Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 124

Author Topic: Metal... GEAR?  (Read 131065 times)

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
Re: Metal... GEAR?
« Reply #630 on: September 06, 2015, 01:05:26 am »

I've just noticed that the snake genetic line has an odd tendency to exposition to their defeated enemies, MGS1 Snake starts blabbering about the entomology of dogs or something, MGS3, Naked snake is all 'Blah blah blah gun technique, blah blah blah use revolvers', MGS 4 we have an exposition-off between Snake and Big boss, though I haven't played 5, so I dunno about that one.
Peace Walker doesn't count, he barely speaks in cutscenes there.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: September 06, 2015, 01:11:57 am »

Spoiler: Quiet (click to show/hide)
I really like this set piece, and I even overheard some soviet soldiers foreshadowing it several missions before I even reached it.

EDIT:
Spoiler: Quiet (click to show/hide)

Firing RPGs from a moving horse feels badass and seems like the kind of thing that would be hazardous in real life.
Those things have recoil, people standing up and not bracing themselves tend to fall over backwards when firing them. I can only imagine what it's like on horseback. But this is a video game, rule of cool.

E: While I still keep editing this post I'm curious, when you finish a mission and get your GMP tallied up, what's the "Battery" category? I always got 200 but this time I got 800, and it's a bit confusing since I don't think you can really ever run out of batteries...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 01:40:50 am by OzyTheSage »

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: September 06, 2015, 01:49:19 am »

Perhaps that tallies how much battery power you used?
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: September 06, 2015, 03:44:19 am »

I think I may be bad at this.

Almost every mission I do ends with helicopter support and airstrikes. And lots of explosions. This does not seem very stealthy.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: September 06, 2015, 03:58:33 am »

I think I may be bad at this.

Almost every mission I do ends with helicopter support and airstrikes. And lots of explosions. This does not seem very stealthy.
Its fun though and there ain't anything wrong with that, unless its not fun.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: September 06, 2015, 04:48:44 am »

Speaking of going loud, I just got an E rating on Backup, Back Down, the mission where you have to kill the APCs going to the guerrilla fight. 

I don't understand that mission.  Is it possible to do that stealthily?  Is it possible to do it at all?  it took me five minutes just to reach the first vehicle but maybe that's cause I picked the wrong landing zone.  I guess that's the kind of mission you have to go back and do when you've got all the special gear.  This multi-rocket definitely-not-a-javelin I found in a truck would probably help a lot if I'd gotten it before the mission ended.

Also I'm assuming the sneak suit doesn't provide the same long-range stealth capability of the daytime camo suits?  Even if it doesn't, is there still any reason to use them or did I just find hte end-point of the game's dress-up features?  Aside from "head options" which I haven't even seen.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 04:55:08 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: September 06, 2015, 07:14:47 am »

You can fultion any vehicle if you get up to it - it helps to have the stun mines.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: September 06, 2015, 07:30:35 am »

You can fultion any vehicle if you get up to it - it helps to have the stun mines.
That is for much later.  I didn't have access to it or any of the fancier stuff by then.

Bring a launcher.  Pre-drop ammo/supplies for you to pick up.
For travel time, use the horse.
Best starting point is probably the ground based one, in my opinion.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: September 06, 2015, 09:55:26 am »

I did that Geurrilla mission with the first launcher (the Grom or something) and the extra launcher you get.
The extra launcher, by the way, destroys APC's in one hit, instead of the Grom's three-and-several-seconds-for-it-to-explode. I had enough shots left over in it to decimate some poor Ruskies on my way out of the hotzone. Very fun.
Black lives matter.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: September 06, 2015, 10:26:56 am »

I think I probably fucked it up by bringing D-Dog in cause I'd just gotten him, and spawning so far from the first APC it took me a third of the mission time to get him.

I really wish you didn't lose points for reloading.  The game's so finicky sometimes it feels like I get caught for dumb shit, or because I thought I could do something it turns out I can't do.  Like apparently Snake can't turn around inside the box to grab somebody facing the wrong way.

