Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 124

Author Topic: Metal... GEAR?  (Read 131053 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Metal... GEAR?
« Reply #645 on: September 06, 2015, 11:53:20 am »

Okay, now I'm pissed.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And then I was frustrated so I got caught, and I can't stomach the thought of going through that again and finding the doors locked again.
I'm fairly certain that's a glitch, the door was blue for me.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: September 06, 2015, 12:04:57 pm »

Trying again.  Lost my perfect stealth, lost my reflex bonus, don't care enough to do it.  Now the door's blue.

It looks like the door unlocks when you ruin your perfect run.  This mission has taken six years off my life.  I started this mission having a lot of fun and feeling like Big Fucking Boss, now I think I hate this game.

EDIT:  I got a C.  Fuck my life.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 12:17:12 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: September 06, 2015, 12:18:40 pm »

You can disable Reflex Mode in gameplay options so you'll always get the bonus no matter what. It can help quite a bit when going for an S-rank since sometimes it triggers when you don't actually need it.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: September 06, 2015, 01:24:24 pm »

I like the sort of ideas working behind the game.  I'm not gonna call it a message because I think direct messages are kind of silly.  This isn't Pilgrim's Progress.

But you can sort of see how Big Boss and all the events of the game are setting the foundations for the nightmare scenario in Metal Gear Rising where fighting's done by paramilitaries and AI war machines and everybody's so hopped up on stims and neural augmentation that they may as well be machines.  I was kind of joking at first but now I'm pretty sure the Burning Man is supposed to be the second horseman of the apocalypse.  I know the four horsemen are bosses in one of the games but I wonder if you could identify any other characters over the course of the series that represent the horsemen as we lead up to mankind's robot-induced extinction/apotheosis.

This makes me want to play through the whole series.  I'll have to miss MGS4 since it's on the PS3 but everything else I should be able to emulate.  I'll play in release order, do it Star Wars style.  See Solid Snake's story, then go back and see the origins with big boss, then move into the future and see the climax of the whole thing.
Shoes...

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: September 06, 2015, 01:27:09 pm »

Chip Cheezum has done LPs of every game quite thoroughly, so if you don't want to or cannot play through the games you can go to that. That's how I got caught up on all the games I missed.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: September 06, 2015, 01:43:23 pm »

Apparently kills by Quiet doesn't count as a 'your' kill in statistics...  With that, I'm assuming that kills via dog don't count either.
I forgot to change her loadout after a specific fight and she just murders the whole base and my objective by herself. (Was wondering why there were no blue ZZZs on the map...)

Even the chopper kills apparently don't count.  Considering I've had it fight other gunships before.

So technically, you could have a no-kill game.  Vicariously live through your companions and hardware.  Kills via bombardment count as your kills.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 01:52:16 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: September 06, 2015, 02:12:05 pm »

Just visited the medical platform and

also why is there a cage with toilet and bed open to the rain on my medical platform
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 02:18:30 pm by Egan_BW »

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: September 06, 2015, 02:40:30 pm »

Well i fnished every mission except nr. 50 and the airport battle, which are both incidentaly just straight up fighting.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: September 06, 2015, 04:23:46 pm »

Just visited the medical platform and

also why is there a cage with toilet and bed open to the rain on my medical platform

Incredible foresight, that's why.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: September 06, 2015, 04:41:23 pm »

This is everything I wanted it to be ;_;
Absolutely batshit events which I assume will only begin to make sense by the end
Being Big Boss again
Abducting people (and animals) by balloon like I kinda heard was a thing in Peace Walker but could hardly believe
And a passable tactical espionage shooter
Ocelot~  Best horrible monster (based on other games, he hasn't done much here) (besides look good (on a horse))

I can't believe it was on discount instantly, or that the codes still worked a few days after the launch.  I feel very satisfied with this purchase.

I feel like I'm playing MGS3, but on PC, plus I can repeat levels and also all the dumb but fun open-world mechanics of this era of games.
Soooo happy!

