa.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: September 08, 2015, 03:42:42 pm »

I was expecting Africa to be the last zone but I'm no longer sure.  I was also expecting the game to only have 21 or so episodes.  I seem to be very wrong on that account, I'm at 21 and we haven't even come close to explaining or resolving anything.  If anything things become more mysterious as we go.  This game is the gift that keeps on giving.  To myself.  From myself. 

No spoilers though.
Shoes...

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: September 08, 2015, 03:46:52 pm »

Number of episodes:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: September 08, 2015, 05:15:51 pm »

Oh, apparently my security system has been awesome so far...  (No expense has been spared.)
After getting my arse kicked by my own bases...  yes.  Expanding your FOB and investing in it.. is in your interest.  Leave it minimal and weak... and it will be a self-fulfilling prophecy of you effortlessly losing non-contract employees every time the protection timer goes off.

Security Team are who you send to fight and die/get fultoned in FOB defense.  They are basically the reject section of your combat team.  1st and last line of defense.

For some damn reason, everyone in close combat are loaded with smg, not shotguns.  Not even carrying shields, since the only available version is Grade 2, while I have equipment set at Grade 5.  I need to be able to micromanage loadout %.  >.>  So I can have everything.

Direct Contract: Totally works.  My only S+ in Combat Unit is not even listed as a potential spoils of war while under Lock.  Other S+ who are not Locked are listed as potential spoils of war.
Direct Contract can cover at max roughly 9-10% of your total current population.  But you have to manually apply the locks.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 05:21:33 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: September 08, 2015, 06:37:18 pm »

Yeah, the high-tier FOBs get kinda crazy. My security team is all A rank or greater now, so they're equipped with full ceramic armor and bullet-proof helmets. When I 'train' on my own FOB I can't even get past the first platform without either getting spotted by my drones or my veteran soldiers. You need to go full nuclear, maximum lethal to steal anything at all -- and even then, there are something like 50 soldiers (and I think they get reinforced too) in full gear, all crack shots.

It's also pretty fun invading other people's bases; my go-to loadout is a grenade launcher (for the enemy player) and an LMG (for everything else). Stealth ceased to be an option once the helmets came into play. I almost felt bad robbing one guy blind, killing him with grenades every time he respawned -- but then I remember he attacked me first, so really he deserves every bit of it. I swiped over 80,000 resources from the poor bloke, and must've killed 20 of his men.

I'm actually having a lot more fun with the FOBs than I thought I would.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: September 08, 2015, 08:09:53 pm »

Yarghh...  trying to go back and do all the objectives/S rank em.  Bastards killed one of the prisoners before I got there.  Was literally almost there. 
At the least, managing to do everything else... I won't have to repeat it a 4th time.  S Rank simply from doing all the vehicles. (Episode 9)

On another note, silenced non-lethal shotgun is awesome, but takes 2 hits to down, maybe I shouldn't use the cheapest version...  The loud non-lethal one is exceptional at its job though.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 10:27:40 pm by Zangi »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: September 08, 2015, 08:28:26 pm »

Just got Fulton cargo 2 and immediately used it to steal a manned tank.
The real METALGEAR begins here.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: September 08, 2015, 08:54:42 pm »

Bubby...

Bubby...

Shoes...

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: September 08, 2015, 09:17:51 pm »

I just noticed that if you sprint past trees it makes a whooshing sound.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 124