Or I climb onto a table instead of grabbing the box on top of it.

Or I tell DD to grab a guy five feet in front of me and he thinks I meant the guy a hundred yards in the other direction (possibly because snake can't turn around inside a box and was facing hte wrong way.)

edit:  After losing literally three times in a row because of box bullshit, I discovered that if you go into binocular mode and turn around, people don't seem to notice the box rotating.  It may be a vidya conceit like how you can still hear your footsteps in the stealth suit.  LIkewise you can use binoculars to instantly turn around while prone but you probably noticed that one already. 

Despite those problems I will admit I'm a full convert to the church of the parallelogram.  Once people start wearing NVGs it's hard not to use the box.

I can't stop editing.  What's to stop me from repeating the spetsnaz commander mission to get extra dudes aside from the time involved?  Does the game prevent you from recruiting multiple copies of mission characters like that?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 10:47:29 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: September 06, 2015, 10:44:08 am »

You lose the no retries bonus if you checkpoint, and it's one of the smaller ones (like 5k or something) so unless you're confident that you can do a mission perfectly it's not really worth restarting over. There's no point penalty for each additional retry. I've S-ranked a few missions where I've had to checkpoint 7 or 8 times.

The level 2+ Sneaking Suits completely mask the sound of your footsteps while crouching, which is pretty useful, but they're actually worse than appropriate camo during daytime, so keep that in mind when choosing your loadout. They excel at night time infiltrations however.

If you haven't already, check out the second floor of the Medical Platform and go through the door there. There's some neat stuff.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: September 06, 2015, 11:23:22 am »

Still.  I've managed to suppress my perfectionism so far but it's hard to resist.  I'm at the soviet base camp mission and I'm looking to foxhound it.  So far I've come pretty close, the first time I fucked it up I'll admit was my fault, I kept moving when I should've been patient, but the second time the guys who spent the entire first playthrough in the same spot decided to do something else literally the exact moment I was walking past.
Shoes...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: September 06, 2015, 11:36:24 am »

I don't even use the sneaking suit, I prefer camo. It might be my MGS3 love bleeding through, but footstep noise isn't even a problem once you get sneaking down. You can also kind of cheap it out if you tap sneak repeatedly instead of holding it, causing Snake to take partial steps foreward while not making noise.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: September 06, 2015, 11:47:27 am »

Okay, now I'm pissed.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And then I was frustrated so I got caught, and I can't stomach the thought of going through that again and finding the doors locked again.

Oh, AND to top it all off trying to find out why the doors are fucking locked spoiled the mission for me.  So I know what happens at the end.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 11:53:48 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: September 06, 2015, 11:49:51 am »

Speaking of going loud, I just got an E rating on Backup, Back Down, the mission where you have to kill the APCs going to the guerrilla fight...
You can fulton any vehicle if you get up to it - it helps to have the stun mines.
At that point in the game (It's still pretty early) I did not have the cargo fulton +2 so that was out of the question. Instead I read the mission description and the obvious "Recommended weapon: rocket launcher" to get the gist of what I had to do. You only need to destroy one vehicle to complete the mission, but obviously you want to do better. My only try in that mission I deployed in the ruins to the south because I didn't realize that the enemies were moving to the north and that I'd miss a bunch of APCs by doing so.

Spoiler: Long-winded AAR (click to show/hide)
I still got a fairly low rank (B or C) because of 6 combat alerts. It's probably best to somehow keep the enemies alerted constantly so you lose less points. Also the communications equipment at that base had been knocked out already so that helped.

I don't even use the sneaking suit, I prefer camo. It might be my MGS3 love bleeding through, but footstep noise isn't even a problem once you get sneaking down. You can also kind of cheap it out if you tap sneak repeatedly instead of holding it, causing Snake to take partial steps foreward while not making noise.
I like camo too, I just wish there was a better indication on whether it was working or not. The tiger stripe camo (which I don't really like the look of) claims to be better at blending in to rocks but I've seen rocks that look like they'd be better to blend in with using the desert fox camo. I also wish there were more than, what, 9-ish camos in the game?
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 124