Edit:  Oh and, I don't think this counts as a spoiler, but I guess if my mission is to rescue someone, I probably shouldn't use ALL my balloon-packs on random mooks.
Would have been more of a problem except that, well, most of the mooks were gone :D  Just grabbed a car and left.  (And reinforcements weren't coming, hehe)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 04:46:02 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: September 06, 2015, 05:29:07 pm »

Nope. Balloon-nap everyone. You can call in a supply drop to get more fultons delivered to you. It's pretty cheap. If you're really short of GMP, do target practice at your platform. You pay yourself 30,000GMP for completing it for some reason. That's a lot of fultons.

Upgrade your fulton tech as early as possible too. Then you can steal cars, crates (big white shipping container things) and all kinds of stuff.

When in doubt, throw a fulton on it.
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: September 06, 2015, 05:37:36 pm »

It depends.  There are definitely some hefty cutscenes but nothing like what I've heard from MGS4.  I think the cassettes are a compromise.  I've probably got 45 minutes of unread cassette tapes on my iDroid right now and it's all important supplemental info.

That's pretty annoying, but what I really hate is Tarragon, the medicinal plant that contains a benzodiazepine derivative used in the production of pentazemine.

I think that's the Kojima way of pointing out something. There's a fair bit of thought that the previous and recent Afghan wars were fought over poppy fields, opium, heroin and morphine production. Which has both legal and illegal uses, on both sides of the conflict.

But there's actually plenty of other plants with medicinal uses, and possibly illicit uses, that grow in the area. Some of them even native to the area, growing on hillsides, pickable by anyone, stuff that we just think of as cooking herbs. Yet with enough chemistry applied to them, drugs *could* be made from them. But everyone focuses on the poppies......
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 05:39:53 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: September 06, 2015, 06:40:50 pm »

Fair warning for those who havn't gotten too far.
Spoiler: Trigger (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: What Does Happen (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Not really a solution (click to show/hide)

On a positive note, after hitting 100k heroism, I'm seeing S ranks now.  I think difficulty/fulton targets pretty much scales up with heroism.  Not a bad thing, just slightly more dangerous in fire fights and probably spot a bit further too...
I'm always low on GMP though.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: September 06, 2015, 08:35:06 pm »

2 questions

anything permanently missable/screw-up-able? this whole quiet business sounds finicky

also, WHERE IS THIS MUSIC COMING FROM ON THE MED BAY? I CAN'T FIND THE SOURCE AND IT'S DRIVING ME MAD

posting again
Only thing I know that is screwable so far is Quiet.  MB employees are replaceable after-all...  (I think you can lose some MB folks in appropriate missions... usually intel guys.)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: September 06, 2015, 08:48:14 pm »

Edit:  Oh and, I don't think this counts as a spoiler, but I guess if my mission is to rescue someone, I probably shouldn't use ALL my balloon-packs on random mooks.
You probably SHOULD use all your fultons on random mooks, at least at first. You can get a scanalyzer that tells you what kind of stats and skills they have, but even then you're going to want people in your base, even in the waiting room in case you lose people on deployment missions. Also make sure to weed out "troublemakers" every now and then, they can give your crew PTSD or even injure them. Go to the 'all' tab and sort by 'skills' and then scroll through your diplomats until you get to 'troublemakers'. You can either have one diplomat per troublemaker in a team, or one troublemaker per troublemaker (lol?). In either case, do that until you start getting troublemakers that have useful skills or stats.

Also, something pretty neat that you can do that I didn't know about until a few days ago. While using the map you can change what the 'place marker' button does using the up and down D pad (dunno what it'd be on KB/M). You can change it to call helicopters or even drop supplies, so no more scrolling through the menu to get to the thing you want. You can do something similar with your INTScope by pressing Triangle/Y (Dunno what it'd be on KB/M).
anything permanently missable/screw-up-able? this whole quiet business sounds finicky
I don't know if you have to beat Quiet your first time meeting her (Kaz suggests you can skip her and continue with your mission, but I fought her) in order to get her, but I do know that if you do certain obvious things then you'll kill her. Shooting her in the face with a sniper rifle is not something that counts as killing her, but after you fight her...

That does beg the question. I assume that if D horse dies then you can't just get a replacement horse, right? I imagine the same for DD.

Now for my own question, does anybody know the specifics about getting codename things? I know that it mentions 'having great success with X' but is there a resource that says how many knife kills you need for Mantis, or how many CQC fights you need for Bear etc?
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 124